[comp.sys.mac.games] what's a good football/baseball game?

kwinkler@pbs.org (Ken Winkler) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.194036.28822@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, dehewitt@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Don E. Hewitt) writes:
> I'm looking for a decent football and/or baseball game
> (color preferred).
>
> I've seen NFL Challenge in the macWarehouse catalog and
> also Earl Weaver Baseball.  Are either of these any good?
> To me, good means that I won't easily become bored and the
> computer plays a very tough game against you..
>
> Any suggestions?

We went over this once before, so if I am boring people with this I apologize.
Go get Playmaker Football, put out by the people at Broderbund.  The game
has three phases:

1-- Draft.  You `draft' a team of players.  Given a set number of quality
points to distribute among thirty players in five skill categories (agility,
intelligence, speed, strength, and discipline.  This allows you to build
a team with strong runners, or a superhuman QB, or a great OL, or a tough
defense, but NOT all of the above.  You have to decide what area you want
to build your team around.

2-- Chalkboard.  Design your own plays.  You give assignments to all eleven
players for offensive and defensive plays.  Block, pause, rush pass,
read then drop into zone coverage, fake, etc.  You then test your plays
on the practice field, until you get the timings all down.

3-- Game.  Coach your team against the computer, or against someone else's
team.  The computer plays well, but of course he doesn't have the luxury
of finding one play that works well against a certain defense, and then
constantly exploiting that.  i.e., I can predict what D the computer will
call on a given down, and if I find one play that works against it, I
can call it all day.  Not having that luxury, the computer `cheats' a bit,
with his players seeming to get better, and getting more penalties,
turnovers, and general intangibles falling his way.  That is the biggest
problem with the game.

My impression?  It takes a while to build a team and playbook.  And
you never stop modifying it.  You can build as many teams as you want,
and you can define `artificial intelligence' for each play that lets
the computer play your team against you.  (as in you tell the computer
to call this play only on third and long, or if there are less than
two minutes in the game and you are more than a touchdown behind, etc.)
I have had the game for a while, and I love it.  I haven't gotten tired
of it yet.  And now that a friend of mine has it, and we play each other,
it is all the more interesting.

This is far and away the best football game on the market.  It allows you
alot of control, and presents quite a challenge.

By the way, if you do get the game, there is a guy who is trying to
organize a way for us PMFB addicts to exchange teams.  His e-mail address
is:  ong_ac@jhuvms.  Get in touch with him.  He can e-mail you some
of the other people's teams.

							----Ken

* "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!" ---FR      *    Television    *
* "Get away from me with that spatula, Fred!" ---Mrs. FR *  worth watching  *

dehewitt@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Don E. Hewitt) (03/20/91)

I'm looking for a decent football and/or baseball game
(color preferred).

I've seen NFL Challenge in the macWarehouse catalog and
also Earl Weaver Baseball.  Are either of these any good?
To me, good means that I won't easily become bored and the
computer plays a very tough game against you..

Any suggestions?

Don Hewitt
NPAC - Syracuse Univ.