[comp.sys.mac.games] Curse of Azure Bonds Mac Interface

bgahl@scuba.EBay.Sun.COM (Robert Gahl Sun Federal SE) (03/15/91)

Whoever stated extreme disappointment with CoAB's UI on the Mac
was right. It stinks! However, I suspect the reason for this is
that with PoR, the manual very rarely matched the way the game
worked. It appears that SSI has opted to not change the game
(porting from Big Blue) so as to not have to change the manual
to match the port. PoR didn't follow the Mac interface really
well, but CoAB is worse. However, it won't stop me from playing
it.

Any of you geniuses out there who have this game (and have solved
it), I'd like to hear from you (so I know who to go get hints from
when I need them). I'm just starting the bugger, so I'm not asking
for hints--just who to ask when I get stuck. Thanks.
--

Bob Gahl                      | ARPA/INTERNET:   bgahl@EBay.Sun.COM
SE - Sun Microsystems Federal | UUCP: ...[about anywhere]!sun!bgahl

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (03/16/91)

Yeah, it suck all right.  But SSI didn't do it; it's the idiots at
MicroMagic, purveyors of crummy ports.  And very few good ports are the
same as the original machine, interface wise, but they include a sheet
of paper detailing the differences.  So that's no excuse. I think the
reason is that mac games don't sell, so why put any effort into them.
Of course, if you come out with a shitty port like COAB, with it's
wonderful IBM music that you can't stop during the intro (I switch it
into the background; when you come back to the foreground the music
plays really fast!), people won't buy it.  It's a vicious circle...

If anybody from MicroMagic reads this, please email me to find out
why your ports are so bad...

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

bgahl@scuba.EBay.Sun.COM (Robert Gahl Sun Federal SE) (03/19/91)

In article <249@victoria.cs.utexas.edu>, ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
|> Yeah, it suck all right.  But SSI didn't do it; it's the idiots at
|> MicroMagic, purveyors of crummy ports.  And very few good ports are the
|> same as the original machine, interface wise, but they include a sheet
|> of paper detailing the differences.  So that's no excuse. I think the
|> reason is that mac games don't sell, so why put any effort into them.
|> Of course, if you come out with a shitty port like COAB, with it's
|> wonderful IBM music that you can't stop during the intro (I switch it
|> into the background; when you come back to the foreground the music
|> plays really fast!), people won't buy it.  It's a vicious circle...

I did "discover" that the Command-S followed by a mouse-click will
kill that intro-stuff, and then you can mouse-click your way through
the intro up to the play/demo/quit screen. Of course, all sound is
killed, but I've decided I prefer to kill all of the sound rather than
be subjected to all of it.

Not to mention the fact that I found a bug in taking treasure (good
treasure, as opposed to the generic stuff you find). I usually try to
have people who the individual treasure will benefit pick it up (i.e.
the cleric picks up the flail, the thief picks up the dagger, the mu
picks up the scroll, etc.). In this scenario, I've LOST treasure
because I took too long to pick it up. Boy, was I upset!

--

rgupta@leland.Stanford.EDU (Rajesh Gupta) (03/19/91)

In article <5673@male.EBay.Sun.COM> bgahl@scuba.EBay.Sun.COM (Robert Gahl  Sun Federal  SE) writes:
>In article <249@victoria.cs.utexas.edu>, ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
>|> Yeah, it suck all right.  But SSI didn't do it; it's the idiots at
>|> MicroMagic, purveyors of crummy ports.  And very few good ports are the
>|> same as the original machine, interface wise, but they include a sheet
>|> of paper detailing the differences.  So that's no excuse. I think the
>|> reason is that mac games don't sell, so why put any effort into them.
>|> Of course, if you come out with a shitty port like COAB, with it's
>|> wonderful IBM music that you can't stop during the intro (I switch it
>|> into the background; when you come back to the foreground the music
>|> plays really fast!), people won't buy it.  It's a vicious circle...

I talked to SSI about the poor interface. They recommend their latest
version 1.1 of the game for the MAC.  They offered to replace the old
game by the new version.

Rajesh Gupta

rgupta@sirius.stanford.edu