[comp.sys.mac.games] Shadowgate

ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) (10/10/90)

It's me again.  With a little help from people on the net, and a lot of
collaborative thinking with a friend, I've gotten to the point where I think
I need to open the door next to the well (in the room past the gargoyles).
Where is the key to unlock this door?

--

T. Tim Hsu                           UUCP    ...pur-ee!ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
                                     ARPA    ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (10/15/90)

In article <14967@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) writes:

>It's me again.  With a little help from people on the net, and a lot of
>collaborative thinking with a friend, I've gotten to the point where I think
>I need to open the door next to the well (in the room past the gargoyles).
>Where is the key to unlock this door?

Tim -- there is no key to that door.

You need to go down the well.

-shane d deichman

ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) (10/17/90)

Thanks for everyone who responded.  Maybe I should be more clear next time.
I've already made it to the warlord, and get fried by him.  I figured that I
might not have everything I need which is why I asked about the door near the
well.  A better question would have been, I've got the orb and spike/staff
combo, I'm attacking the warlock and he fries me, what gives?  The shield and
cloak don't seem to help either.

I'd send out more direct inquires, but I'm sick and have been sick for days,
so this is easier.  Hints would be more appreciated than anything else.
Thanks in advance.

--

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (10/17/90)

>well.  A better question would have been, I've got the orb and spike/staff
>combo, I'm attacking the warlock and he fries me, what gives?  The shield and
>cloak don't seem to help either.

Tim --

Remember the scroll in the "epor" room?  Read it again....

Spoiler alert

Perhaps you ARE missing something....

Is the staff complete?

It SHOULD have three parts....

That's all for now....  I'll give you more hints if I see another posting....

-sdd

jost@alice.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost) (10/18/90)

In article <15220@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) writes:

>Thanks for everyone who responded.  Maybe I should be more clear next time.
>I've already made it to the warlord, and get fried by him.  I figured that I
>might not have everything I need which is why I asked about the door near the
>well.  A better question would have been, I've got the orb and spike/staff
>combo, I'm attacking the warlock and he fries me, what gives?  The shield and
>cloak don't seem to help either.

OK, think about this...what else is there in that scene? Now that you've
seen what the orb/spike/staff can do, think about it! Attackin him doesn't
work...what else can you do?!

Good luck,

PJ

--

Patrick Jost (PJester)       | "The thief of Baghdad hides in Islington now"

jost@coyote.trw.com          |              -Marillion (Fish)

malryan@runx.oz.au (Malcolm Ryan) (02/24/91)

A while ago someone posted here about how to get into the
secret room beyong the avalanche, up those stairs, in Shadowgate.
The methid suggested was complicated... I've forgotten it now.
I tried it at the time, and couldn't get it to work.
Whoever posted the hint also offered to mail a Save file of the
game all set up to go up there to anyone who asked.

Now I have mailed that address and have had no reply.

My question: Have I been duped? Is there really no such secret room?
              Or has there been a mail stuff up and whoever it was
               never received my request? They both seem likely.

I have lost the address, so if someone could mail me about it at:

malryan@runxtsa.runx.oz

Thanx in advance. Malcolm Ryan

mike@simon.sa.co.umist.ac.uk (Mike Reddy) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb24.030333.444@runx.oz.au> malryan@runx.oz.au (Malcolm Ryan) writes:
>A while ago someone posted here about how to get into the
>secret room beyong the avalanche, up those stairs, in Shadowgate.
[Stuff deleted!]
>Now I have mailed that address and have had no reply.
>My question: Have I been duped? Is there really no such secret room?

No you haven't, yes there is!

>I have lost the address, so if someone could mail me about it at:
>malryan@runxtsa.runx.oz

I received a binhexed version of the saved game from the person concerned
quite quickly! I'd have to go away to find the relevant email address though.
Perhaps if the person concerned is watching, a copy could be posted to
comp.binaries.mac?

So long as you fiddle around with the bottle enough (it has to be on the
second step visible in the crack) and follow the instructions to the letter,
you cannot go wrong:

1) Position bottle with lid closed (it comes open initially I think)

2)load sling with stone (there are loads here) unless already loaded,

3) OPERATE lit torch on bottle (you should get a message saying the bottle
does not burn)

4) OPERATE sling on bottle.

If you have positioned the bottle correctly, there will be a bang and you can
enter a room with some objects in it

As an aside, do these help with the game at all?

Secondly, there was a rumour of another secret room somewhere. Can anyone
confirm this, and tell me how to get access.
--
Mike Reddy, inventor of the famous recursive footnote[1]
mike@umist.computation.suna / m.reddy@umist

[1] Famous Recursive Footnote (See Footnote [1]).

adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar1.102242.8401@cns.umist.ac.uk> mike@simon.sa.co.umist.ac.uk (Mike Reddy) writes:

>So long as you fiddle around with the bottle enough (it has to be on the
>second step visible in the crack) and follow the instructions to the letter,
>you cannot go wrong:
>
>2)load sling with stone (there are loads here) unless already loaded,
>3) OPERATE lit torch on bottle (you should get a message saying the bottle
>does not burn)
>4) OPERATE sling on bottle.
>
>If you have positioned the bottle correctly, there will be a bang and you can
>enter a room with some objects in it
>
>Mike Reddy, inventor of the famous recursive footnote[1]
>mike@umist.computation.suna / m.reddy@umist

  Just wondering, exactly which bottle is to be used?  Is it the bottle found
in the globe?  I tried it to no avail.  If it is that bottle, then I merely
must not be putting it the precise spot.  Anyway, I don't think any extra items
are crucial to solving the game, since most people solved the game
without them.

-Tony Chen
 adchen@phoenix.princeton.edu