[net.railroad] Turning the Seats Around

In article <1767@brl-tgr.ARPA> dennis@CSNET-SH.ARPA writes:

>On a recent D.C. to Boston run the conductor said that the seating was
>reversible (this was on an Amcoach), but that they just turn the whole train
>around at the Boston end because it was faster and easier.

It appears they do this on the DC end too.  There's a short section of
overhead which goes up the DC-to-P. of Rocks line, forming a turning wye.
It would be interesting to know what they do in NYC.

C. Wingate

rib@desoto.UUCP (RI Block) (01/23/86)

Suburban services which terminate at Penn Station
in New York (LIRR and NJ Transit) are not turned.
LIRR trains arrive generally arrive on Tracks 19-21 or so,
discharge and proceed to a storage yard just west of
the station. They are moved to Tracks 16-19 shortly before loading.
The "traditional" LIRR coaches (pre M1) had seats which were turned
by carmen (two hands, just walk down the aisle and flip).
I can't remember whether M1 seats are fixed, but I believe they are.

NJ Transit MU service generally use Tracks 1-4 as stubs
and load from the same platform that they discharge on.
Locomotive hauled trains terminate on tracks which allow the locomotives
to "pass" on an adjacent track and couple to the opposite end.
I don't know which locomotives are used now, but they used to be GG-1's.

Amtrack services arriving from New England via the Hell Gate Bridge
(as in New York, New Haven and Hartford, sigh)
are through services. When the New Haven was in its prime, services
which terminated in New York used to go to Grand Central Terminal.

Amtrack services arriving from South and West can be turned on
a long loop in Sunnyside yard (world's largest ?) in Queens.
The Sunnyside yard is reached through the tunnels under the East River.
To allow for the turning traffic (when Penn station was first built
in 1905 - 1910 or so, trains were "it", no planes, no interstates)
there are 4 tunnels under the East river rather than the 2 under
the North (Hudson) river.  This tunnel capacity is now mostly
used by the LIRR.

Because of NYC tunnel regulations, all underground service
is electric hauled.
Diesel hauled services on the LIRR are now double-headed,
similarly most diesel hauled services on NJ transit are double controlled
if not double headed. This eliminates the labor involved in switching
the locomotives at terminals.

I have no official connection with any of this, so there might be
some inaccuracies.

dennis@CSNET-SH.ARPA (Dennis Rockwell) (01/24/86)

	From: Charley Wingate <mangoe@umcp-cs.uucp.arpa>
	Date: 22 Jan 86 23:10:19 GMT
	Subject: Turning the Seats Around

	It would be interesting to know what they do in NYC.

There's a turning loop in the Sunnyside Yard; it passes under (?) the
corridor in the tangle where the LIRR is separating from the Hell Gate
approach tracks.

Dennis

jis1@mtgzz.UUCP (j.mukerji) (01/24/86)

> It appears they do this on the DC end too.  There's a short section of
> overhead which goes up the DC-to-P. of Rocks line, forming a turning wye.
> It would be interesting to know what they do in NYC.
>
> C. Wingate

In NYC at Sunnyside Passenger Yard they have a reversing loop. It is
accessible from the two southern tubes of the four tube East River Tunnels.
Amtrak usually uses only those two tubes. LIRR uses all four. Trains simply
pull out of Penn Station through one of the two southern tubes, go around
the reversing loop into the Sunnyside Yard for storage and servicing. The
reversing loop branches out to the southern side of the main, ducks under
the Amtrak and LIRR main line just before the bifurcation between the LIRR
main to Jamaica/Port Washington and the Amtrak main to New Rochelle across
the Hell Gate Bridge, and then enters the Sunnyside Yard (which is on the
northern side of the main lines) from its east end. The East River Tunnels
are at the west end of Sunnyside.

Jishnu Mukerji
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Middletown NJ