[comp.sys.mac.games] Suggestions about Harpoon

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (03/19/91)

I have been playing Harpoon for awhile now and have recently heard of a new
battleset was out.  I am debating on whether or not to get it. How similar is
this new battleset to the GUIK one?  Is it so similar that it's redundant or
is it worth getting?  I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.  Thanks in
advance.

Jaxon.

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (03/19/91)

In article <12812@ur-cc.UUCP> jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) writes:
>I have been playing Harpoon for awhile now and have recently heard of a new
>battleset was out.  I am debating on whether or not to get it. How similar is
>this new battleset to the GUIK one?  Is it so similar that it's redundant or
>is it worth getting?  I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.  Thanks in
>advance.

>Jaxon.

Actually, there are two new battlesets out now.  According to a friend at
360, the Med battleset was finished on Friday and should be shipping today.

But you mean NACV, North Atlantic Convoys.  SOme of the scenarios are
similar, but there are more of them and new ships and weapons (Sea Lance
and Mk50 torpedos come to mine, as well as the $2 billion Sea Wolf).

I'd get it, if I were you.  My only complaint about it (not including bugs,
of course) is that a number of the scenarios are long; they involve getting
ships from Boston to Southampton.

If anybody finds a bug in Harpoon, please mail it to me.  Please include
a description, the scenario, and what you were doing.  My address follows...

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) (03/19/91)

I just recently purchased NACV and I enjoy it also.  However, the battleset is
really big and it runs very sluggish with my SE.  I see that someone already
seen the MED battleset.  Please post a review about strategies and opinions
when you get a chance.

mvk@slipknot.mit.edu (Mark Kuric) (03/20/91)

> Actually, there are two new battlesets out now.  According to a friend at
> 360, the Med battleset was finished on Friday and should be shipping today.
>
> But you mean NACV, North Atlantic Convoys.  SOme of the scenarios are
> similar, but there are more of them and new ships and weapons (Sea Lance
> and Mk50 torpedos come to mine, as well as the $2 billion Sea Wolf).
>
> I'd get it, if I were you.  My only complaint about it (not including bugs,
> of course) is that a number of the scenarios are long; they involve getting
> ships from Boston to Southampton.
>
> If anybody finds a bug in Harpoon, please mail it to me.  Please include
> a description, the scenario, and what you were doing.  My address follows...

Are these scenarios any better than the GIUK set. I was really disappointed
with this first set because almost all of the scenarios are just a walk over
against the computer. The tactics used incredibly simplistic and the weapons
were not used to anything near their full capabilities.
				Mark Kuric

ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) (03/20/91)

If you think this scenario is anything like GIUK, you'll be in for a big
surprise.  In the first scenario, it is relatively easy to beat the computer
if you play the NATO side.  However, this scenario has been given me a lot of
problem beating the computer, especially when you play the NATO side.  The sub
threat itself is more than I can handle most of the time, not mentioning about
the air and surface threats.  The long range backfires and its fighter variants
are a awsome force in its own right.  However, you usually get a carrier if you
are the commander of NATO.  ALl in all, I think this scenario is a better
representation of what a real war would be like.  It follows a logical order
unlike GIUK.  And you better be prepared to spend a lot more time than before
to finish each scenario.  Uhu, almost forgot, there are 16, count them, 16
scenarios in the battleset.  Can't wait to play the MED battleset, are you
listening?  How about adding the all new Soviet CVN Kremlin?

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow - System Admin) (03/20/91)

|I have been playing Harpoon for awhile now and have recently heard of a new
|battleset was out.  I am debating on whether or not to get it. How similar is
|this new battleset to the GUIK one?  Is it so similar that it's redundant or
|is it worth getting?  I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.  Thanks in
|advance.

I have the new Battle Set, and I love it.....no similarities at all.

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group