[comp.sys.mac.games] SimEarth: how good is it?

palvarez@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Pablo Alvarez) (02/24/91)

I've been thinking about buying SimEarth, so I'd like to know what
people who have played the game think about it.

-Did you like it?

-How realistic is it?

-How good a feeling does it give you for how changes in ecology and
society interact?

-Do you recommend it?

-Other comments?

Please email answer to palvarez@ucsd.edu

Thank you

Pablo R Alvarez (palvarez@ucsd.edu, PALVAREZ@UCSD.BITNET)
--
Pablo R Alvarez (palvarez@ucsd.edu)

nudnik@buhub.bradley.edu (Steven Parks) (02/24/91)

In <16954@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> palvarez@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Pablo Alvarez) writes:

>I've been thinking about buying SimEarth, so I'd like to know what
>people who have played the game think about it.
>-Did you like it?
	Yes...  for about one to two hours at a time...
>-How realistic is it?
	The events the user can control are realistic within themselves,
	  but in terms of a planet itself, we might never know.  =)
>-How good a feeling does it give you for how changes in ecology and
>society interact?
	If this program is truly cause-effect, then it could be used in
	  high scools and colleges (I think I heard that it already is!)
>-Do you recommend it?
	Yes.  Not only for entertainment, but for educational (don't get
	  scared away...!) purposes, too.
>-Other comments?
 	The black and white version is excellent, but once I get a color
	  monitor...  I can just imagine.
>Thank you
	You're welcome.
>Pablo R Alvarez (palvarez@ucsd.edu, PALVAREZ@UCSD.BITNET)
>--
>Pablo R Alvarez (palvarez@ucsd.edu)
	Steven Parks
--
   ____________                 _____________________________________________
 / Steven Parks \ ___________ / "I have the power to be MY best;  do you?"    \

RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu (02/28/91)

In article <16954@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, palvarez@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Pablo Alvarez) says:

>I've been thinking about buying SimEarth, so I'd like to know what
>people who have played the game think about it.

>-Did you like it?

>-How realistic is it?

>-How good a feeling does it give you for how changes in ecology and
>society interact?

>-Do you recommend it?

>-Other comments?

  The game is great fun as such.

  The accuracy of its elements is questionable.  The atmosphere and ocean
are particularly dubious.  Though that may be a function of the fact that
I do research in climate dynamics.  One thing missing from the atmosphere,
for example, is the multiple latitudes of local rain maxima (roughly
the equator and then 45 North or South).  The ocean has no Gulf Stream, for
instance, which means that 'Europe' in the model is too cold.  Antarctica
on the other hand is far too warm (it is even inhabited!)

  In spite of my misgivings about the accuracy of the details, SimEarth
does a very good job of letting the various elements interact with each
other.  This is the part that makes things interesting in the game, and
it does succeed there.

  I reviewed the game for a faculty member here who was thinking of using
it in an advanced class on climate (400 level).  My feeling then (and still)
is that because of its interactions it would be worth the time, in spite
of the errors in the components.

Enjoy,
Bob Grumbine
Penn. State doesn't even know I'm here.  Why would you think that I represent
them?

scott@valid.com (Scott Gustafson) (03/02/91)

palvarez@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Pablo Alvarez) writes:

>-Did you like it?
	It is a very fun and complex game.

>-How realistic is it?
	Realistic in the sense that reptiles can become the sentient
	species, rule the world, and achieve Exodus (my only time).

>-How good a feeling does it give you for how changes in ecology and
>society interact?
	I gave me a good feel on the interactions.
	I like the way you could turn up the sun rays make it rain more
	and turn your planet into a tropical rain forest.

>-Do you recommend it?
	Yes.

>-Other comments?
	Be prepared for a 2 - 3 hour game that goes on and on and on ...
	But, before the game, read the manual, lots of very usefull info
	in there.
--
Scott Gustafson		(408) 944-4672 me	(408) 553-8713 beeper
Valid Logic Systems, 3 West Plumeria M.S.-C1, San Jose, CA  95134