[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian 1.04 on and LC

Ian_Upright@mindlink.UUCP (Ian Upright) (03/09/91)

Is there a patch out there for Solarian 1.04 to run on an LC with a 12'
monitor. When I try to run it, is says it needs a 640 X 480 screen, but all the
12' is 512 X 384. Is there an INIT out there that allows you to change the
number of pixels on a monitor, or at least trick Solarian to thinking that
there are 640 X 480 number of pixels.
Thanks.
Ian Upright.

beecher@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ben Beecher) (03/13/91)

In article <5065@mindlink.UUCP> Ian_Upright@mindlink.UUCP (Ian Upright) writes:
>Is there a patch out there for Solarian 1.04 to run on an LC with a 12'
>monitor?

Gosh, I sure wish I had a twelve foot monitor for my Mac!  But how could
I get it through the front door?!?  ;-)

Ben Beecher		beecher@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Network Planning	212-854-7439
Columbia University

hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu (Stephen Haase) (03/15/91)

I have no idea if this would work, but it seems that it would. There is a
program out there called Stepping Out II or something similiar that allows
you to have a virtual screen of any size(within RAM limits I think). If
you set it to 640x480, you might be able to play, although you still wouldn't
see the whole screen at once...if someone tries this and it works, let me
know. I have a friend who was considering purchasing a LC but was worried
about conflicts as this one.
Steve

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar15.022010.23291@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>
   hasses@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Stephen Haase) writes:
>I have no idea if this would work, but it seems that it would. There is a
>program out there called Stepping Out II or something similiar that allows
>you to have a virtual screen of any size(within RAM limits I think). If
>you set it to 640x480, you might be able to play, although you still wouldn't
>see the whole screen at once...

No, this won't work.  Stepping Out requires certain cues that a program is
doing graphics - either the program has to call QuickDraw, or it has to
call a routine called ShieldCursor.  Solarian II does neither, for very
good reasons.  Therefore Stepping Out II will not work correctly with it.
It would probably show some graphics some of the time, but certainly not
all of them all the time, and certainly not enough to make the game
playable.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)