[comp.sys.mac.games] Spaceward Ho! - can anybody beat ingenious co

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/25/91)

In article <922@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:
>In article <22557@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
>>has anybody managed to beat the computer when its rated at "ingenious".
>>if so, could you share your secrets.  i keep getting slaughtered - they
>>seem to be able to build huge battlefleets faster than i can build
>>satellites to defend myself.  and when i try to attack them, they have
>>usually over 200 ships at a planet, and i get wiped out.
>
>  I have beat 'em twice, and that's in play two games.  In other words, I've
>beat him every time.

The first time I played verses the computer in ingenious mode, I creamed
him.  Colonize, build up lots of metal, then cram the tech, then destroy
the computer with large fleets.  No sweat.

So, then I decided to play vs. two computer opponents.  I got creamed.
Never saw the second computer player, but the first out-colonized me
(how, I'm amazed...), out-tech'ed me, out-everything.

One of the things I like about Spaceward Ho! is there's a lot of luck
involved -- just like the real world.  I started out one game with
no colonizable planets within 11.  So, I had to sit there and jack up
my tech so I could reach them.  Meanwhile, Mr. Computer is having a jolly
time colonizing and I finally end up running into him after only
colonizing a single planet.  Needless to say, I was utterly destroyed.

Here's my only gripe so far -- once the computer has taken over every
world, except one, it sits there.  I had a single planet, no metal,
and I couldn't do anything.  Come on, just kill me off and be kind...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET:kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu