[comp.sys.mac.games] Sim City "cheats"

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent Schorsch) (03/30/91)

I know there is a way to get extra money plus other things in SimCity
(and SimEarth also). How do you do this? what are the different commands? I
have heard about typing "fund" but I don't know where/when to do this.
Thanks in advance!
-Brent
schorsch@oxy.edu

rransom@aclcb.purdue.edu (Father Barleywine) (03/31/91)

This isn't a built in cheat like FUND, but it works if you don't care about
things like extortion and feeling like a scumdog.
	To get more extra money than you really need and to keep the Sims
happy while extorting large quantities of cashola, do the following tax
time "cheat" (if only the IRS was so easy to fool):
	---set the tax rate to 0% in January
	---watch the Sims build like crazy through the year
	---with the Game Speed set to slow wait until the last part of
		December (watch it carefully, because if you wait too
		long you'll actually be stuck with 0% taxes for the year)
	---set the tax rate to 20%
	---watch the horrified Sims begin to get angry
	---when the budget window comes up in January set the tax rate back
		to 0%
	---laugh gaily as the dough rolls in, and evilly as the foolish
		Sims go about business as if you didn't take advantage of
		the poor little buggers
	---repeat as necessary
This "cheat" takes most of the fun out of the game, but it allows you to
create improbably large and inefficient cities.  If you try this reguarly
be sure to keep enough money in reserve to pay for all city services for a
year, because you'll be sure to miss a few extortion times and end up with
0% income.
	Frankly, I get more of a charge out of bulldozing maximum
population density residential areas "for the greater good of the greater
number" (i.e. to put in nuclear power plants), but it's too good a trick to
go unmentioned.  Now if they'd only put in screams when the bulldozers nuke
the townhouses...

					Father Barleywine

dave@cprmtn.UUCP (Dave Heinen) (04/01/91)

In article <00946617.87B76080@aclcb.purdue.edu>, rransom@aclcb.purdue.edu (Father Barleywine) writes:
>To get more extra money than you really need and to keep the Sims
>happy while extorting large quantities of cashola, do the following tax
>time "cheat" (if only the IRS was so easy to fool):
>	---set the tax rate to 0% in January
>	---watch the Sims build like crazy through the year
>	---with the Game Speed set to slow wait until the last part of
>		December (watch it carefully, because if you wait too
>		long you'll actually be stuck with 0% taxes for the year)
>	---set the tax rate to 20%
>	---watch the horrified Sims begin to get angry
>	---when the budget window comes up in January set the tax rate back
>		to 0%
>	---laugh gaily as the dough rolls in, and evilly as the foolish
>		Sims go about business as if you didn't take advantage of
>		the poor little buggers
>	---repeat as necessary

	In the newest versions, 1.1 and up, this "banzai taxation" has
been eliminated.  The tax rate used is the average over the year.

	--Jeff
	(son of the below)

Dave Heinen
Cooper Mountain R&D
16340 SW Nora Rd.
Beaverton Oregon 97007

cncole@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Noah Cole) (04/01/91)

rransom@aclcb.purdue.edu (Father Barleywine) writes:

>This isn't a built in cheat like FUND, but it works if you don't care about
>things like extortion and feeling like a scumdog.
>	To get more extra money than you really need and to keep the Sims
>happy while extorting large quantities of cashola, do the following tax
>time "cheat" (if only the IRS was so easy to fool):
>	---set the tax rate to 0% in January
>	---watch the Sims build like crazy through the year
>	---with the Game Speed set to slow wait until the last part of
>		December (watch it carefully, because if you wait too
>		long you'll actually be stuck with 0% taxes for the year)
>	---set the tax rate to 20%
>	---watch the horrified Sims begin to get angry
>	---when the budget window comes up in January set the tax rate back
>		to 0%
>	---laugh gaily as the dough rolls in, and evilly as the foolish
>		Sims go about business as if you didn't take advantage of
>		the poor little buggers
>	---repeat as necessary

This does not work on the Macintosh Versions above 1.2
I prefere FUNDS anyhow
--
Noah Cole.		(802)-785-4124
cncole@u2.dartmouth.edu

Corey_Lynn_Nelson@cup.portal.com (04/01/91)

