[comp.sys.mac.games] Pool of Radiance help

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (10/30/90)

A friend of mine has just gotten a Mac IIci, and boutght Pool of
Radiance.  He tells me that he has problems rolling up any character
that has Thief as part of its class.  Any other combination is fine,
but if there's a thief in it, it crashes when he tries to roll it up.

Is this a known bug in PoR?  If so, is there a fix/workaround?

What is the consensus of PoR as a game, anyway?

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (10/31/90)

In article <15460@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>A friend of mine has just gotten a Mac IIci, and boutght Pool of
>Radiance.  He tells me that he has problems rolling up any character
>that has Thief as part of its class.  Any other combination is fine,
>but if there's a thief in it, it crashes when he tries to roll it up.
>
>Is this a known bug in PoR?  If so, is there a fix/workaround?

I don't know....  When I played it, I don't think I had any mixed
classes.  Perhaps the game crashes if you don't follow the race and
alignment restrictions?  Worth a try.... (by the way, I played on a
Mac Plus w/ System 6.0.4; maybe it's a system problem....)

>What is the consensus of PoR as a game, anyway?

I really enjoyed it; doing things in my usual unorthodox fashion, I
happened to stumble upon the Pool by 10% guile and 90% luck....

If anyone wants some spoilers, post your requests.  It's a tough ending
in the game -- took me three tries to just finish the last room!!

-shane

"The Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah"

" 'Haven't you heard? It's a battle of words!" the poster bearer cried.
'Listen, son,' said the man with the gun, 'There's room for you inside.' "

					Pink Floyd, "Us and Them"

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony Jerome Stuckey) (10/31/90)

>>A friend of mine has just gotten a Mac IIci, and boutght Pool of
>>Radiance.  He tells me that he has problems rolling up any character
>>that has Thief as part of its class.  Any other combination is fine,
>>but if there's a thief in it, it crashes when he tries to roll it up.
>>
>>Is this a known bug in PoR?  If so, is there a fix/workaround?

	I have created several characters of mixedclass, also playing on a
IIci, and I have had no problems with this.  As a matter of fact, PoR has
crashed on me once, and that was at a time when i tried to make it.

>>What is the consensus of PoR as a game, anyway?
	 Awesome.  Truly Awesome.  The one bone i really want to pick
is that i think the combat _REALLY_ sucks.
         For this reason alone, i am debating getting Curse.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.163928.26938@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony Jerome Stuckey) writes:

   >>A friend of mine has just gotten a Mac IIci, and boutght Pool of
   >>Radiance.  He tells me that he has problems rolling up any character
   >>that has Thief as part of its class.  Any other combination is fine,
   >>but if there's a thief in it, it crashes when he tries to roll it up.
   >>
   >>Is this a known bug in PoR?  If so, is there a fix/workaround?

	   I have created several characters of mixedclass, also playing on a
   IIci, and I have had no problems with this.  As a matter of fact, PoR has
   crashed on me once, and that was at a time when i tried to make it.

   >>What is the consensus of PoR as a game, anyway?
	    Awesome.  Truly Awesome.  The one bone i really want to pick
   is that i think the combat _REALLY_ sucks.
	    For this reason alone, i am debating getting Curse.

Perhaps I was unclear.  He can't even roll a straight thief, nor can
he do any combination class character.

What is the most current version of PoR?

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

dhsu@Neon.Stanford.EDU (David Hsu) (10/31/90)

	 For this reason alone, i am debating getting Curse.

Is curse out for the mac yet?  and if so, anybody know if any of the others are
going to be ported (like the dragonlance ones)?

thanks,
Dave Hsu
Dave Hsu			| Origami fish for sale:
dhsu@neon.stanford.edu		| Buy two for the halibut!

