[comp.sys.mac.games] SimEarth goodies

v056q3g5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeff M Hersh) (03/07/91)

 Has anyone out there found some of the hidden feature that are supposed to
be in SimEarth.  I have found how to generate robots, how to make a
site-data file (whatever that is), and I tried the shift-FUND trick (cute)...

Jeff..

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (03/07/91)

In article <63586@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v056q3g5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

> Has anyone out there found some of the hidden feature that are supposed to
>be in SimEarth.  I have found how to generate robots, how to make a
>site-data file (whatever that is), and I tried the shift-FUND trick (cute)...

I printed a list of 'features' that are in SimEarth a couple of months back.
Since then, I can't remember many except JOKE and RAND (caution with this one!)
I think there is one that goes something like SHOO, but I can remember off
hand.

This information can be found in the Maxis area on America Online.

--
Lance M Orner           | To get a hold of me --
  Computer Engineering  |   --from Internet:        lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu

bubonic@hardy.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (03/12/91)

>I printed a list of 'features' that are in SimEarth a couple of months back.
>Since then, I can't remember many except JOKE and RAND (caution with this one!)
>I think there is one that goes something like SHOO, but I can remember off
>hand.
>This information can be found in the Maxis area on America Online.

How does one access America Online?  Is it similar to Compuserve/GEnie, etc?
Is there a local (Seattle) dial up number?

Thanks for the info,

Jack Brown
aka plague@milton.u.washington.edu

Jack Brown
aka bubonic@hardy.u.washington.edu
Send all replies here!

rgm@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Menke) (03/12/91)

Was the goodies list copyrighted, or can someone hop over to America
Online, snag a copy, and bring it over to our corner of the universe
for those of us without AO subscriptions?
--
>GIVE COIN TO CHARON			|  Robert Menke
"So educated," giggles the voice in	|    rgm@OCF.berkeley.edu
your ear...				|    ...!ucbvax!OCF!rgm

jeremy@horus.cem.msu.EDU (Stallion) (03/13/91)

From article <RGM.91Mar11150316@bigbang.Berkeley.EDU>, by rgm@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Menke):
> Was the goodies list copyrighted, or can someone hop over to America
> Online, snag a copy, and bring it over to our corner of the universe
> for those of us without AO subscriptions?
> --
>>GIVE COIN TO CHARON			|  Robert Menke
> "So educated," giggles the voice in	|    rgm@OCF.berkeley.edu
> your ear...				|    ...!ucbvax!OCF!rgm

	If anyone can get a copy of this list of goodies could they
	please e-mail me a copy. please please please please.
	[no I'm not below begging]
	or maybe put a copy at sumex[36.44.0.6]

		Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!
					-Stallion

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (03/13/91)

In article <18202@milton.u.washington.edu> bubonic@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Jack Brown) writes:
  BTW:  This was my origianal article.
>>I printed a list of 'features' that are in SimEarth a couple of months back.
>>Since then, I can't remember many except JOKE and RAND (caution with this one!)
>>I think there is one that goes something like SHOO, but I can remember off
>>hand.
>>This information can be found in the Maxis area on America Online.
>
>How does one access America Online?  Is it similar to Compuserve/GEnie, etc?
>Is there a local (Seattle) dial up number?

To answer a couple of messages at once:

This information I was talking about is in the Maxis are on America Online in
the 'Bulletin Board'  (Forum, ect.) (Keyword: Maxis).  This info is spread out
over a series of messages.  Putting it together and sending it to Sumex might
not be a bad idea.

As to getting onto America Online:  America Online really started full-swing
about year, and has been growing _very_ fast.  It uses it's own front-end
interface (which is well done, by the way), which provides the uniqueness to
this service.  A regular communications program will not work, I've already
tried.  AO makes connections through Telenet or Tymnet, and there is a local
node just about everywhere.  The software, when first run, sets up itself to
find the nearist node.

So, to get on, you need to get the software, which is provided FREE by
America Online if you call them at 1-800-227-6264 between noon and 3am EST.
They have a friend referral program, and if you say you were referred by
LM ORNER, I'd get a free hour for getting you on, and I'd be very greatfull.

In the meantime, have fun.

--
Lance Orner  (lorner @ ecst.csuchico.edu) -------------------------------------
  California State Univ., Chico           |

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.050914.15273@ecst.csuchico.edu> lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) writes:

>So, to get on, you need to get the software, which is provided FREE by
>America Online if you call them at 1-800-227-6264 between noon and 3am EST.
>They have a friend referral program, and if you say you were referred by
>LM ORNER, I'd get a free hour for getting you on, and I'd be very greatfull.

