[comp.sys.mac.games] Starflight

rcross@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert Cross) (07/26/90)

	Well, I finally took the steep plunge and shelled out for
Starflight.  It looks like it will be fun if the little bugs don't eat
me up.  E.g., all stars (in interplanetary space) read as type F,
slightly unstable; the doctor remembers the order of the crew members
in the files, not the crew assignments.  This is the mono version 1.00
running on a vanilla Mac+ (only init is INIT).  Has anyone seen a
later version, have comments, etc.?

Bob Cross
rcross@silver.ucs.indiana.edu	--- Insert clever remark/quote here ---
rcross@iubacs.BITNET

Diane.Ward@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Diane Ward) (01/28/91)

Hey there sports fans...is there anyone that is or has played the Starflight
game by Interstel?  I've been playing it for awhile and have to finnaly admit
that I am stuck!!!  How do you deal with the crystal planet and what about
the creatures that seem to speak in binary...I've got a feeling they are
connected.  I'll take any and all suggestions!
PS  Any one been able to play the Kobayashi Alternative on the Mac...I get
stuck at a certain point and all I get form the company is that it must be a
compatibility problem with my SE.
Di

--
Diane Ward - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Diane.Ward

picard@milton.u.washington.edu (Mary Stumpel) (03/21/91)

Hi everyone. Remember that game Electronic Arts released some time ago
called "Starflight?" Having never played the game before, I would like
to ask you folks if this game is any good. The premise sounds interesting,
but I've never seen the game (not even a demo) so if there is anyone
willing to give me a quick review, that would be most appreciated.

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (03/22/91)

picard@milton.u.washington.edu (Mary Stumpel) writes:

>Hi everyone. Remember that game Electronic Arts released some time ago
>called "Starflight?" Having never played the game before, I would like
>to ask you folks if this game is any good. The premise sounds interesting,
>but I've never seen the game (not even a demo) so if there is anyone
>willing to give me a quick review, that would be most appreciated.

Definitely one the great classics.. I had the IBM version though.
It had mediocre graphics, but the playing field is IMMENSE - i believe
it had about 80 starsystems, each with an average of 3-4 planets (max
8 i think). You could also land anywhere on any planet - i'm fairly
sure the terrain was generated via random number seed. The terrain
actually was deterministic though - land in the same place twice, and
it looks exactly alike. The plot was also fairly original, and had
some pretty good twists (won't spoil them for you). If you find it,
i recommend it highly - i still have some random hint sheets around too
if you ever have any questions on winning.

The basic premise is this:
You are the captain of a spacecraft (big surprise). Of late, several
star systems have become unstable, and the resulting supernovae of
some of the stars laid waste to their inner planets. Your assignment
is to find out why, and, if possible, prevent it from happening
to your home planet. Along the way you meet hostile/friendly aliens
and land on planets to mine valuable minerals which you sell to make
money, repair your ship, etc. Its fairly complex and involving. The
size of the area you can explore is overwhelming.. Just doing that
and ignoring the plot can keep you occupied for weeks.

good luck on finding it..  If i can find my old one, i suppose i could
lend/sell it to you.

nyet@truebalt.caltech.edu

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (03/23/91)

About Starflight... I agree that it's a great game and that I had a lot of fun
with it.  I'd recommend it as well.  But a couple of corrections...

There aren't that many planets.  Some systems are composed of a lonely sun.
And you can't land on all planets, since some planets, the gravity is too
strong and may crush the ship's hull.  But all in all, I loved it.  Talking
with the alien life (or at least trying to) was a lot of fun.

Jaxon.