[comp.sys.mac.games] Armor Alley Level 10 Question

pburke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter Burke, MIC, 263-7744) (03/30/91)

Has anyone managed to get past the super bunker past the landing pad?
The six guns behind it shoot the hell out of my copter. No success yet
with shooting loads of the dumb missiles past the bunker. I can only get
some of the guns and by the time I get there again I either miss or the
engineers just walked past. I already dropped paratroopers, but they get
usually wasted by the now deadly accurate opponent before they get their
work done.
So, is there any other way than to just keep trying this way and hope
that I catch the guns and the bunker before the stuff is rebuilt? I have
about 80 funds and 6 helicopters - Do I need more so I can try more of
the kamikaze tactics?

Also: We play Armor alley on apple talk, using 2 IIfx, one IIci and one
IIcx. Sometimes we manage to finish entire battles; on other days (same
configuration - no initis, plain 4-machine net) the thing locks up every
5 to 10 minutes. Is there a known problem that could cause this to
happen?

Peter

jhaslup@cs.arizona.edu (Jason A. Haslup) (03/31/91)

Right now I'm on level 10, with basically all of his guns clear.  Those six
guns after the middle landing pad are a pain... I just made tons of bombing
runs (flying high above them, turning around while dropping bombs).
Occasionally I'd kill a couple.

You can get the guns on the edge by hovering above and just a little bit
behind a bunker, and then shooting off the unguided missiles so they land
on the end guns.  You have to find the right angle, but once you do, launching
off 4 missiles gets rid of two guns.  Then, do the same thing once you get
to the other side of the guns.

Jason
--

                   --- Jason Haslup ---
                at the University of Arizona

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar30.033704.9763@macc.wisc.edu> pburke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter Burke, MIC, 263-7744) writes:
>Has anyone managed to get past the super bunker past the landing pad?

Yes, it is fairly easy.  Just position yourself just out of range of the
guns and fire rockets so they barely clear the roof of the superbunker.
Then after you refill, fly over the remaining guns (2 AA), about-face,
and repeat.  You will kill all the AA guns and the only 2 guns left will
be anti-ground guns; you can just hover right over them and drop bombs until
they are destroyed.  Of course, you should do this after the enemy's first
couple waves are destroyed; otherwise, engineers can getcha.

No kamikaze necessary or desired.  You could also try dropping a load of
paratroopers on the guns if you're unsuccessful with this technique;
then, all you have to do is make sure you've killed everything other than
vans that's coming your way.

Not too hard, but it takes forever for level 10...I haven't finished yet.

bill

jford@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/07/91)

In article <27F5471B.29019@orion.oac.uci.edu>, bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
> In article <1991Mar30.033704.9763@macc.wisc.edu> pburke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter Burke, MIC, 263-7744) writes:
>>Has anyone managed to get past the super bunker past the landing pad?
>
> Yes, it is fairly easy.  Just position yourself just out of range of the
> guns and fire rockets so they barely clear the roof of the superbunker.
> Then after you refill, fly over the remaining guns (2 AA), about-face,
> and repeat.  You will kill all the AA guns and the only 2 guns left will
> be anti-ground guns; you can just hover right over them and drop bombs until
> they are destroyed.  Of course, you should do this after the enemy's first
> couple waves are destroyed; otherwise, engineers can getcha.

I've won level 10 a few times using techniques similar to this.  One thing I'd
like to add, though:  it IS possible to hit those near guns between the super
bunkers with your direct fire missiles!  The secret is to get far enough back
so that they will drop very fast as they clear the bunker, and thus take out
those pesky guns.  Needless to say this is somewhat difficult [especially
without radar], but it can be done.  Right over that bunker before the landing
pad is a good place to fire from; you should be at about 3/4 screen height
(you'll have to fiddle with it to find the exact height.)

Another method is to just take out the right (AA) and center (AT) guns by
skimming the superbunker, and then fly over and nuke the left guns.  This is
somewhat easier, but a little more dangerous -- the next gun after the pair of
s.b.'s will kill you if you aren't careful.

By the way, superbunkers are great to hide in once you own them.  Just watch
out for paratroops dropped on you.

--Jamie--