[comp.sys.mac.games] Falcon 2.2.1 under 6.0.7 on a Mac II?

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (02/22/91)

Well, I'm bummed.  I upgraded Falcon from 2.0.1 to 2.2.1 and now have
an unplayable game.  Setup:

	Mac II, 5M memory, Apple RGB monitor and card
	System 6.0.7
	all foreign INITs and CDEVs removed

I ran under Finder and MultiFinder (Falcon application set to 1500),
with the RAM cache off and set to 1024K, with and without sound turned
on, and all permutations of the above.

Problems galore: the "Slow Down" option has no effect, clicking
outside the "name" dialog box freezes things, sounds do not always
work properly, etc.  I assume the sounds problem is due to the new
Sound Manager in 6.0.7.  I called Spectrum Holobyte and had a useless
but polite conversation.

Has anyone been running Falcon 2.2.1 with a similar setup?  Will
digging up a 6.0.5 minimal bootable floppy help?  Yuk.  The game is
essentially unplayable without "Slow Down".  Why oh why can't they
make it CPU-speed independent...

Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
1396 Physics Building
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776

rbasow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/23/91)

In article <6868@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
> Well, I'm bummed.  I upgraded Falcon from 2.0.1 to 2.2.1 and now have
> an unplayable game.  Setup:
>
> 	Mac II, 5M memory, Apple RGB monitor and card
> 	System 6.0.7
> 	all foreign INITs and CDEVs removed>
> Problems galore: the "Slow Down" option has no effect, clicking
> outside the "name" dialog box freezes things, sounds do not always
> work properly, etc.  I assume the sounds problem is due to the new
> Sound Manager in 6.0.7.  I called Spectrum Holobyte and had a useless
> but polite conversation.
>
> Has anyone been running Falcon 2.2.1 with a similar setup?  Will
> digging up a 6.0.5 minimal bootable floppy help?  Yuk.  The game is
> essentially unplayable without "Slow Down".  Why oh why can't they
> make it CPU-speed independent...

First of all, get rid of 6.0.7 unless you have a NEW (ie classic, IIsi, LC)
mac.  An Apple rep told me that you really shouldn't be using that version
on the older machines.  Then see if it works correctly.

Clay Romeiser--