[comp.sys.mac.games] Oids Demo: Anyone get it to work?

jma@bigbang.Berkeley.EDU (James M. Alexander) (03/06/91)

Well, I got all ten parts of the OIDS demo from comp.binaries.mac, and have
been unsuccessful in decompressing it. I have now tried to download it 3
times, and each time I got a "unable to verify resource/data forks" from
Stuffit Classic when I tries to unBINHEX it, and Stuffit crashes when I try
to unstuff this apparently corrupted archive. My question is, has anyone
downloaded this thing and gotten it to work, or is one of the parts
corrupted? Thanks in advance.

Jim
jma@earthquake.berkeley.edu

tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.230011.17533@agate.berkeley.edu> jma@bigbang.Berkeley.EDU (James M. Alexander) writes:
>Well, I got all ten parts of the OIDS demo from comp.binaries.mac, and have
>been unsuccessful in decompressing it. I have now tried to download it 3
>times, and each time I got a "unable to verify resource/data forks" from
>Stuffit Classic when I tries to unBINHEX it, and Stuffit crashes when I try
>to unstuff this apparently corrupted archive. My question is, has anyone
>downloaded this thing and gotten it to work, or is one of the parts
>corrupted? Thanks in advance.
>
>Jim
>jma@earthquake.berkeley.edu

I also got all 10 binaries, but I had no problem unbinhex'ing them.
I assembled the 10 parts and edited out the comments in emacs on
a unix machine then downloaded them later at night when I got home
using my Hayes UltraSmartmodem.

I used Stuffit Deluxe to do unbinhex them, and then to unstuff them.

Hope you have better luck.

Todd
Todd A. Green   "<_CyberWolf_>"  ---> Pascal <- tagreen@ucs.indiana.edu
Unix Systems Administration      ---> Unix <--- tagreen@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Macintosh Systems Administration ---> VMS <---- tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
WCC Office:136.04 phone:855-0949 ---> C <------ tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana
"Friends don't let friends       ---> Mac <---- tagreen@iubacs.BITNET
 Use DOS" - Scott Ostrander      ---> SunOS <-- tagreen@lykos (FTP only)

jdw4374@cec1.wustl.edu (The Mad Hatter) (03/06/91)

I also haven't had any problem with the OIDS demo.  I stripped off all of the
headers and trailers, and catted them together on a unix system, FTP'd them,
and bixhexed them, and didn't have a prob.  If any one wants the demo, I can
send it to them.

~
|     Jeff Wolman           |     I am NOT Mad as a Hatter!           |
|  (314)862-2900/889-5397   |     My swinging from the rafters is not |
|   jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu  |     actually happening; it just looks   |
|   AOL: JeffW15            |     like it.  You're crazy, not me!     |

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) (03/06/91)

>In article <1991Mar5.230011.17533@agate.berkeley.edu> jma@bigbang.Berkeley.EDU
(James M. Alexander) writes:
>>Well, I got all ten parts of the OIDS demo from comp.binaries.mac, and have
>>been unsuccessful in decompressing it. I have now tried to download it 3
>>times, and each time I got a "unable to verify resource/data forks" from
>>Stuffit Classic when I tries to unBINHEX it, and Stuffit crashes when I try
>>to unstuff this apparently corrupted archive. My question is, has anyone
>>downloaded this thing and gotten it to work, or is one of the parts
>>corrupted? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Jim
>>jma@earthquake.berkeley.edu

You know, I had the same problem.  I'm going to try to unencode it with another
version of stuffit, maybe actually use binhex.  If anyone else discovers
this stuffit classic bug and figures out what the problem is, post it please.

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

jma@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (James M. Alexander) (03/06/91)

I now have the thing working. Thanks for all the advice. The problem, it
seems, was in the headers. In the past, Stuffit has been able to de-Binhex
the files with the headers still there, so I assume that there was something
odd about the headers in these posts. There are two suggested solutions that
seem to work equally well: (1) Strip off the headers with an editor either
before or after downloading the file or (2) Use a program (if your system has
it) called "mcvert <filename>" This will convert the Binhex 4.0 file to
Macbinary II format without the problem Stuffit's algorithm seemd to have.
Also, if you happen to be using ZTerm, downloading it with the Zmodem
protocol will automatically convert this type of file to a Stuffit archive.

Jim
jma@earthquake.berkeley.edu

tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) (03/08/91)

I had the same problem.  After Stuffit Deluxe failed, I decided to give
Compact Pro a try (I had never used it before).  Compact Pro refused to
decode the BinHex file.  I expect that some host along the path truncated
or altered one of the parts.

sisley@milton.u.washington.edu (David Barr) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar8.014221.14351@momenta.com> tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) writes:
>I had the same problem.  After Stuffit Deluxe failed, I decided to give
>Compact Pro a try (I had never used it before).  Compact Pro refused to
>decode the BinHex file.  I expect that some host along the path truncated
>or altered one of the parts.

I just downloaded a pretty cool program from sumex.stanford.edu.  Its
a DA called BinHqx.  It will join the BinHex files, and you don't have
to worry about editing the headers off the files.  I haven't tested it
extensively but it appears to work quite well.

David

gmg@court.sybase.com (Gary Gibson) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar8.014221.14351@momenta.com> tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) writes:
>I had the same problem.  After Stuffit Deluxe failed, I decided to give
>Compact Pro a try (I had never used it before).  Compact Pro refused to
>decode the BinHex file.  I expect that some host along the path truncated
>or altered one of the parts.

I just downloaded the OIDS demo yesterday and decoded it with the BinHex
option of Stuffit Deluxe.  I had no problems with it.  Did you make sure
that you removed all of the headers and footers in each message?  Did you
also make sure you didn't delete any of the BinHex info while deleting
the headers and footers?

I saved the messages to a non-mailbox file in order, and then edited the
resulting file with vi.  Using the search string "---", I carefully removed
the header and footer information.  You should do this manually though,
because some of the binhex information contains "---" too.  After, editing
the file.  I transferred it to my mac plus using microphone II's kermit
option.  It took about 40 minutes at 2400 baud, but once it downloaded,
I was able to decode it with the BinHex option of stuffit deluxe with
ease.

6600stro@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar8.014221.14351@momenta.com> tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) writes:

>I had the same problem.  After Stuffit Deluxe failed, I decided to give
>Compact Pro a try (I had never used it before).  Compact Pro refused to
>decode the BinHex file.  I expect that some host along the path truncated
>or altered one of the parts.

Are you getting the demo from UNIX?  I seem to have
the same problem getting files from here using a
system I use with local BBSes here, which works, but
I still can not get any of the files without some
form of corruption.