[comp.sys.mac.games] Games/Colors

dyozie@oracle.uucp (David Yozie) (03/27/91)

I haven't got a color monitor yet, but I had a question about color Mac games
in general.  How many colors do they actually use?  I have SimEarth and have
had occasion to play it on a color machine.  I remember getting a message
saying that SimEarth works best in 16?-color mode.  It didn't lie - the thing
was painfully slow in the higher-color mode.

Do any games out there use full, 8-bit color?  24-bit? (I wouldn't think
there'd be much demand for 24-bit games.)

Thanks,
David.

ireland@ac.dal.ca (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.234351.5982@oracle.com>, dyozie@oracle.uucp (David Yozie) writes:

> Do any games out there use full, 8-bit color?  24-bit? (I wouldn't think
> there'd be much demand for 24-bit games.)
>
> Thanks,
> David.

Ishido comes with a black and white version and a version for 8 bit color.
The color version is really beautiful.

Keith

mkelly@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (03/27/91)

There are only two color Mac games that I know of that use 256 colors -
Solarian and Diamonds.  All others use 16.

Anyone know of any others?

Mike.
Michael A. Kelly                                   America Online: Michael792
mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu                                  Compu$erve: 73567,1651

opstad@Apple.COM (David Opstad) (03/28/91)

In (some article or other), Michael A. Kelly writes:
>There are only two color Mac games that I know of that use 256 colors -
>Solarian and Diamonds.  All others use 16.
>
>Anyone know of any others?

3 in Three makes use of 256 colors. I've had people come by while I was play-
ing the game and comment on how nice the display looked.

Dave Opstad (opstad@apple.com)
Line Layout Weenie

epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471) (03/28/91)

	Seahaven Towers is a really neat solitaire card game that uses
256 colors.

Ed Payne                       |     Harris, GASD     | If I only had more than
epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com    |     Melbourne, Fl    | 3 lines....

cring@hpihoah.cup.hp.com (Craig Ring) (03/29/91)

The color version of Tetris requires 256 colors. (used for the background
pictures, not the blocks)

Craig Ring
cring@hpihoah.cup.hp.com

Mark.Tucker@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Mark Tucker) (03/29/91)

MA> From: mkelly@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly)
MA> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.games

MA> There are only two color Mac games that I know of that use 256 colors
MA> Solarian and Diamonds.  All others use 16.

MA> Anyone know of any others?

MA> Mike.
MA> --
MA> ______________________________________________________________________
MA> Michael A. Kelly                                   America Online: Mic
MA> mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu                                  Compu$erve: 735
MA> ______________________________________________________________________
 I believe that Oids uses 256 colors.  It is a great game.

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh Files - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421)

Mark.Tucker@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Mark Tucker) (03/29/91)

DO> 3 in Three makes use of 256 colors. I've had people come by while I wa
DO> ing the game and comment on how nice the display looked.

DO> Dave Opstad (opstad@apple.com)
DO> Line Layout Weenie
 What is 3 in Three?

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh Files - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421)

dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) (03/30/91)

It doesn't use 256 colors; in fact, on my IIsi, it bombs if you start
it in 256-color mode.
Great game, though.

Joev Dubach
--
----

mkelly@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (03/31/91)

In article <670201213.1@blkcat.Fidonet.Org> Mark.Tucker@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Mark Tucker) writes:
> I believe that Oids uses 256 colors.  It is a great game.

Actually, it uses 16 colors.  It switches automagically when you start the
game, and switches back when it quits, so it may appear to work in 8-bit mode
if that's what you were in when you started the game.  There are a few
others that do this also, and several that I _wish_ did.