[comp.sys.mac.games] Problems with VETTE!

darkstar@wam.umd.edu (Martin Walser) (03/20/91)

   I purchased VETTE! a couple days ago for my vanilla Mac II.
After installing Color VETTE! (self-expanding archive), I tried to
run the game. The opening screen/animation loads fine in nice 16 colors.
Then, when the game tries to go to the "garage" screen, I get this dialogue:
Error!
ID=2  GetPict error. PICT not found.
Or something to that effect and the program quits. I took the software back
to Egghead and reported the problem. After pulling another copy off the shelf,
we checked to see if the new copy would run on their machine. It did, so the
dealer allowed me to copy the files from the off the shelf copy onto my disks
figuring I just happened to get a bad disk or something. I took it home again,
reinstalled, and got the same message. It worked on THEIR machine... how come
not MINE? I am going to go back tomorrow to try again.
I have 2megs of memory and only a few inits running, which I turned off to see
if they may have affected the install. No dice. Just out of curiosity, I opened
the copy installed on my hard disk with ResEdit and notice a number of blank
PICT IDs... 134 thru 140 were empty as well as a few others with higher ID #s.
For some reason, it's not installing all the resources right on my machine.
(at least the PICTs). Anoyone else experiencing similar problems?

Mart <darkstar@cscwam.umd.edu>

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/21/91)

darkstar@wam.umd.edu (Martin Walser) writes:

>   I purchased VETTE! a couple days ago for my vanilla Mac II.
>After installing Color VETTE! (self-expanding archive), I tried to
>run the game. The opening screen/animation loads fine in nice 16 colors.
>Then, when the game tries to go to the "garage" screen, I get this dialogue:
>Error!
>ID=2  GetPict error. PICT not found.
>Or something to that effect and the program quits. I took the software back
>to Egghead and reported the problem. After pulling another copy off the shelf,
>we checked to see if the new copy would run on their machine. It did, so the
>dealer allowed me to copy the files from the off the shelf copy onto my disks
>figuring I just happened to get a bad disk or something. I took it home again,
>reinstalled, and got the same message. It worked on THEIR machine... how come
>not MINE? I am going to go back tomorrow to try again.
>I have 2megs of memory and only a few inits running, which I turned off to see
>if they may have affected the install. No dice. Just out of curiosity, I opened
>the copy installed on my hard disk with ResEdit and notice a number of blank
>PICT IDs... 134 thru 140 were empty as well as a few others with higher ID #s.
>For some reason, it's not installing all the resources right on my machine.
>(at least the PICTs). Anoyone else experiencing similar problems?

>Mart <darkstar@cscwam.umd.edu>

1) Are you running the proper System version?  (I think they said 6.0.5)
2) Do you have 32-bit QuickDraw installed?

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joseph A. Murphy) (03/21/91)

You probably don't have enough RAM available, turn
off Multifinder or try booting from a System Tools
disk and then run the game. I have tried it on several
machines, with loads of inits and it works fine. The color
version needs at least 1500k.

It is a great game, I have never played a game on the Mac
before that would run with Multifinder/many inits.

--
Joe Murphy
National Institutes of Health

Internet: jmurphy@helix.nih.gov, Bitnet: hal@nihdcrt

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.074647.15048@wam.umd.edu>, darkstar@wam.umd.edu (Martin Walser) writes:

>    I purchased VETTE! a couple days ago for my vanilla Mac II.
> After installing Color VETTE! (self-expanding archive), I tried to
> run the game. The opening screen/animation loads fine in nice 16 colors.
> Then, when the game tries to go to the "garage" screen, I get this dialogue:
> Error!
> ID=2  GetPict error. PICT not found.

ID=2 must be the programmers own coding.  ID=2 is the DREADED Bus Errror which
usually refers to a reference to a nil handle.  Actually, I suppose if you
tried to load a PICT and nothing was returned, you WOULD have a nil handle.
Okay, I type faster than I think.