Er, sorry about that.  It's hard to tell how many of the countless _millions_
of people that tried to call this number got a funky little message saying
that you dialed the wrong place.  That's my fault.

   America Online:  1-800-227-6364    noon to 3am EST

Sorry about that folks.

--
Lance Orner  (lorner @ ecst.csuchico.edu) -------------------------------------
  California State Univ., Chico           |
                                   Don't worry -- God thinks that it's a joke.

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (03/14/91)

In responce to a couple of questions about the different
"easter eggs" in SimEarth, I went to the Maxis area on
America Online and copied some of the messages on this
subject.  This isn't to terribly long, so I thought I'd post it
here instead of going through Sumex.  To the rest of you, I'm
probably boring you, but then, that's what the 'n' key is for. :-)

Anyways, here it goes:

----------------------

Subj:  More fun codes                        90-11-10 15:06:41 EST
From:  SimEarth

Try "joke" "smoo" (don't ask me what smoo means) and "rand"
I found these in the data resource using resedit.

----------------------

Subj:  1 more                                90-11-10 19:37:14 EST
From:  Aaron14

OOPS, forgot "erad"

SURGEON DEITY'S WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT ON AN UNSAVED VALUABLE PANET.
USING THIS COMMAND CAN BE HAZZARDOUS TO ALL LIFE ON A PLANET. USE AT YOUR
OWN RIDK!

----------------------

Subj:  SimEarth hidden functions             90-11-12 13:35:49 EST
From:  Maxis

Well, since you CHEATED by using ResEdit to find the hidden functions, I
shouldn't tell you what they all mean, but I will reveal some:  SMOO is
short for SMOOTH.  When you type "SMOO" is activates the smoothing function.
Turn off the life and biome displays in the edit window and try it.  Your
terrain will smooth out.  This is actually very useful sometimes.  (Like
cleaning up after a volcano or meteor shower).

By the way, you haven't found them all!

Jake Hoelter
Maxis

----------------------

Subj:  A site-data file                      90-11-13 23:58:09 EST
From:  Aaron14

In the previously mentioned DATA resource around $1C47 there is something
called a SimEarth-SiteData (note the capitals--SESD) along with a
note:"Congratulations, you have just saved a SimEarth-SiteData file, for
use in future products." Uhhhhh... Jake... What's a SiteData file?
P.S. I tried changing a city to a SESD file, the icon changed, but nothing
else did... I just got an idea... Maybe a graphics data file? Future
Products? (Still looking around w/ResEdit) P.P.S. I use the B&W  version...

----------------------

Subj:  SimEarth Site Data                    90-11-19 01:03:25 EST
From:  Miphnik

If you select the "examine" icon, hold down the Option key, and click on
a block in the edit window, SimEarth will create a SimEarth Site Data file
in the root directory of the currently active drive.

Now, if someone will tell us just what these things are good for...

----------------------

Subj:  CIS                                   90-11-21 13:34:57 EST
From:  Maxis

Why use CIS when you can reach Maxis here?  I do all our online support,
and I'd rather answer mail here on America Online than on CIS any day.

By the way, the official Maxis area is GO GAMPUB - though you can find
discussion of Maxis products in other areas (such as MacFun).

As to the SimEarth SiteData file - it doesn't do anything and it's not
used anywhere or with any of our products (yet).  Currently, it's totally
useless.  Beleive what it says!  "For use in FUTURE products".  Things
like possible sequels to SimCity.  Things like SimCity II.  With 3-D terrain,
differnt types of industrial and commercial zones, and ...  oops! What am I
saying!  I didn't say any of that.  Don't tell my boss.  Besides, (in all
seriousness) it is probably a year away anyway (so don't ask me about it!).

Jake Hoelter
Maxis

----------------------

Subj:  Jake...                               90-11-30 21:03:24 EST
From:  Aaron14

Uhhh, Will Wight said he would upload the SiteData specs on CI$, do you
think you could upload them here?

----------------------

Subj:  This and That                         90-12-05 15:01:10 EST
From:  Maxis

No problem uploading the SiteData specs.  As soon as I can get the file
from Will, I'll do that.  If you don't see it here within a month, remind me.

Jake Hoelter
Maxis

--

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (03/14/91)

In <18202@milton.u.washington.edu> bubonic@hardy.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) writes:

>How does one access America Online?  Is it similar to Compuserve/GEnie, etc?
>Is there a local (Seattle) dial up number?

It's a Mac and Apple specific online system, like AppleLink. You need a
special program to log in. To get it, call (800)227-6364 from noon to 3 a.m.
EST.

--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.bitnet

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (03/14/91)

Almost forgot - If you do sign up, tell them I recommended you - I get some
free on-line time that way. :-) My AOL username is "AlexCh".

