[comp.sys.mac.games] Other Battlesets for Harpoon?

zag@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Zack Gardner) (02/16/91)

Are there any additional battlesets (other than GIUK) available
for Harpoon on the Mac? I saw someone playing a Mediterranean
scenario on an IBM pc.

Zack

steve@pinet.aip.org (Steve Lushing) (02/20/91)

There is a new battleset called NAVC (North Atlantic Convoy) which is
basically alot of convoy action. You can try to contact Three-sixty
( 2402 Broadmoor, Building B, Suite 201, Bryan , Texas, 77803)
--
Stephen M. LuShing                           INTERNET: steve@pinet.aip.org
System Development                           BITNET: steve@aip.bitnet

jimvons@dbase.A-T.COM (Jim von Schmacht) (02/20/91)

The North Atlantic Convoy Battleset is available now fro the MAC.  Scenario
editor is forthcoming.

--
Jim von Schmacht    Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation
Disclaimer: Standard Issue

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb15.232639.15637@midway.uchicago.edu> zag@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Zack Gardner) writes:

>Are there any additional battlesets (other than GIUK) available
>for Harpoon on the Mac? I saw someone playing a Mediterranean
>scenario on an IBM pc.

  Yes!!! NACV is now available and it is AWESOME!!!!  It's alot of convoy
work, but who said convoys can't have Carriers???
  I love the Soviet naval forces and love to make the capitalist forces
drink lots of water.  Almost half of the 16 scenarios have a US carrier
in them, or at least a Brit, Spanish, or French carrier.  Those non-US
carriers are "like the buzzing of flies to me."
  My favorite moment : Having 20 Backfires fire 60 Kitchens on a carrier
from the "wrong" direction.  The carrier's F-14s completely killed 20
of my Bears south of the convoy, but that wasn't the real attack, hehehe!
BOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!  Poor little carrier!

|     John Taggart Gorman Jr.    | "I'm a no rust build up man myself."
|                                |          -Christian Slater
| jtgorman@caslon.cs.arizona.edu |             in 'Heathers'

ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) (02/21/91)

Does the NACV include the all-new Soviet Kremlin CVN class aircraft carrier!?!?
Is Three-Sixty planning to release another battleset soon at the near feature?
What about the scenario editor they promised?  When will that be out?
                                       ASB

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (02/21/91)

In article <91051.121417ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) writes:
>Does the NACV include the all-new Soviet Kremlin CVN class aircraft carrier!?!?
>Is Three-Sixty planning to release another battleset soon at the near feature?
>What about the scenario editor they promised?  When will that be out?
>                                       ASB
  Unfortunately, no Tbilisi.  However, the battle in NACV are not really
ship to ship.  The surface elemenst of the Soviet Northen Red Banner fleet
do not reall have convoy attack duties written in their orders.  It is
a job for the Submarine and Naval Aviation arms of the Navy.
  There is, however, the Baku, which is the last of the Kiev line, and is
mighty powerful.  Also appearing with the Baku is the Kalinin, whichg is
the 4th ship in the Kirov class, of which each ship is really a subclass.

  A would suppose that the Med. scenarios would be next, then the
Persian Gulf.  I beleive the Med set is already available for the IBM, so
it should be on it's way.
  As for the editor, like the card says, sometime in March, though I do
not know, since I am not an inside source, just somebody who loves the
game.

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (02/21/91)

>>Does the NACV include the all-new Soviet Kremlin CVN class aircraft carrier?!?

>  Unfortunately, no Tbilisi....
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
>  There is, however, the Baku, which is the last of the Kiev line, and is
>mighty powerful.        ^^^^^^

FYI, the Soviet Navy announced some months ago that it was renaming major
ships named after the capitals of rebellious republics.  The BAKU, named
for the capital of Kazakhistan (I think), will be renamed ADMIRAL OF THE
SOVIET UNION GORSHKOV; the TBILISI, from the Georgian capital, will become
ADMIRAL OF THE FLEET KUZNETZOV (cut his WHAT off?); finally, the RIGA, of
Baltic fame, will be rechristened VARYAG -- a classic Russian cruiser name
formerly borne by a KYNDA-class cruiser, now presumably stricken.

This info was derived from the Jan. '91 edition of _Naval Institute
Proceedings_.  Also included in the brief was the history of the person-
alities mentioned above:

Admiral Kuznetzov was Stalin's Naval Chief, both before and after WWII,
and was responsible for the massive building program that produced the
SVERDLOV- and SKORYY-classes, plus reportedly carriers.  His successor
(after Stalin's death, Kuznetzov was discarded with his program) was
Admiral Gorshkov, who was apparently appointed to preside over the death
of the Soviet surface fleet, but managed to save the fleet by transforming
it.

-shane

national insecurity advisor

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (02/21/91)