[comp.sys.mac.games] Harpoon Questions

rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi) (03/22/91)

These questions are all for the GUIK scenario.
1.  I can't get Nato or USSR subs to do anything useful, they always get
    detected.  I thought subs were supposed to be a terrible naval
    threat, but I all too easily pick off the opponent's, and he all
    too easily picks off mine.  How can I make my subs escape detection?
    Is there any way to evade torpedoes, exscept for constantly
    changing depth, speed, and direction while enemy torpedoes are in
    the water?  (This involves the frustrating use of Change Course
    again and again.)
2.  Is the computer doing something wrong  in GUIK?  No matter what side
    is taken, we humans always beat the computer, and the  computer does
    incredibly foolish things, like let Bears with 250mi standoff
    missiles get within range of his base, even when he has no distractions
    elsewhere.  Am running this on SE/30.
3.  Annoyingly, Harpoon occasionally freezes after about an hour of play,
    regardless of whether other inits are loaded or no.  I'm using version
    1.0 on System 6.0.7.  Anyone know anything about this?
4.  Why do air-craft EVER crash because they run out of fuel?  For example,
    if I have a plane on patrol, take it off patrol to intercept/attack
    something, and then want to let it loiter further on patrol, I CAN'T,
    because the computer won't warn me when it reaches bingo fuel.  Does
    anyone know a work-around, or know what I'm doing wrong?
5.  Why aren't aircraft that have been put on patrol in the formation
    editor not displayed on the map?  Is this a bug/oversight?
6.  Does anyone have a good workaround for quickly locating a group
    identified only by its call number?  I just scroll around crazily,
    then usually give up and continue with whatever groups I am
    working with at the time.
Thanks.

gerson@parc.xerox.com (Dan Gerson) (03/22/91)

   From: rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi)
   Date: 21 Mar 91 17:33:52 GMT

   These questions are all for the GUIK scenario.
   1.  I can't get Nato or USSR subs to do anything useful, they always get
       detected.  I thought subs were supposed to be a terrible naval
       threat, but I all too easily pick off the opponent's, and he all
       too easily picks off mine.  How can I make my subs escape detection?
       Is there any way to evade torpedoes, exscept for constantly
       changing depth, speed, and direction while enemy torpedoes are in
       the water?  (This involves the frustrating use of Change Course
       again and again.)

Same for me.  The best I can do is to try to position myself in their path, and
then just sit tight.

   2.  Is the computer doing something wrong  in GUIK?  No matter what side
       is taken, we humans always beat the computer, and the  computer does
       incredibly foolish things, like let Bears with 250mi standoff
       missiles get within range of his base, even when he has no distractions
       elsewhere.  Am running this on SE/30.

Yeah, it isn't too smart.  Almost all of the scenarios aren't much of a challenge.
There are a couple that are (such as scenario 8) but not because the computer
is playing smart.

   3.  Annoyingly, Harpoon occasionally freezes after about an hour of play,
       regardless of whether other inits are loaded or no.  I'm using version
       1.0 on System 6.0.7.  Anyone know anything about this?

This is the real reason I'm responding - I'm not sure if everyone knows that when
Harpoon freezes, normally (except in those more rare cases where it freezes the entire
machine) you can pick Save off of the File menu, save your game, quit Harpoon, and
then fire up your saved game.  I find I have to do this frequently, but since I
discovered it, I rarely lose my game state (making Harpoon's bugs much more tolerable).

   4.  Why do air-craft EVER crash because they run out of fuel?  For example,
       if I have a plane on patrol, take it off patrol to intercept/attack
       something, and then want to let it loiter further on patrol, I CAN'T,
       because the computer won't warn me when it reaches bingo fuel.  Does
       anyone know a work-around, or know what I'm doing wrong?

One obvious reason would be if you return to base on military power or something.
But I gather that isn't your question.

I've found that Harpoon doesn't (always?) notify you about a plane reaching
bingo fuel if it is loitering while returning to base.  That is, if you went
and attacked something, then said return to base, and then say loiter, I think
it won't tell you when it reaches bingo fuel.  If this is true, to get around it
go into the set course option, clear the current leg (i.e. clear the return to
base command), and then loiter.

This might not be it - I used to have this problem all the time, and now I
rarely do, so I learned to do something to avoid it.  I think the above was it.

   5.  Why aren't aircraft that have been put on patrol in the formation
       editor not displayed on the map?  Is this a bug/oversight?

I believe it is a feature.

   6.  Does anyone have a good workaround for quickly locating a group
       identified only by its call number?  I just scroll around crazily,
       then usually give up and continue with whatever groups I am
       working with at the time.
   Thanks.

ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) (03/23/91)

As to your fifth question about the patrol aircraft not being desply at the
group map, I must agree with you that it is very annoying especially if you
you send out a large group of bombers escorted by fighters, you would be shot
down before you even know what happened.  I work around it by looking at the
unit map.  Eventhough the patrolling aircrafts in the formation does not show
up in the group map, it does show up in the unit map.  I know you will have to
scroll a lot but that is the only way you can do it.
      BTW, anyone has the MED battleset or the scenario editor yet?