[comp.sys.mac.games] Wanted: Info on new Wizardry Games

eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (03/18/91)

I'm thinking about buying one (or both) of the new Wizardry games: "Knight of
Diamonds" and "Bane of the Cosmic Forge."  But I have some questions:

  + Can I transfer my characters from the "Proving Grounds" into either of the
    new games?  I bought the "Proving Grounds" way back in 1985...

  + What do people think about "Bane of the Cosmic Forge"?  From Sir-Tech's
    promotional brochure, it sounds very interesting: lots more options,
    improved graphics and animation, digitized sounds, and so on.  Will it
    run on my lowly Mac Plus (with 2.5 Mb)?

(If these topics have recently been discussed, I'm sorry.  I just subscribed
to this group, and I didn't find any answers in the ~250 archived messages.)
All opinions appreciated.

Eric Eide         |                        University of Utah Department of CS
eeide@cs.utah.edu |  Buddist to hot dog vendor: "Make me one with everything."

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (03/18/91)

   The second Wizardry game, Knight of Diamonds, is good.  It is very similar
to the first scenarion, and you MUST transfer characters from Wiz I to use it.
It's intended to be a harder set of levels from the first game.

   Bane of the Cosmic Forge is vaporware.  I ordered it on October 30 last year
and I'm still waiting.  MacWarehouse is getting tired of my weekly calls.
I hear it's really a nice game, but that's from insiders and the game brochure
you seem to have.  Maybe it'll be out in a few more weeks.

Jon Pace
CMU - GSIA

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar17.153358.23687@hellgate.utah.edu>, eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) writes:
> I'm thinking about buying one (or both) of the new Wizardry games: "Knight of
> Diamonds" and "Bane of the Cosmic Forge."  But I have some questions:
>
>   + Can I transfer my characters from the "Proving Grounds" into either of the
>     new games?  I bought the "Proving Grounds" way back in 1985...

Yes, you can transfer characters from  Proving Grounds to Knight of Diamonds. In fact,
you must do so, since you cannot create characters in KOD.

>   + What do people think about "Bane of the Cosmic Forge"?  From Sir-Tech's
>     promotional brochure, it sounds very interesting: lots more options,
>     improved graphics and animation, digitized sounds, and so on.  Will it
>     run on my lowly Mac Plus (with 2.5 Mb)?

This product is still in beta test for the Mac, but I think it's out for other
machines already. You will be able to run it in that configuration (that's how
I am beta-ing now) and I think it will run in 1 Meg also. There are still some
questions about 24-bit cards for the Mac II family, but it may be released soon.
The puzzles are quite nice, there are several new races and character classes and
all the spells have been redone. Also, you promote in the dungeon, so do not
have to go back out (at all, I think)

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

Bob.Nordling@f13.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Nordling) (03/28/91)

* In a message originally to All, Jonathan Pace said:
>   Bane of the Cosmic Forge is vaporware.  I ordered it on
>October 30 last year
>and I'm still waiting.  MacWarehouse is getting tired of my
>weekly calls.
>I hear it's really a nice game, but that's from insiders and
>the game brochure
>you seem to have.  Maybe it'll be out in a few more weeks.

The programmer doing the port of Bane to the Mac is on Compuserve
---