 - Alex
--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.bitnet
Reed College, Portland OR 97202
____________________

urwest@mcs.drexel.edu (Richard W. West) (03/16/91)

	Ok, sorry about dragging up this topic again, but hey, I am still
curious on finding out more on the SimEarth options, and, like most people, I
don't want to have to log on to a pay service when we have to good old Internet.

	Anyhow, so far all I have gotten for additional options is:
JOKE
RAND
SMOO
ERAD

	Are there any others?  What about the robots?  There should be more
considering the amount of hub-ub over these SimEarth goodies..

-Rich West

urwest@mcs.drexle.edu
   rww@siemens.siemens.com
Rich_West@siemens.siemens.com

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar16.040825.27676@mcs.drexel.edu> urwest@mcs.drexel.edu (Richard W. West) writes:
>	Are there any others?  What about the robots?

As for robots, try nuking a Nanotech City.  Once you have one robot, sit back
and watch it take over that area...

   ...and all of the other areas, and the oceans, and the mountains, and the
      polar regions, and watch it kill of every other animal on the planet.
      Watch it populate itself until everything else is dead, and then until
      they fill up every square of the screen.  Watch them as you try to kill
      them with everything you've got, and how they survive through all of the
      rubble, dust, and every imaginable poison in the air.  Neat!

Actually, they're quite boring once they get going because nothing else happens
beside robots, robots, and more robots.

But then, you asked...  :-)

--

Bob.Nordling@f13.n396.z1.edgar.mn.org (Bob Nordling) (03/17/91)

>How does one access America Online?  Is it similar to
>Is there a local (Seattle) dial up number?

It's a Mac and Apple specific online system, like AppleLink. You
special program to log in. To get it, call (800)227-6364 from noon
EST.

***
Alex, actually America Online now provides support for DOS users as
---

urwest@mcs.drexel.edu (Richard W. West) (03/20/91)

I wrote earlier:
>	Ok, sorry about dragging up this topic again, but hey, I am still
>curious on finding out more on the SimEarth options, and, like most people, I
>don't want to have to log on to a pay service when we have to good old Internet.
>
>	Anyhow, so far all I have gotten for additional options is:
>JOKE
>RAND
>SMOO
>ERAD
>
>	Are there any others?  What about the robots?  There should be more
>considering the amount of hub-ub over these SimEarth goodies..

	Well, the answer I got was a copy of the message that I got those four
commands from in the first place.  I thought there was a list out there
somewhere that contained more than the ones I have listed above.  Can anyone
help?

Please.. no copies of that set of messages from America Online.  It contains
next to nothing, except for those four commands.

Also, does anyone know how to find them?  I mean, how can I find them in the
program (I am a VERY good Mac user, so, please, don't worry about going over
my head!)  Reply by email, if you think that would be better.

-Rich West

urwest@mcs.drexel.edu
   rww@demon.siemens.com

ldoering@caen.engin.umich.edu (Laurence Doering) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar20.003050.17175@mcs.drexel.edu> urwest@mcs.drexel.edu (Richard W. West) writes:
>>	Anyhow, so far all I have gotten for additional options is:
>>JOKE
>>RAND
>>SMOO
>>ERAD
>>
>>	Are there any others?  What about the robots?  There should be more
>>considering the amount of hub-ub over these SimEarth goodies..
>>

>	Well, the answer I got was a copy of the message that I got those four
>commands from in the first place.  I thought there was a list out there
>somewhere that contained more than the ones I have listed above.  Can anyone
>help?

Well, I tried the four-letter words the other night.  Just type the word
and hit return.  The game does its thing and then plays the little tune
you hear when life evolves, or civilization develops, or whatever.
They do the following:

JOKE - Briefly displays a joke in a dialog box in the middle of the screen.
RAND - Regenerates the terrain on your planet with random elevations at
       every location.  All elevations seem to be above sea level, so any
       oceans you may have disappear.
SMOO - Smooths the contours of the terrain in the close-up box.
ERAD (and ONAN) - Make time accelerate.  Couldn't tell if evolution speeds
       up too, or just the time scale.

As for robots, all you have to do is wait for a nanotech city to appear,
and then nuke it (or wait for a nuclear war, or whatever.)  A single robot
will appear on the site of the nuked city.  There are 16 species of robot,
and the lowest species appears first.  (No, they aren't in the manual.)
Robots reproduce and mutate like crazy, and will displace *all* other life
on your planet.  When they develop civilization, they start in the
Industrial Age, and will attain exodus quickly.  The remaining less-
developed robots then evolve to civilization, and attain exodus, leaving
less-developed robots who quickly evolve to civilization, and attain
exodus...

Don't know if there are any other "Easter Eggs" out there.