[net.railroad] Green and Gold

In article <1625@brl-tgr.ARPA> Chuck.Weinstock@a.sei.cmu.edu writes:

>I thought that, in addition to the hazards of the chemicals in their
>transformers, that the GG1's were retired because the power for the NE
>Corridor was being changed over to 60 cycle to be supplied by local power
>companies, and that the GG1's couldn't be modified to run on the new power.
>Is this true?  Has the power indeed been changed?

This was originally the reason, but (as someone else pointed out) the change
was never made.  Both the E60's and the AEM7's are built to run on the new
power, should the change ever be made.  Looking at the numbers I have, it's
clear why they remain out of service:

   (a) The PCB problem-- which I suspect could be remedied, but for

   (b) Their age  and

   (c) They are too slow: on the corridor over-100 mph is a necessity to
       maintain schedules.  (Ah, the day when 100 mph is too slow!)

There are a number of GG1s in the Wilmington maint. yard, all in black.  I
suspect some still run, but with enough AEM7s, scrapping or sale seems not
too far off.  (Although AMTRAK is holding onto some ancient diesels too...)

C. Wingate

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (01/17/86)

] umcp-cs!mango writes that GG1's are too slow at 100MPH for
] corridor service

This is true, for the local fast runs up the corridor.  Also, some
of the fast long-distance runs get pulled faster than 100 MPH up the
corridor (last time I rode #20, I clocked it doing 110).

However, many long-haul trains (those carrying amfleet-2 coaches
rather than heritage) can't be pulled at 100MPH.  Thus, our fine
florida trains generally poke along around 80 or 90 even in the
corridor.  Worse: they require two AEM's to pull them due to the
length of train.

What we need is about 2 GG1 locos to pull our florida trains, and any
other long trains that can't go full-speed.  One GG1 will easily pull
an 18-car florida train at top speed for that train.  It's sure cheaper
to use one existing and already-owned loco than to buy two new ones.
--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews, KI4PV
uucp:					...!decvax!ucf-cs!ki4pv!tanner

jis1@mtgzz.UUCP (j.mukerji) (01/20/86)

> This was originally the reason, but (as someone else pointed out) the change
> was never made.  Both the E60's and the AEM7's are built to run on the new
> power, should the change ever be made.  Looking at the numbers I have, it's
> clear why they remain out of service:
>
>    (a) The PCB problem-- which I suspect could be remedied, but for
>
>    (b) Their age  and
>
>    (c) They are too slow: on the corridor over-100 mph is a necessity to
>        maintain schedules.  (Ah, the day when 100 mph is too slow!)

Actually, the E60s are never scheduled to run over 85mph. They have a sad
tendency to chew up the track and jump off them and higher speeds. That is
why you will never see them on Metroliners or even on non-Metroliner
NYC-Washington trains. Typically, you see them on the Florida trains and
sometimes on the Clockers.

I suspect that the real reason for retiring the GG-1s was that their
cost of maintenance was becoming progressively exorbitent. But then I am
told that the E60s have a similar problem.

Jishnu Mukerji
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Middletown NJ
mtgzz!jis1

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (01/22/86)

> In article <1625@brl-tgr.ARPA> Chuck.Weinstock@a.sei.cmu.edu writes:
>
> >I thought that, in addition to the hazards of the chemicals in their
> >transformers, that the GG1's were retired because the power for the NE
> >Corridor was being changed over to 60 cycle to be supplied by local power
> >companies, and that the GG1's couldn't be modified to run on the new power.
> >Is this true?  Has the power indeed been changed?
>
> This was originally the reason, but (as someone else pointed out) the change
> was never made.  Both the E60's and the AEM7's are built to run on the new
> power, should the change ever be made.  Looking at the numbers I have, it's
> clear why they remain out of service:
>
>    (a) The PCB problem-- which I suspect could be remedied, but for
>
>    (b) Their age  and
>
>    (c) They are too slow: on the corridor over-100 mph is a necessity to
>        maintain schedules.  (Ah, the day when 100 mph is too slow!)

In a word - bull. the gg-1s were retired due to high maintenance cost and
metal fatigue in the frames.  look at any g and you will see numerous
welds where the frame have crystalized, cracked and been repaired by welding.
yes - orginally they were supposed to change the voltage to 25KV and the
gg-1 was not changeable (?) due to fact that they used transformers and
AC motors, rather than rectification and dc mortors.  gg-1s maintained
100+ mph schedules for years and were capable of continueing to do so.

most gg-1s had been regeared w/'90'mph gears in the early sixties -
which limied them to ~107. thos w/100mph gears could maintian the 100+ schedules, pro
probably up to 110-112 average.  but they were getting to be very
unreliable mechanically and having structural deterioration as well.

midkiff@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/25/86)

This may be a stupid question, but how do you tell how fast a train is
going while riding on it?

Sam Midkiff

[ihnp4 | pur-ee}!uiucdcs!midkiff

jis1@mtgzz.UUCP (j.mukerji) (01/26/86)

> This may be a stupid question, but how do you tell how fast a train is
> going while riding on it?
>
> Sam Midkiff

You could look for the mileposts that are usually posted along the track.
Once you have discovered what them you can time them as you pas them and
then compute the speed from that.

If you are riding the Jersey Arrows on NJTransit or the M1/M2 on LIRR you
can walk up to the first car and take a peek at the speedometer on the
motorman's console. It is really amazing how "not fast" 85mph feels on the
well maintained tracks of the North East Corridor even when riding in a
NJTransit commuter train!

Jishnu Mukerji