[comp.sys.mac.games] Help needed for Curse of AB

ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) (03/25/91)

I have just recently elimated the fourth bond.  However, when I chase after the
Beholder and the Medusa to rechieve the Amulet of Lathander, my party would get
wiped out before I even get close to the Beholder.  On the Advanturers Journal
it said that Beholder is a level X monster and its attacks are most deadly when
it attacks at short range and it is also immune to spells.  However, as I found
out through endless trial and error, the only damages I was able to inflict on
the monster is through fighter doing close battles.  Even that would usually
end when the deadly monster wipe me out with its endless eye stalks and power-
ful spells.  Has anyone defeated this fiend yet?  I have several fighters and
rangers that are above level 8 and my cleric and magic user are also above
level 8.  Thanx in advance!

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (03/26/91)

In article <91083.155012ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) writes:
>I have just recently elimated the fourth bond.  However, when I chase after the
>Beholder and the Medusa to rechieve the Amulet of Lathander, my party would get
>wiped out before I even get close to the Beholder.  On the Advanturers Journal
>it said that Beholder is a level X monster and its attacks are most deadly when
>it attacks at short range and it is also immune to spells.  However, as I found
>out through endless trial and error, the only damages I was able to inflict on
>the monster is through fighter doing close battles.  Even that would usually
>end when the deadly monster wipe me out with its endless eye stalks and power-
>ful spells.  Has anyone defeated this fiend yet?  I have several fighters and
>rangers that are above level 8 and my cleric and magic user are also above
>level 8.  Thanx in advance!

Ye    The trick is to find out where an encounter takes place and then sa
game.  Heal up the party and then cast all the defensive spells you can.
Miror Image, Protection from Evil, Enlarge, Bless, Haste, Fire Shield, and
Invisibility are all good spells.  (You have to make sure you're aware of the
duration of the various spells.)

With Haste and Invisibility, it should be possible for you to get a fighter or
two right next to the Beholder.  If the way is blocked, cast a Lightning Bolt
or Fireball (or two) to clear a path.  Another trick is to have a dual-class
fighter/mage cast Dimension Door to the back of the monster party. (Even better,
a fighter/mage/thief.)

Most of my party is a dual-class or multiclass fighter/spell caster.  It takes
longer to get characters to that point, but the party is much more flexible that
way.

Andre Sean Brown <ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/26/91)

Thanx for all the help on how to defeat the Beholder.  Now I have another
question.  I have a Cleric/Magic User character and a Fighter/Thief character
on my party.  The cleric/magic level is 5/8 and the fighter/thief has a level
of 5/9.  How could that be?  Why can't I advance a level in the first class.
For example, the cleric/magic user character only advance levels on his second
class and not the first.  I desperately need a high level cleric to be on my
party because I'm on route to defeat my last master.  Help!

troll@world.std.com (Dr. H. Lecter) (03/26/91)

In article <91083.155012ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) writes:
>I have just recently elimated the fourth bond.  However, when I chase after the
>Beholder and the Medusa to rechieve the Amulet of Lathander, my party would get
>wiped out before I even get close to the Beholder.  On the Advanturers Journal
>it said that Beholder is a level X monster and its attacks are most deadly when
>it attacks at short range and it is also immune to spells.  However, as I found
>out through endless trial and error, the only damages I was able to inflict on
>the monster is through fighter doing close battles.  Even that would usually
>end when the deadly monster wipe me out with its endless eye stalks and power-
>ful spells.  Has anyone defeated this fiend yet?  I have several fighters and
>rangers that are above level 8 and my cleric and magic user are also above
>level 8.  Thanx in advance!

As I recall, the situation is that everyone is in a long, not-so-wide,
corridor.  The best thing to do is to make sure several people are
hasted and invisible before encoutering the group (I trust you saved
just before this combat, right :-)).  Make sure to cast the
invisibility spell last; casting anything afterwards, even haste,
'visibilizes' the caster.

The important thing is to keep the monsters at a distance.  The
beholders eyebeams have a shorter range than your bows and many of
your spells.  Confusion is perfect for dealing with the minotaurs;
charm or hold monster work well also.  I have never found charm/hold
to work on the medusa.

Make sure your spellcasters have been equipped with a mirror - archers
need both hands, but casters/wand-weilders don't.  Don't cast spells
at the beholder; it's a waste.  Cast spells on the minotaurs, the
medusa, and yourselves.

Keep retreating as the beholder approaches!

Good luck,

--
+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+O+

troll@world.std.com			"Typhoid and swans -- it all
					  comes from the same place."

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (03/27/91)

In article <91085.091433ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Andre Sean Brown) writes:
>Thanx for all the help on how to defeat the Beholder.  Now I have another
>question.  I have a Cleric/Magic User character and a Fighter/Thief character
>on my party.  The cleric/magic level is 5/8 and the fighter/thief has a level
>of 5/9.  How could that be?  Why can't I advance a level in the first class.
>For example, the cleric/magic user character only advance levels on his second
>class and not the first.  I desperately need a high level cleric to be on my
>party because I'm on route to defeat my last master.  Help!

Your half-elf cleric/magic-user is limited to 5th level.  Read the manual.
You DO have the manual, don't you?  Try page 23.

Similarly, your fighter is either:
1) a halfling
2) a gnome with strength < 18, or
3) an elf with strength < 17

The solution?  Buy a human.  Dual class him.  That's what I did...I ended up
(with characters transfered from pool) with:
2 MU/Rangers
1 Cleric/MU
1 Fighter/Cleric
1 Thief/MU
1 Fighter/Thief

I would much rather have started off with rangers instead of fighters, but
pool only had fighters, and I wanted to use the same guys.