[comp.sys.mac.games] PD/SW Games list

gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/01/91)

	As you may or may not remember, I solicited this group for
"Top Ten" lists of PD/SW games for Compact Macs a few weeks ago.
Well, it's the end of the month, so I thought I'd give out what was
compiled.

	I only got 7 responses, so I didn't put as much effort into
testing and finding things as I might have if there had been a larger
response.  The following games are the ones suggested, in final
ranking order.  There is no "best/worst" - the rating is from most
popular to maginally popular.

1)  Continuum 1.0.3
2)  Glypha 3.0
3)  Glider+ 3.0
4)  Risk
5)  Pararena 1.2
6)  NetHack 3.0j
7)  Theldrow 2.2
8)  Toxic Ravine 1.1
9)  Star Roids 7.0
10) Hextris

All are available via anonymous ftp from sumex.stanford.edu

	Of interesting note is that I did receive a vote for Stella
Obscura (although it didn't make the compiled Top Ten).  That means
that all of Soft Dorothy's stuff made it, in one way or another - and
the other three (Glider, Glypha, and Pararena) fairly dominate the top
five.  You must be doing something right, John...

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/03/91)

> 1)  Continuum 1.0.3
> 2)  Glypha 3.0
> 3)  Glider+ 3.0
> 4)  Risk
> 5)  Pararena 1.2
> 6)  NetHack 3.0j
> 7)  Theldrow 2.2
> 8)  Toxic Ravine 1.1
> 9)  Star Roids 7.0
> 10) Hextris

Has anyone else wondered why Solarian II isn't listed?  Was it just too small
of a sample size (skewed data)?

john calhoun

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.164545.29410@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>> 1)  Continuum 1.0.3
>> [And the rest of my list...]
>
>Has anyone else wondered why Solarian II isn't listed?  Was it just too small
>of a sample size (skewed data)?

	Uhm, John, if you check the initial "filter" for the list, I
was trying to create a list of games that were for the compact Macs.
(Plus, SE, SE/30, Classic).  Thus, no color games...

	And it was a horribly small sample, anyways.  7 people.  <sigh>

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1         + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/04/91)

>>Has anyone else wondered why Solarian II isn't listed?  Was it just too small
>>of a sample size (skewed data)?
>
> 	Uhm, John, if you check the initial "filter" for the list, I
> was trying to create a list of games that were for the compact Macs.
> (Plus, SE, SE/30, Classic).  Thus, no color games...

>  Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1         + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.

Thanks - duh - my mistake.  Sorry about that (I should read before putting my
keyborad in my mouth).

john