> I have 2megs of memory and only a few inits running, which I turned off to see

Make sure you have your Ram Cache turned off.  Two megs is healthy, but a large
PICT needs lots of memory and might also be interpreted (upon failure) as a
PICT not found.

> if they may have affected the install. No dice. Just out of curiosity, I opened
> the copy installed on my hard disk with ResEdit and notice a number of blank
> PICT IDs... 134 thru 140 were empty as well as a few others with higher ID #s.>

Be Sure they really ARE empty.  GetInfo on the PICT or double click on it in
ResEdit.  PICT's larger than about 25K or so are left blank in ResEdit.  This
will include most full-screen 16 color PICTs.

 For some reason, it's not installing all the resources right on my machine.
> (at least the PICTs). Anoyone else experiencing similar problems?
>
> Mart <darkstar@cscwam.umd.edu>

Hope I was of SOME help.

john calhoun

jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joseph A. Murphy) writes:

>You probably don't have enough RAM available, turn
>off Multifinder or try booting from a System Tools
>disk and then run the game. I have tried it on several
>machines, with loads of inits and it works fine. The color
>version needs at least 1500k.

>It is a great game, I have never played a game on the Mac
>before that would run with Multifinder/many inits.

>--
>Joe Murphy
>National Institutes of Health
>Division of Computer Research and Technology
>Personal Computing Branch, Macintosh Support Group

>Internet: jmurphy@helix.nih.gov, Bitnet: hal@nihdcrt

which games do you have?!

Here's all the games I have that work great under MF and gobs of inits:

Oids
Spaceward Ho!
Vette!
Shanghai
Ishido
Crystal Quest
Seahaven Towers
SimCity
SimEarth
Jack Nicklaus golf
Tetris
Stratego
Falcon (usually ;)
3 in Three
Solarian II
etc.

in fact the only one I can think of off-hand that doesn't work under MF is
Sky Shadow

Spaceward

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.150059@helix.nih.gov> jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joseph A. Murphy) writes:
>You probably don't have enough RAM available, turn
>off Multifinder or try booting from a System Tools
>disk and then run the game.
From the original posting, it sounded like the program had trouble in the
installation procedure.  A previous article mentioned trying to use the proper
version system  - 6.0.5 for the II.  I would suggest this also.

>I have tried it on several
>machines, with loads of inits and it works fine. The color
>version needs at least 1500k.
>It is a great game, I have never played a game on the Mac
>before that would run with Multifinder/many inits.
Ditto.  Sphere did a fine job on the Mac Version.  It even runs on my IIci
with no problems.  (Will miracles never cease?!?)

--
Robert S. Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

ylsul@athena.mit.edu (Young Sul) (03/22/91)

Hi!

Does anybody have this problem? Whenever I win a race in Vette!, as soon
as I cross the finish line, the screen goes black and nothing happens
until I click on the mouse: I then get the score/time screen. If, however,
the computer wins, I get a picture of the opponent laughing at me...
is there something I'm missing or not doing?

Young Sul
Project Athena, MIT

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.162457.23842@athena.mit.edu> ylsul@athena.mit.edu (Young Sul) writes:
>Does anybody have this problem? Whenever I win a race in Vette!, as soon
>as I cross the finish line, the screen goes black and nothing happens
>until I click on the mouse: I then get the score/time screen. If, however,
>the computer wins, I get a picture of the opponent laughing at me...
>is there something I'm missing or not doing?

Well, having never seen Vette, it seems pretty obvious to me.
You're not laughing at your opponent when you win. Right now
the computer driver is wondering why everytime he loses all
he sees is a confused user staring at him.
Sorry couldn't resist . . .

 :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
.
.

--
Ted Goldstein                            E-mail: du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Network and Systems Admninistrator       Phone : (317) 494-9070

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (03/25/91)

Sky Shadow does work under MultiFinder.

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/26/91)

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:

>Sky Shadow does work under MultiFinder.

Which version?  Mine crashes when you advance to the next level.