[comp.sys.mac.games] Wizardry Ninjas

plc@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/23/91)

I have been trying to get a ninja character on Wizardry (Proving Grounds) for
quite some time now, without success.  I have two evil fighters (one human, one
dwarf) with impressively high stats in most areas, levels 12 and 13.  Each time
I gain a level with these guys, though, there is no option to change character
to ninja.
What is needed for this character type?

                                               PLC@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
                                               PLC@crnlvax5

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.143647.3557@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> plc@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I have been trying to get a ninja character on Wizardry (Proving Grounds) for
>quite some time now, without success.  I have two evil fighters (one human, one
>dwarf) with impressively high stats in most areas, levels 12 and 13.  Each time
>I gain a level with these guys, though, there is no option to change character
>to ninja.
>What is needed for this character type?

You need straight 17's; no less.  Impossible to get with a starting character;
but if you reroll enough you'll get a guy with 27 or 30 extra points; that's
about as close as you can get.

The solution for your guys?  Cheat, or go up more levels...

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (03/23/91)

It's been a while since I played Wizardry, and I don't remember the exact numberof points needed for a ninja, except that they were high in strength, vitality,
agility, and luck.  Probably on the others as well.  But if you ever find a
Thieves' dagger, give it to your thief and have him use the item.  That will
bring your character to a ninja right away.

Jaxon.

robinh@harlie.corp.sgi.com (Robin Hayes) (03/27/91)

From what I can remember about Wizardry, Ninjas must have 17 in ALL stats and be of EVIL alignment.  I have 3 or 4 of them, and they are worth the effort (multiple attacks etc...)

Robin Hayes

baillie@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Stephen Baillie) (03/28/91)

robinh@harlie.corp.sgi.com (Robin Hayes) writes:

>From what I can remember about Wizardry, Ninjas must have 17 in ALL stats and
>be of EVIL alignment.  I have 3 or 4 of them, and they are worth the effort
>(multiple attacks etc...)

Ho boy... This discussion is getting tedious... Actually, Ninja's don't
require straight 17's - there is a set of stats required to become a Ninja,
but it's not that impressive (I can't remember offhand but will try to look
it up), and they must be of evil alignments. The main advantages of being a
Ninja are not multiple attacks (everyone gets those!) but their ability to
critically hit (ie, automatically kill regardless of damage) and opponent,
and the fact that their armour class decreases by 1 each 2 levels (I think
that is the correct ratio; I haven't checked for a while).
    In my experience the best way to get a Ninja is to take a thief and use
the special power of the dagger of thievery/Thieve's dagger (It's something
like that anyway). This turns your humble thief straight into a Ninja
regardless of stats/alignment/etc. In Wizardry I I have a group of three
samurai, two lords and a ninja (ex thief and of neutral alignment). The only
thing I use the ninja's special abilities is opening chests, as the samurai
are so much better in combat! I'm serious - Ninjas aren't as amazing as you
may think.
    Ok, Is this thread dead now?

Steve.

walkow@campus.swarthmore.edu (03/29/91)

In article <baillie.670116716@mullauna>, baillie@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Stephen Baillie) writes...
>    In my experience the best way to get a Ninja is to take a thief and use
>the special power of the dagger of thievery/Thieve's dagger (It's something
>like that anyway). This turns your humble thief straight into a Ninja
>regardless of stats/alignment/etc. In Wizardry I I have a group of three
>samurai, two lords and a ninja (ex thief and of neutral alignment). The only
>thing I use the ninja's special abilities is opening chests, as the samurai
>are so much better in combat! I'm serious - Ninjas aren't as amazing as you
>may think.
>Steve.

  Yes! Samurai with Murusama blades will kick anything's butt, no problem.
Each samurai will get 4-5 attacks totalling 125+ hp damage, so almost
everything gets killed in one blow! I was very unimpressed with Ninja.

Marc Walkow
WALKOW@campus.swarthmore.edu

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (03/30/91)

> Ok, Is this thread dead now?

actually, my ninja (30th + level) does better than either my Lord or
Samurai (roughly 28th level)... of course, this is without neat
magicacl effects (like using the Katana's special power).  I have the
ninja equipped with Shuriken, the Lord with a Dragon Slayer & Armor of
Lourdes, and the Samurai with a Katana.

...they call me...     	ARPA: es2q@andrew.cmu.edu  / "I didn't say it.
     fluppie?		BBS:  (412) 683-1235	  /  Nobody saw me type it.
			Fido: 129/107		 /  They can't prove anything."

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (04/02/91)

In article <obwyk_y00VQCI1frg8@andrew.cmu.edu> es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
>actually, my ninja (30th + level) does better than either my Lord or
>Samurai (roughly 28th level)... of course, this is without neat
>magicacl effects (like using the Katana's special power).  I have the
>ninja equipped with Shuriken, the Lord with a Dragon Slayer & Armor of
>Lourdes, and the Samurai with a Katana.

Uhhh, what's a Katana?  I was pretty sure I found everything there was to
find in Wizardry I.  If you use a Murasama Blade with your Samurai, it should
do much better than any Ninja.  I prefer to use a Cuisinart Blade with my
Lord.  Unfortunately, my Ninja is neutral so the Shuriken acts like it's
cursed.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616