[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian 1.03 and Starflight crash now

kyt@cs.columbia.edu (Kok-Yong Tan) (04/01/91)

Has anyone had this problem that I'm having now:  prior to installing a
RasterOps 24L card and the RasterOps Accelerator, Solarian 1.03 and Starflight
used to work.  Now, even though I shut off all my INITs with INITPicker and
also tried switching off the Accelerator via software and by preventing the
INIT from loading, both games cause my Mac IIx to crash or hang respectively
when in 256 color mode.

When I try starting Solarian in 256 color mode without any INITs or with INITs,
I can go right up to the first 2 seconds of the first game screen (i.e. past
the statistics and preference screens), then I crash with the screen flickering
between all black, all white and the MacsBug  V6.2b1 screen.  (Yes, I've tried
removing MacsBug from my System Folder before booting to no avail.)  Solarian
will, of course, not work in 16.7 million color mode.  But it at least gives me
a clean exit and not a crash when I try to start it in 16.7 million color mode.

Starflight in 256 color mode loads and then presents me with a blank white
screen.  My cursor disappears and my Mac IIx hangs.  However, in 16.7 million
color mode, it runs, although all the screen text becomes illegible either
because the characters mutate to something else or the colors of the characters
become similar to that of the background.

As far as I can see, the 24-bit color board and accelerator are the only major
thing I added to my system outside of Remember? 2.1.  Can anyone help me?  I
notice that my SimCity and SimEarth seem to work fine when I use 16 color mode.
Starflight also hangs in the same manner in 16 bit color and Solorian gives me
the "...can't find 640x480 screen with 256 color..." error box and doesn't
crash the system.

Heeeeellllllp!  I need Solarian to unwind.

Kok-Yong Tan can be reached at:      | "Oscularis fundamentum!"
InterNet: kyt@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu |	     	       - Annoyed Latin scholar
CompuServe: 75046,256                | Everything that can be possibly
America Online: lallang              | disclaimed is hereby disclaimed.

kyt@cs.columbia.edu (Kok-Yong Tan) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Apr1.154933.15888@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) writes:

   Even though you say you have taken out all of the INIT's have you
   taken 32-bit QD INIT out of your system folder? Both Solarian and
   Starflight would not run for me when I had 32-bit QD installed.
   BTW, do newer versions of Solarian fix this?  I decided to drop the
   game since it was too much of a pain to reboot everytime (about once a
   month) I wanted to play it, and then having to reboot to use my
   graphics programs, do programming etc.

I never had problems with 32-bit QD before.  I mean, I installed System 6.0.5
way, way before I even got Solarian 1.03b1 and that comes with 32-bit QD.  And
Solarian worked pretty well.  However, I'll try it again and see if 32-bit QD
is really causing the problem.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Kok-Yong

tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) (04/01/91)

In article <KYT.91Apr1024929@spruce.cs.columbia.edu> kyt@cs.columbia.edu (Kok-Yong Tan) writes:
>Has anyone had this problem that I'm having now:  prior to installing a
>RasterOps 24L card and the RasterOps Accelerator, Solarian 1.03 and Starflight
>used to work.  Now, even though I shut off all my INITs with INITPicker and
>also tried switching off the Accelerator via software and by preventing the
>INIT from loading, both games cause my Mac IIx to crash or hang respectively
>when in 256 color mode.
>
>When I try starting Solarian in 256 color mode without any INITs or with INITs

Even though you say you have taken out all of the INIT's have you
taken 32-bit QD INIT out of your system folder? Both Solarian and
Starflight would not run for me when I had 32-bit QD installed.
BTW, do newer versions of Solarian fix this?  I decided to drop the
game since it was too much of a pain to reboot everytime (about once a
month) I wanted to play it, and then having to reboot to use my
graphics programs, do programming etc.

Todd
-----
Internet:
tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail:
tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

VICTOR@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (04/05/91)

I have a RasterOps 364 24-bit video card, running System 6.0.5, with 32-bit
Quickdraw, and Solarian runs with no problem (version 1.03).

Mission Starlight does not run, but what confuses me is that Cassidy and Greene
wrote Crystal Quest 2 years before Mission Starlight, and it runs without
a problem. I huess I didn't really want to play the game anyway. . . .