[comp.sys.mac.games] Ideas about Spaceward Ho!

wildfire@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Douglas B Rusch) (02/23/91)

  Ihave been working on a game like Spaceward Ho! for years in my spare
time. When I saw Spaceward Ho! come out, I rushed out and got it to see
what other people have done. Anyways after getting over my addiction to
Spaceward Ho! I decided to start up on my game again. Anyways there are
several things I would change but I'd like some input on this.

1st - I think there should be tankers. Its a pain in the ass to have to build
	a whole colony ship just to get some ships off a useless world. It
	would be a lot easier just to build a cheap tanker which is expendable
	rather than risk the expensive colony ship.
2nd - I would have Shipyards. Spaceward Ho! makes every planet the same,
	they have little importance strategically except in the beginning
	when you may only have one or two planets. Shipyards while
	making a game more intricate give some planets a much greater
	value than others, so now you have something to protect other
	than a shapeless interstellar empire.

  These are my two first big changes, amoung others I would like shorter
turns (in time, 10 years is just too long for any tactical situations).
Repair bases similar to shipyards ( and of course this implies damaged ships).
Also I have been toying with the idea of removing the metal requirement
and replacing it with a maintanence cost to keep a fleet operating.

  Some of these ideas come from other board games like Axis & Allies and
Federation & Empire. The idea is to make a game with many levels of
intricacy without adding too much towards the bueracracy of completing
a turn.

  Well those are some of the ideas I have had. Now, if I should finish
this game, how do I go about making it available (probobly as shareware,
but maybe just available for free). Most importantly, do I need to
get permission and/or copyright inorder to make the game available for
widespread beta testing?

Wildfire@AIX.RPI.EDU

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (02/26/91)

In article <Y5`&36@rpi.edu> wildfire@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Douglas B Rusch) writes:

>Ihave been working on a game like Spaceward Ho! for years in my spare
>time. When I saw Spaceward Ho! come out, I rushed out and got it to see
>what other people have done. Anyways after getting over my addiction to
>Spaceward Ho! I decided to start up on my game again. Anyways there are
>several things I would change but I'd like some input on this.
>
>1st - I think there should be tankers. Its a pain in the ass to have to build
>      a whole colony ship just to get some ships off a useless world. It
>      would be a lot easier just to build a cheap tanker which is expendable
>      rather than risk the expensive colony ship.

I mentioned this to them in my feedback.

>2nd - I would have Shipyards. Spaceward Ho! makes every planet the same,
>      they have little importance strategically except in the beginning
>      when you may only have one or two planets. Shipyards while
>      making a game more intricate give some planets a much greater
>      value than others, so now you have something to protect other
>      than a shapeless interstellar empire.

Possibly, but there are other things I think it could use first.

Other things I mentioned in my feedback were:

  I'd like to see it possible for the various players to form some
sort of allia nces with each other.  This can be as simple as a
3-stage relations variable for each other player (Friendly, Neutral,
Hostile), which allows players who are fr iendly to stop over at each
others' planets and refuel, share common cause again st a foe, etc.
Perhaps all that should be allowed is for Friendly players to be able
to refuel and 'hop' on friendly planets; perhaps allied attacks should
als o be possible.  If alliances were implemented, there might need to
be a lag-time between changing alliance status and being able to
attack.  Perhaps you have to wait across an update (or 2) so that you
couldn't declare yourself friendly, mo ve in, then do a surprise
declaration of hostile and attack when your pal's pant s are down.
Then again...  On the other hand, you could break off ties with a
(former) ally by changing your status with her, thus causing their
fleets around your planets to be bumped back to the nearest home
planet or some such (this wou ld be tough because there's no concept
of being "in space" in Ho!).

  You should be able to change your password whenever you want.  If a
friend has guessed or knows your password, they can keep checking on
you when you're not around.  If you have a "Change Password..."
option, then if they changed your password, at least you'd know it.
Otherwise, when you changed you rs, you'd be safe again.  An obvious
problem is that you allow People to use the same Login name (I think).
If so, they cannot be allowed to change their passw ord to one in use
by a same-named player (but this would let them know the other
player's password).  Ah well, there are ways around that.

  You should gain some portion of the planet's stockpiled riches when
you take a planet.  Perhaps you should get a percentage of the
conquered player's metal st ockpiles equal to the percentage of total
income provided by the conquered plane t.  I don't know.  I just think
there should be some benefit of taking a planet.

Eliminating a player: Even if you can't do the above (because metal is
not really located anywhere s pecific), you should definitely get all
of an eliminated player's metal reserves and income when you wipe him
o ut.  A problem here is what if 2 players each attack and take the
last 2 planets of a player--do they split the spoils?  Could be.

  I think that ships should be allowed to pull out of a combat if they
feel they are getting trounced.  For instance, maybe set a flag for
each fleet that says when it will retreat, and to where.  Retreats
could be called when half the flee t is destroyed, when the first ship
in a fleet is destroyed, when outnumbered, etc.

Spy Ships: Related to this idea is the idea of a new kind of tech
and/or ship: a Spy Ship (or Stealth tech).  This allows you to creep
into a system, scope it out, and l eave, without getting into battle.
Maybe if you're noticed, you have to pull ou t, and you can only get
so much information on a star per update.

Distant Early Warning: If you had some notice when ships were
approaching (maybe all you know is when s hips other than your are in
the vicinity), it would be helpful.  Even if ships j ust pass by your
system on the way to another, you might get false alarms, but i t'd be
fun.

Anyway, those were my thoughts.

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California