[comp.sys.mac.games] Knight of Diamonds -- more questions

francis@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (RD Francis) (03/07/91)

Well, I've gotten a little further in Knight of Diamonds, and I have a few
more questions

1)  There's an area on the second level that I haven't been able to get into
(roughly, it's a rectangle from 1 north, 0 east to 6 north, 2 east, or
something like that -- the area west of the stairs going down, and north of
the teleporter destination that gets you to those stairs).  Given that I've
explored the rest of level 2, and all of one and three (I think), should I
have found a way into that area?

2)  on level three, there's a place where I'm asked, "Ever consider another
line of work?"  Does this have any significance?

3)  Now the real biggie.  My 28 year old Priest has died in his bed!  His
vitality is a three, and he was due to go up a level, so I assume that when
he went up a level, his vitality drop below three, and he died.  I've got a
backup from before I started the last run through that got him enough points
to go up.  I only see a few options:
	a)  Don't run the guy through the hotel, just keep running him at
this level ad infinitum;
	b)  Save before I   take him through the hotel, and restore from
backup repeatedly when he dies, in the hope that at some point his vitality
might go up instead of down as he goes through the hotel.

Do I have a prayer (pun *not* intentional) of getting this character to
survive?  Between Kadorto and the occasional Malikto in combat, I really rely
on this guy.  I'd hate to have to replace him with my Bishop.

RDF

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (03/08/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.668359797.francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu> francis@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (RD Francis) writes:
>1)  There's an area on the second level that I haven't been able to get into
>(roughly, it's a rectangle from 1 north, 0 east to 6 north, 2 east, or
>something like that -- the area west of the stairs going down, and north of
>the teleporter destination that gets you to those stairs).  Given that I've
>explored the rest of level 2, and all of one and three (I think), should I
>have found a way into that area?

Well, as in Wizardry I, there are sometimes dead areas in the maze.  Sometimes
it's rock, sometimes empty space with either a one-way door out or no way out.
I checked this particular one out and it's empty space with a one-way exit.
You'll generally know when you've explored everywhere you're supposed to.

>2)  on level three, there's a place where I'm asked, "Ever consider another
>line of work?"  Does this have any significance?

Yes, it means you should change all your Ninjas to Bishops, your Samurais to
Lords, and your Lords to Samurais.  All lower level characters should be
changed to Bishops.  :-)  No, seriously, it's just a joke.

>3)  Now the real biggie.  My 28 year old Priest has died in his bed!  His
>vitality is a three, and he was due to go up a level, so I assume that when
>he went up a level, his vitality drop below three, and he died.  I've got a
>backup from before I started the last run through that got him enough points
>to go up.  I only see a few options:

Vitality of three!?  I think you do have some problems.

>	a)  Don't run the guy through the hotel, just keep running him at
>this level ad infinitum;

I don't think this is practical.

>	b)  Save before I   take him through the hotel, and restore from
>backup repeatedly when he dies, in the hope that at some point his vitality
>might go up instead of down as he goes through the hotel.

This would be my suggestion.  Later on you might find items that will help
you.  There are quite a few stones that increase attributes but I haven't
seen any for vitality.  Maybe one of the coins, or maybe something else...

At what age do people die of old age in this game?  28 years old for your
level of advancement sounds rather old to me.  (My oldest is 26 and level 60+.)
One trick to avoid aging and to save gold is to heal by going back into the
maze and using your spells.  The hotel ages your characters so I only use it
for checking advancement.  It takes longer to heal but I think it's worth it.
If you have Madi, it's a piece of cake.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (03/08/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.668359797.francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu>
francis@CIS.O
HIO-STATE.EDU (RD Francis) writes:
>3)  Now the real biggie.  My 28 year old Priest has died in his bed!  His
>vitality is a three, and he was due to go up a level, so I assume that when
>he went up a level, his vitality drop below three, and he died.  I've got a
>backup from before I started the last run through that got him enough points
>to go up.  I only see a few options:

Hmm. Did you cast a top level healing spell that bring a character back
from the ash often? I believe that spell takes away one vitality point
from the caster. When I played Wizardry, I made sure no character will
be the status of "ashed" by turning off the machine.

Chang
--
Chang P. Woo                                        Chang.P.Woo@dartmouth.EDU