[comp.sys.mac.games] Robot libraries

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (04/09/91)

There has been a lot of flurry going around with the new robot games (Robot
Battle, RoboSport), where you program robots to go around and wage battle
against each other.

Since these robots are separate files, it seems like it would be a great idea
to have some sort of place where everybody can try their robots against
everybody else's robot.  Who knows, possibly someday there could be a net-wide
tournament of robots.

I've been considering getting RoboSport, but it would be much more worthwhile
if I had access to some other people's robots to go against.

Comments?

--
Lance M Orner           | To get a hold of me --
  Computer Engineering  |   --from Internet:        lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr08.203117.388@ecst.csuchico.edu> lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) writes:

>Since these robots are separate files, it seems like it would be a great idea
>to have some sort of place where everybody can try their robots against
>everybody else's robot.  Who knows, possibly someday there could be a net-wide
>tournament of robots.
>
>Comments?

I've had people ask about setting up tournaments or having some kind of
archive, too.  Any suggestions for a good storage place?

BTW, I've heard that RoboSport isn't strictly like Robot Battle or Robowar,
where you create a program and then kick back and watch.  The reviewer
compared it to the old SSI game Computer Ambush, in that you give your
robots orders, they execute 'em, then you give some more orders, etc.  So
the player interacts while the battle is going on.  Therefore, I don't
know that there will be much of a market for a RoboSport robot archive.
However, RoboSport does create "movies" of battles which can be up/downloaded
as a nifty way of gloating about a well-fought battle.

>--
>Lance M Orner           | To get a hold of me --
>  Computer Engineering  |   --from Internet:        lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu
>California State        |   --from America Online:  Caradoc
>  University, Chico     |   --from Eighth Ave.:     "Hey!  Lance!"

Tob
bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu