[comp.sys.mac.games] What is Rail Tycoon?

dmoon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Doksu Moon) (03/21/91)

Okay, so someone please tell me.  What IS rail tycoon from Microsoft?

dmoon@phoenix.princeton.edu

Corey_Lynn_Nelson@cup.portal.com (03/26/91)

Well, Rail Tycoon is a really fun game where the player build tracks and
tressels and buys trains and cars. The object to to build a large RR company
with many connects to many cities. The player has to find resources in one
area, ship them to the factories/refineries, and then move the finished
products to the demand, if need be. There are other (computer) RR companies f
for competition.
I bought it for the IBM many months ago and everyone in the office still
plays it on their breaks.

corey_lynn_nelson@cup.portal.com
Voice  (415) 373-7638
BBS    (415) 373-0873
FAX    (415) 373-7639

rsfinn@CONCERTO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Russell S. Finn) (03/26/91)

In article <40554@cup.portal.com>, Corey_Lynn_Nelson@cup.portal.com writes:
|> Well, Rail Tycoon is a really fun game where the player build tracks and
|> tressels and buys trains and cars. The object to to build a large RR company
|> with many connects to many cities. The player has to find resources in one
|> area, ship them to the factories/refineries, and then move the finished
|> products to the demand, if need be. There are other (computer) RR companies f
|> for competition.
|> I bought it for the IBM many months ago and everyone in the office still
|> plays it on their breaks.

Two corrections: (1) It's "Railroad Tycoon", not "Rail Tycoon"
(actually, the full name is "Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon"); (2) it's
"MicroProse", not "Microsoft" (the difference being that Microsoft
hasn't done a new game for the Macintosh in six years, while
MicroProse hasn't done a new game for the Macintosh in two years.  :-)

MicroProse probably decided to do a Macintosh version of Railroad
Tycoon because its look and feel is similar to SimCity (although, of
course, the subject matter is much different), and SimCity did very
well on the Macintosh.

Disclaimer:  I used to work for MicroProse, and did the Macintosh
version of Pirates! while I was there.

-- Russell S. Finn
rsfinn@lcs.mit.edu

ric@netcom.COM (Richard Bretscheider) (03/26/91)

Corey_Lynn_Nelson@cup.portal.com writes:

>Well, Rail Tycoon is a really fun game where the player build tracks and

(Description of game I'm familiar with deleted.)

>I bought it for the IBM many months ago and everyone in the office still
>plays it on their breaks.

So, is it available for the Mac?   This is comp.sys.mac.games.forreal
isn't it? ;-)

--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider

Corey_Lynn_Nelson@cup.portal.com (03/28/91)

I heard that this was supposed to become available to for the Mac sometime
soon, but I can't remember where I read that.

corey_lynn_nelson@cup.portal.com
Voice  (415) 373-7638
BBS    (415) 373-0873
FAX    (415) 373-7639

mmig6535@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Bloch) (04/04/91)

Yes! I ordered rail tycoon for ibm because it looked really neat! is it
coming out on mac???? I don't have an ibm and would hold off if i could
get a mac version. please write to mee too mmig6535@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
-Mark

Bob.Nordling@f13.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Nordling) (04/07/91)

* In a message originally to All, Richard Bretscheider said:
>>Well, Rail Tycoon is a really fun game where the player build tracks and
>
>(Description of game I'm familiar with deleted.)
>
>>I bought it for the IBM many months ago and everyone in the office still
>>plays it on their breaks.
>
>So, is it available for the Mac?   This is
>comp.sys.mac.games.forreal
>isn't it? ;-)

Railroad Tycoon is slated to be released REAL SOON NOW for the Mac,
last I heard, sometime within the next month.
---