Well, if you really want to know, type "fund" while holding down the shift
key the whole time. But beware, greedy mayors are sometimes punished by
diasters

corey_lynn_nelson@cup.portal.com
Voice  (415) 373-7638
BBS    (415) 373-0873
FAX    (415) 373-7639

dlinder@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/02/91)

In article <683@gate.oxy.edu>, schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent Schorsch) writes:
> I know there is a way to get extra money plus other things in SimCity
> (and SimEarth also). How do you do this? what are the different commands? I
> have heard about typing "fund" but I don't know where/when to do this.
> Thanks in advance!
> -Brent
> schorsch@oxy.edu

Just type "fund" when you are looking at your city map and you'll get $10,000!

Also, a sim city bank is available from sumex (I forget the exact name of the
thing but you'll recognize it).  It allows you to start a city with a whole lot
more money than normal!

Good luck.

David M. Linder

ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) (04/03/91)

rransom@aclcb.purdue.edu (Father Barleywine) writes:

>	To get more extra money than you really need and to keep the Sims
>happy while extorting large quantities of cashola, do the following tax
>time "cheat" (if only the IRS was so easy to fool):
>	---set the tax rate to 0% in January
>	---watch the Sims build like crazy through the year
>	---with the Game Speed set to slow wait until the last part of
>		December (watch it carefully, because if you wait too
>		long you'll actually be stuck with 0% taxes for the year)

Huh? How can you miss it, when the budget pops up by itself?

>	---set the tax rate to 20%
>	---watch the horrified Sims begin to get angry
>	---when the budget window comes up in January set the tax rate back
>		to 0%

Oh, the bug is worse that that (but perhaps your Mac is much faster than mine).
When I tried it, I set the tax rate to 0%. Fast speed. On the moment that the
month switched to "jan", I pull the menu and get the Budget window. Max tax.
One moment later - before anyone have time to get angry - the yearly budget
window pops up. Set tax to zero again. Oh, how happy my simms are!

When I want to play SimCity now, I impose the that I'm only allowed to
change tax when the budget window appears by itself.

When I found this "hole in the rules", I wondered why I payed money for this
game... And it isn't the only one.

--
Ingemar Ragnemalm
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar

ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David Worenklein) (04/04/91)

In article <ingemar.670668019@stuart> ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) writes:
>rransom@aclcb.purdue.edu (Father Barleywine) writes:
>
>>	To get more extra money than you really need and to keep the Sims
>>happy while extorting large quantities of cashola, do the following tax
>>time "cheat" (if only the IRS was so easy to fool):
>>	---set the tax rate to 0% in January
>>	---watch the Sims build like crazy through the year
>>	---with the Game Speed set to slow wait until the last part of
>>		December (watch it carefully, because if you wait too
>>		long you'll actually be stuck with 0% taxes for the year)
>
>Huh? How can you miss it, when the budget pops up by itself?
>
>>	---set the tax rate to 20%
>>	---watch the horrified Sims begin to get angry
>>	---when the budget window comes up in January set the tax rate back
>>		to 0%
>
>Oh, the bug is worse that that (but perhaps your Mac is much faster than mine).
>change tax when the budget window appears by itself.
>
>When I found this "hole in the rules", I wondered why I payed money for this
>game... And it isn't the only one.

I believe this bug was corrected in later versions (I have the color version
and the newsletter sent by Maxis said "no more cheating.")

Collected taxes are now the _average_ of the budgeted taxes over the year.
Or so they claim...
David C Worenklein      | No one could tell me where my soul might be;
Columbia College '93    | I searched for God, but he eluded me;
in the City of New York | I sought my brother out, and found all three. -Crosby

francis@magrathea.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.214720.12468@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David Worenklein) writes:

   I believe this bug was corrected in later versions (I have the color version
   and the newsletter sent by Maxis said "no more cheating.")

   Collected taxes are now the _average_ of the budgeted taxes over the year.
   Or so they claim...

Is this SimCity Supreme? I have that, and the cheat works quite well.
(I bought it last fall.  From MacConnection, though, which has given
me slightly old software in the past.)

--
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

jchamber@ecst.csuchico.edu (John William Chamberlain) (04/05/91)

This message is empty.