[comp.sys.mac.games] SimEarth problems

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (03/22/91)

I just got SimEarth and have been playing it a couple of times.  Each time I
play, however, the program freezes.  Nothing works.  The mouse, the keys are all
dead.  The only way to get out is to turn the computer off.  I own a Mac SE,
1 MB memory, and I am running it on an hard drive.  Is anyone having the same
problems?  Any suggestions?  I use system v.6.0.7 and also have SAM on the
system folder.  Could that be the problem?  Any help would be very much
appreciated.  Thanks.

Jaxon.
U.of Rochester.

kempkec@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Christopher Kempke) (03/22/91)

In article <12881@ur-cc.UUCP> jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) writes:
>I just got SimEarth and have been playing it a couple of times.  Each time I
>play, however, the program freezes.  Nothing works.  The mouse, the keys are al

[etc]

	I use a billion inits, cdevs, system folders, spindlers, and muti-
	lators.  SimEarth survives them all, with a notable exception-
	SoundMaster (all versions).  SimEarth dies a horrible death when
	SoundMaster actually tries to make a sound, usually the lockup
	behaviour described above.  Is this just me?  I solved the problem
	by ditching SoundMaster; you might try that if you've got it.

		--Chris

daybell@nunki.usc.edu (Donald Daybell) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.091743.26387@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> kempkec@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Christopher Kempke) writes:
>In article <12881@ur-cc.UUCP> jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) writes:
>>I just got SimEarth and have been playing it a couple of times.  Each time I
>>play, however, the program freezes.  Nothing works.  The mouse, the keys are al
>
>[etc]
>
>	I use a billion inits, cdevs, system folders, spindlers, and muti-
>	lators.  SimEarth survives them all, with a notable exception-
>	SoundMaster (all versions).  SimEarth dies a horrible death when
>	SoundMaster actually tries to make a sound, usually the lockup
>	behaviour described above.  Is this just me?  I solved the problem
>	by ditching SoundMaster; you might try that if you've got it.
>
>		--Chris

Interesting.  I use significantly less than a billion inits, etc., but one
of these is in fact Soundmaster.  I've used SimEarth both with and without
Multifinder, and have never had SoundMaster-SimEarth conflicts.  I'm
running on an SE, if that makes a difference.

bumper sticker seen on stealth bomber:

"IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THEN WE WASTED 50 BILLION BUCKS."

Donald Daybell		daybell@usc.edu