[comp.sys.mac.games] Advice for Harpoon GIUK scenario 12

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (03/03/91)

This one is assault on the bastion, the attack on the ruskie SSBNs.  I think
I've just about got it won.  Disregard the advice in the orders.  Kill all
surface targets you can find with missiles.  Stay away from ALL subs, except
for my strategy below, because they have standoff nukes and WILL use them.

Take out as much as possible because the Mays will find you anyway, and
dead surface ships can't shoot or launch choppers after you.  And when the bad
guys shoot torps at you, run away from them at max speed.  The ruskie torps
hit 50% of the time.  Subtract each for max speed and a depth change, and
you have a 30% chance of a hit.  Much too high, but everything but the
Sturgeons can effectively outrun them.

To really help you win, you need to take out the bases.  The only way to do
this is using nukes.  But you need to get nuclear release, so do this:
Send a crappy sub (a sturgeon is good) after the Tangos.  Make sure you cruise
when you get to 20nm so they hear you.  Or better yet, cavitate.  When your
little sacrificial Sturgeon gets nuked, lob 2 TLAM-N's at each base.  The bases
don't seem to shoot your missiles down in this one, but one nuke hit will only
do about 75% damage.  Use the rest of the Tomahawks to attack shipping, of
course.  And surface group ship #0 is the Kiev; kill it real soon.

Which reminds me of the 9 tomahawks I shot at an udaloy in this scenario.
The damn thing shot 8 SA-N-9's, then did the same 15 seconds later.  And again.
Well, 1st, my Tomahawks were first hit at 10 nm.  The SA-N-9's range is 8nm.
2nd, the Udaloy has 2 launchers with 2 tubes, for 4 missiles per launch.
3rd, you are only supposed to be able to shoot these every 30 seconds.
Sigh.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) (03/04/91)

In article <225@victoria.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
>This one is assault on the bastion, the attack on the ruskie SSBNs.  I think
>I've just about got it won.  Disregard the advice in the orders.  Kill all
>surface targets you can find with missiles.  Stay away from ALL subs, except
>for my strategy below, because they have standoff nukes and WILL use them.

  Well!  That answers one question of how to nail the bases.  After having been
totalled several times, I finally got all my cruise missile subs away safely
until they were a mile or two offshore with the Russians having no idea where
I was.  So I launched every cruise missile at the bases.  I managed to injure
*one* to 10%.  Thrill of a lifetime.

  Still, it's true, if you are discovered, you are dead.  There will be air
assets over your head in no time flat, and it's the rare sub that can escape
the ASW aircraft one you are discovered.  It seems like it would be rather
difficult to get close to the subs.  If they discover you before you are
in their missile range, you won't last long enough to get close enough
for them to nuke you!

					Tom West
					west@turing.toronto.edu
					tomwest@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (03/05/91)

Can you dock at any port to resupply the ships?

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (03/05/91)

In article <12588@ur-cc.UUCP> jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) writes:
>Can you dock at any port to resupply the ships?

There are no NATO ports in this scenario, but if you mean in general, I have no
idea.  I'll ask a friend who works for 360.

I won this scenario over the weekend, and have this to report: you can beat
the ASW air; the torps go 33 knots, and your subs go almost as fast (except for
the sturgeons).  But as you get closer they will swarm and toast you.  So nuke
the bases.

Send an American sub up against the SSBNs if possible; the 16nm range of
TigerFish (why don't they have SpearFish in NACV?  They have Sea Lance!)
just doesn't cut it.

This scenario had me begging for SUBROC...or a few carriers!