[comp.sys.mac.games] Spaceward Ho! 1.1 bug/feature: Limits on number of fleets

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (02/27/91)

>OK, bug or feature?
>
>I have a habit of leaving a scout ship on any planet I'm not colonizing (and
>that isn't being occupied by an enemy :-) ), and thus rack up a lot of
>individual fleets, since a fleet is assigned to each scoutship.  Last night,
>on reaching Fleet #100, I started having problems where:
>
>    When trying to separate a fleet of four ships into four seperate fleets
>    with the Clover-F function, the "New" button is grayed out, so that I
>    can't create any new fleets.
>
>    When a new ship is built on a planet, it is announced in the game log,
>    but when I click on the planet, the ship is nowhere to be seen --
>    unless a fleet was already there, which is made up of that type of ship.
>
>When I start scrapping other fleets, however, I'm able to begin creating new
>fleets.  (Fleet #101, 102, etc.)

Feature. There is currently a limit to the number of fleets that can be created
at one time. Satellites do not count as fleets.

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (03/05/91)

In <1991Feb26.225423.16943@Neon.Stanford.EDU> commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:

>>OK, bug or feature?
>>
>>I have a habit of leaving a scout ship on any planet I'm not colonizing (and
>>that isn't being occupied by an enemy :-) ), and thus rack up a lot of
>>individual fleets, since a fleet is assigned to each scoutship.  Last night,
>>on reaching Fleet #100, I started having problems where:
>>
>>    When trying to separate a fleet of four ships into four seperate fleets
>>    with the Clover-F function, the "New" button is grayed out, so that I
>>    can't create any new fleets.
>>
>>    When a new ship is built on a planet, it is announced in the game log,
>>    but when I click on the planet, the ship is nowhere to be seen --
>>    unless a fleet was already there, which is made up of that type of ship.
>>

>Feature. There is currently a limit to the number of fleets that can be created
>at one time. Satellites do not count as fleets.

Peter explained this to me in more detail: apparently, there's a limit of
around 50 fleets.  (However, since there seems to be several "kinds" of
fleets: Fleets, Scout Fleets and Colony Fleets, it may be 50 for each
category -- I'm not sure about 50 being the right number.)  By scrapping
fleets, more are made available.  Most important, if you create a ship on a
planet with no fleets, and you're "out of fleets", it doesn't just disappear
-- it gets added to another one of your fleet, somewhere else in the galaxy.

(Thanks, Peter.)

*Sigh*  Spent another enjoyable 8 hours on S.H. this weekend.  So much for
getting those Christmas thank-you letters out.... :-)

               SELECTIONS from ECLECTIC MUSIC SURVEY #5: Ringo Starr

                           "Just can't get no respect. I'd trade respect for
                            his wife, though."
                                           -- Ken Warkentyne
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...