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Oleary) (10/31/90)

In article <15460@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>A friend of mine has just gotten a Mac IIci, and boutght Pool of
>Radiance.  He tells me that he has problems rolling up any character
>that has Thief as part of its class.  Any other combination is fine,
>but if there's a thief in it, it crashes when he tries to roll it up.
>
>Is this a known bug in PoR?  If so, is there a fix/workaround?

Yes, this is a bug.  However, as discussed on rec.games.misc some time
ago, the bug with the thief character is that it received only 1/2 the
experience it should get.  The discussion said that this was only a
problem with the creation of the thief, not the playing of the thief.
It also said that it was only a problem with the IIci and that a thief
created on any other Mac should run fine.  Unfortunately, I found that
it still screwed up the creation of a thief on my SE . . .

Why your friends IIci crashed is beyond me, but there *is* a bug.

On this same thread, does anybody know how to use ResEdit to fix the
problem?  I took the suggestion offered in rec.games.misc and used
it to change the experience (which I kept track of manually), but
I'm sure someone out ther knows which bits I have to change in the
character to let the computer know a "thief" is not a multiclass
character (which is what I think the problem is).

Good luck!  (You'll need it :-)!!!!

*****************   Signature Block : Vaporware Version   *******************
*                                     |                                     *
*                                     |                                     *
*                                     |                                     *
*                                     |                                     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1990 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

cah@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Allen Halsell) (11/03/90)

	I thought PoR was a great game, although I played it on a stock
Mac SE.  Some of the larger battles were INCREDIBLY slow -- this is I
think my only complaint.  I used the stock characters and I believe
there was a thief combination among them -- no problems.  I wish SSI
would send out the next one, but I don't have time to obsess on the
game right now (NetHack has me beguiled).  All in all, a great game.

	Oh, and I bought the hint book and used it fairly often.
After all, they're for enjoyment, right?

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (03/06/91)

I'm in the Textile house.  I freed the guy's servant but my party was
full and he couldn't join.  I'm assuming that I need to bring this guy
back.  The stupid thing is that I didn't save the game before I got this
guy.  The only earlier saved game I have is the one after I finished
Sokol Keep.  Is it possibble to find this guy again?  He's not where
he was the first time.

--
 "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (03/07/91)

In article <17803@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.UUCP (Il Oh) writes:
>I'm in the Textile house.  I freed the guy's servant but my party was
>full and he couldn't join.  I'm assuming that I need to bring this guy
>back.  The stupid thing is that I didn't save the game before I got this
>guy.  The only earlier saved game I have is the one after I finished
>Sokol Keep.  Is it possibble to find this guy again?  He's not where
>he was the first time.

I doubt that you need to get him to join the party.  There are
several people in Pool of Radiance that join your party for a
short time, then leave.  I found out in the end it's better not
to have NPC's in your party because they end up doing STUPID
things in battle (like getting killed or hurting your own
characters).

In the sequel, Curse of the Azure Bonds, there is only one time
that it is beneficial to welcome people into your party, and that
lasts only a couple of hours and they are still not NEEDED to win
the game.

I wouldn't worry about.  There are many "forks in the road" in this
game that keep you from seeing it all anyway.  Several times I
thought I had made a wrong decision, so I went back to a previous
save and tried all the different options and found out that the
result was the same, just a few things were different in getting
to that result.  If you do something really stupid, the worst thing
that can happen is that you lose time or you lose the chance in
finding another message--none of which is absolutely crucial.

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

carlton@apollo.HP.COM (Carlton B. Hommel) (03/13/91)

The following information is based on the official clue book.
>I freed the guy's servant but my party was full and he couldn't join.
>I'm assuming that I need to bring this guy back.
No, you don't.  He is an extra fighter, and will point out the secret
door the ogre leader is hiding behind.  It is in the lower right hand
side of the house.

After you get the treasure, take it back to the well.  Let the
Thieve's guild open it for you.  Split the treasure, get the expireience,
and rip off Caldorna.  After all, he *is* a bad guy....

Carl Hommel
carlton@apollo.hp.com