[comp.sys.mac.games] Humpback

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Scott Wood) (05/04/90)

no documentations with it.  I couldn't make heads or tails of the game.  I mean
how do you get a camel through the eye of a needle???

		Also:  I need a good copy program to get some of the unbroken
copies of my games (i.e. Sub Battle sim, and Mean Eighteen golf) onto my HD.
					SWood

nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) (05/04/90)

In article <945@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Scott Wood) writes:
>no documentations with it.  I couldn't make heads or tails of the game.  I mean
>how do you get a camel through the eye of a needle???

I think Humpback is just an elaborate red herring, i.e., there's no way to
win.  I don't know for sure, though.

Chris Nebel
nebel@wam.umd.edu

jpulliam@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jacqueline Pulliam) (05/05/90)

>no documentations with it.  I couldn't make heads or tails of the game.  I mean
>how do you get a camel through the eye of a needle???

Gotcha is, I think, the correct response.  Obviously, you didn't bear
with it as long as I did...after about 20 minutes of trying, you'll
get an interesting note from the designer.  Have fun!  :-)

thalen@reed.UUCP (Thalen, son of chaos) (05/05/90)

In article <...etc...> Scott Wood writes:
>I just recently ftp'd the game humpback from stanford, and there were
>no documentations with it.  I couldn't make heads or tails of the game.  I mean
>how do you get a camel through the eye of a needle???

Joke.  It's a joke.  It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a
needle than for a rich man to go to heaven.  Get it?  Joke.  (Sheesh.)

>		Also:  I need a good copy program to get some of the unbroken
>copies of my games (i.e. Sub Battle sim, and Mean Eighteen golf) onto my HD.
>					SWood

     I can personally recommend Copy II Mac (actually copy II hard drive).  A
great thing to have, as long as it doesn't tempt you into illegal copies...

                                            Thalen, a Font of Wisdom

cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) (05/07/90)

Please, also remember:

Humpback was released, I believe, on the April issue of the disk
magazine UpTime.

That's April, people.  Like April Fool's?

Humpback is in the same vein that that "IBM's making a $1000 Mac clone
that has 24 bit color, an internal modem, hard drive, and 100%
compatibility" joke that either MacUser or MacWorld ran in >their< April
issues.

|              |                      |                                    |
| Chris Parker |  cp26@andrew.cmu.edu |   "Look!  It's a witty comment!"   |
|              |                      |                                    |

wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum) (05/07/90)

>That's April, people.  Like April Fool's?
>
>Humpback is in the same vein that that "IBM's making a $1000 Mac clone
>that has 24 bit color, an internal modem, hard drive, and 100%
>compatibility" joke that either MacUser or MacWorld ran in >their< April
>issues.

> Chris Parker |  cp26@andrew.cmu.edu |   "Look!  It's a witty comment!"   |

...of course, then there's that AppleTree rumor that MacUser ran in their
May issue that seems like it was an April joke....

| William illiam Lee Nussbaum, Jr.
|   >> InterNet: wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
|      >> CompuServe: 72401.3554 (@compuserve.com)
|  <attach usual non-representation disclaimer>

dlinder@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/23/90)

Could someone tell me what is the point and how to play Humpback (apparently
you have to shove a camel through the eye of a needle!)?

wscott@ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct22.123036.34733@eagle.wesleyan.edu> dlinder@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Could someone tell me what is the point and how to play Humpback (apparently
>you have to shove a camel through the eye of a needle!)?

The person who wrote humpback was tring to see how dumb people could be!
Try playing with it for more than a 1/2 hour.  It start giving messages.

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET:   wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:     wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:      {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David Worenklein) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct22.234748.6425@ecn.purdue.edu> wscott@ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) writes:
>In article <1990Oct22.123036.34733@eagle.wesleyan.edu> dlinder@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>>Could someone tell me what is the point and how to play Humpback (apparently
>>you have to shove a camel through the eye of a needle!)?
>
>The person who wrote humpback was tring to see how dumb people could be!
>Try playing with it for more than a 1/2 hour.  It start giving messages.

Ah, the losses one suffers when one is deprived of a classical education.  I
seem to recall a verse in the book of Matthew (XIX:23) "Amen I say to you,
with difficulty will a rich man enter the kingdom of heaven.  And further I
say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than
for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."
  What Jesus was trying to say, in my opinion, is that it is very difficult for
a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven; for a camel to pass through the eye
of a needle is not an easy task -- and THAT is the point of the game.  As for
how to play, it does not really matter.

			== David Worenklein ==

PS I seem to recall seeing the exact same discussion last year.

