[comp.sys.mac.games] Color driving games?

es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Mitchell Snider) (03/15/91)

I was wondering if there are any great color driving games out...  Is
Vette! available and how is it?

Eric Snider
es1o@andrew.cmu.edu

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (03/15/91)

Yes, Vette! is out, I just received it today from Mac's Place (800-367-4222).
It's in 16 color or b/w (all the disks come with it - nothing to send away
for).  And so far, it's a real blast.  The 3D solid-polygon graphics move
along quite nicely and the action is a lot of fun.  You should definitely
get a copy; we're both here in Pittsburgh, so we could race via modem!

The second part of this post is about the cops in Vette.  Namely, how do
you avoid 'em?!?!  On the first course, I've discovered that:

1.  If a cop start his siren and is coming towards me, I can usually swing
onto a cross street (sometimes offing some pedestrians on the sidewalk...)
and then take a street parallel to my original street for a few blocks,
losing the cop.

2.  47th Street, which runs parallel to the Great Highway has much fewer
cops about.  Sure, there are stop signs and traffic lights, but those are
easy enough to ignore...  :-)

My real problem occurs when a cop way ahead of me, travelling in the same
direction as me on a major highway or bridge (i.e. no detour routes
available) starts his siren.  Am I resigned to simply travelling a little
slower than him for as long as he stays on the road?  Isn't there ANYTHING
I can do??  In the manual it says that by not pulling over you get a count
of 'evading arrest' added to your ticket.  It doesn't seem that you can
even try to evade arrest other than by swinging onto another street.  Hints,
anyone?

Tob
bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (03/16/91)

In article <103404@unix.cis.pitt.edu> bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) writes:
>Yes, Vette! is out, I just received it today from Mac's Place (800-367-4222).
>It's in 16 color or b/w (all the disks come with it - nothing to send away
>for).  And so far, it's a real blast.

Does it work on a IIci?

rob
--
Robert S. Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (03/16/91)

 First, Vette works fine on a IIci.

Second.  How to avoid cops.  If there is a cop ahead of you that wants to catch
you (siren is on), you can avoid getting caught by going to the left lane...
almost touching the left curb and then passing him.  If you get too close to
the right (where the cop is) lane, he'll catch you.  This also works if the
cop is in the left lane comming toward you.  Go as far as you can in the right
ane and let him pass you.

ins_apw@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Philip Wong