[comp.sys.mac.games] Tell me about VETTE!!!!!

moyer@brahms.udel.edu (Eric Moyer) (03/22/91)

 Can someone post a descent review of vette? I've been trying to decide
weather or not to buy the thing, but I have yet to see a full review.
 How does it compare to hard driving? What are the play modes (can you race,
drive around, try to visit checkpoints, what?) How are the graphics? In
how many colors and how fast? Are they solid modeled? Are there lots of
buildings all over, or just a few specific ones? (I mean, is it like the
MS flight simulator where the ground is all flat except for a few landmarks?)
Are there road signs, traffic lights, guard rails, bridges?
 Is the ground 3d? (hills, curving bridges, etc) Are there any places to
pull stunts (like in hard driving, jumps, loops, or stuff like that?)

 Most importantly - do you still like to play it now that you've had it
for a while?
                                                  Thanks

      Eric P. Moyer          /----- You are a fluke of the universe. ---------/
  moyer@brahms.udel.edu     /         You have no right to be here.          /
   Into the night as....   /        Whether you can hear it or not,         /
  KA3YED on 28.460 MHz    /--- The universe is laughing behind your back. -/

wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) (03/26/91)

In article <19882@brahms.udel.edu> moyer@brahms.udel.edu (Eric Moyer) writes:

> Can someone post a descent review of vette? I've been trying to decide
>weather or not to buy the thing, but I have yet to see a full review.
> How does it compare to hard driving? What are the play modes (can you race,
>drive around, try to visit checkpoints, what?) How are the graphics? In
>how many colors and how fast? Are they solid modeled? Are there lots of
>buildings all over, or just a few specific ones? (I mean, is it like the
>MS flight simulator where the ground is all flat except for a few landmarks?)
>Are there road signs, traffic lights, guard rails, bridges?
> Is the ground 3d? (hills, curving bridges, etc) Are there any places to
>pull stunts (like in hard driving, jumps, loops, or stuff like that?)

Basically, yes, yes, yes....

Vette is a blast, but only if you have color!  I was stuck playing it for the first
few days in black and white because my System was out of date.  The b&w version
seems slower (it shouldn't be, and I wasn't playing the 68000 version) and the
graphics don't have enough contrast to navigate well.  Your depth perception seems
to work better with color, and that becomes damned important at 250mph.

It's interesting that you compare it to Flight Simulator because Vette can be a
flight sim. as well.  Just adjust gravity to minimum in the preferences menu, get
on Divisidero facing north (towards Pacific Heights) and floor it--once you reach
the top of the hill, instant flight simulator.  If you're using the Sledgehammer
vette and hit max speed at the top of the hill, you can reach Alcatraz.  It's
pretty amazing that the graphics support extended airborne travel; you can
literally jump over the city and see it below you.  The problem is that the car
tumbles in flight.  I think the next release should have a car with Speed
Racer-type winglets for semi-controlled flight.