=============================================================[]
    Columbia University's Jewish Theatre Ensemble            []
                  proudly presents                           []
                                                             []
        H  E  L  L  O         D  O  L  L  Y  !               []
                                                             []
         November 15th, 17th and 18th  at 8pm                []
  Altschul Auditorium (School of International Affairs)      []
    Tickets $4 w/ CUID $6 w/o CUID  Patron seats $10         []
  For more info call Carolyn 427-6833 or Marc 853-7945       []
=============================================================[]
\     "Always look on the bright side of life."       \
 \           -Monty Python's Life of Brian             \
  \-----------------------------------------------------\

jacobw@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob S Weinstein) (02/20/91)

	Does anyone out there know if the public domain game "Humpback",
featuring a camel and a needle, actually has a point? (No pun intended.)
After playing around with it for a while, I assumed it was a very clever
gag, but I recently read something that leads me to think one can
actually play it. Can anyone out there tell me if I'm being duped?
	-Jacob

ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ali Lemer) (02/20/91)

In article <6408@idunno.Princeton.EDU> jacobw@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob S Weinstein) writes:

>	Does anyone out there know if the public domain game "Humpback",
>featuring a camel and a needle, actually has a point? (No pun intended.)
>After playing around with it for a while, I assumed it was a very clever
>gag, but I recently read something that leads me to think one can
>actually play it. Can anyone out there tell me if I'm being duped?
>	-Jacob

  After attempting it a few times, I think there honestly is no point. I
believe it was almost an exercise in application design for some lonely hacker
or something...it's a cute idea, though.

			-- Ali.

Ali Lemer		     | "You're not a tramp. You're a stripper.
Columbia University  	     |	That's a career." -- Sam Beckett,
ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu   |	                      QUANTUM LEAP

kraljev@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gabriel Michael Kraljevic) (02/22/91)

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a
rich man to enter heaven."  (paraphrased from the Bible).

We had a fun time trying to find out what the program was supposed to do until
someone mentioned this phrase. I agree, it's a neat, but pointless, program

Gabe Kraljevic
Computer Services.

fmidgley@bathe.Princeton.EDU (Frank Murray Midgley) (02/22/91)

If you look at the last line of the docs for Humpback, there are some Cairo or
Mobile characters( I forget which).  If you translate these, it says something
like,"Ancient Persian proverb says, one cannot fit a camel through the eye of a
needle."  Finding this saved me a _lot_ of wasted time.
| fmidgley@phoenix.princeton.edu  |    This space left blank due to a lack    |
|                                 |                                           |
| "Your fault -- core dumped."    |    of imagination.          So sue me.    |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

jacobw@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob S Weinstein) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.185155.24067@ccu.umanitoba.ca> kraljev@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gabriel Michael Kraljevic) writes:
>"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a
>rich man to enter heaven."  (paraphrased from the Bible).
>
>We had a fun time trying to find out what the program was supposed to do until
>someone mentioned this phrase. I agree, it's a neat, but pointless, program

Well, I knew that it was a clever play on the old phrase... Nine years
of going to an Episcopal school taught me that! What I read about
Humpback was something like:
"This is a frustrating game, until you figure it out."

Now I see that might just mean "... until you figure out that it's just
a joke." I dunno. Either way, I feel stupid. If there is a point, and
I'm
assuming it's a joke, I'm being stupid, and if there isn't a point, abnd
I'm wasting bandwith with this, I'm being stupid.

	I think I'll shut up now.
-Jacob Weinstein

peter@viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.014545.8283@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ali Lemer) writes:
|> In article <6408@idunno.Princeton.EDU> jacobw@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob S Weinstein) writes:
|> >
|> >	Does anyone out there know if the public domain game "Humpback",
|> >featuring a camel and a needle, actually has a point? (No pun intended.)
|> >After playing around with it for a while, I assumed it was a very clever
|> >gag, but I recently read something that leads me to think one can
|> >actually play it. Can anyone out there tell me if I'm being duped?
|>
|>   After attempting it a few times, I think there honestly is no point. I
|> believe it was almost an exercise in application design for some lonely hacker
|> or something...it's a cute idea, though.

	Actually, there is a very significant point. There is a verse somewhere
in the Bible that says (approximately) "It is easier for a camel to get through
the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven."

	Once upon a time, back in the days of net.sources.mac, there was a
huge discussion related to this "game". This discussion gets revisited every
once-in-a-while as new Mac users discover these ancient programs.

	Peter C
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

bkuo@girtab.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (02/23/91)

Hmm. If you think Humback is dated, I have a few 400K disks with things which
weren't even complete: Obmar, Buzz Buzz; strange things like Wizard's Fire,
forty versions of Missle Command (Mac Command/etc); original versions of
Amazing, Banzai, and even an original disk of "The Quest" 400K and copy-
protected to death.

To think, no one even thought much about digitized sound or offscreen
bitmaps back then... :-)

Benjamin Kuo