[comp.sys.mac.games] Phoenix

a42@mindlink.UUCP (Marc North) (01/21/91)

        Now I know I should be able to get past the air-lock,  but I can't.
Can anyone help me?  I have seen both 2001 and 2010 and I still can't figure it
out.  It's probably because I'm over 21yrs old.  I'm getting too old to figure
these things out.

        Thanks in advance.
                                        -Marc North

a42@mindlink.UUCP (Marc North) (01/22/91)

        Mike,
                Phoenix is a game based upon Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 and 2010
books/movies.  The game uses great visuals and digitized samples of the HAL
9000 computer.  It's kind of like a space adventure game, but a bit more
sophisticated.

                                        -Marc North.

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (01/23/91)

What is Phoenix?

mike

a42@mindlink.UUCP (Marc North) (01/23/91)

        Michael,
                Phoenix is shareware and is available on most BBS's. If you
can't find it, then I'll send you it. That is if I can figure out how to do
that on USENET. I'm still a tad new to this telecommunicating thing.
I really like Phoenix. I'd like it a hell of a lot more if I could figure out
how to enter the doors on the inside of the air-lock. You'll know what I mean
if you get a copy for yourself. Both the graphics and audio are awesome. The
game responds to some actions with the voice of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001
and 2010. Very cool.

                                -Marc North.

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (01/23/91)

Who makes this game and how much is it?

mike

tesst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (02/01/91)

People have been asking around recently about this game like it's
the greatest thing since sliced bread.  All it is is a HUGE World
Builder adventure based on the movies 2001 and 2010.  Yes, it has
nice (b/w) digitized graphics and lots of HAL sound clips, but it's
still just a World Builder product.  And a frustrating one at that.
Why?  Because, for one, it takes forever to download (>1 meg
unstuffed, if memory serves) and secondly, it requires a thorough
knowledge of the movies, i.e. play the game while watching the movies
or play the game, take notes, watch the movie to find the answers,
repeat.  Add to this the fact that it still has to use the very
poor World Builder parser and you have a very mediocre adventure
with some very pretty auxiliary files.

Tob
"I think that I'm jazzy like Christ."

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (02/02/91)

I REALLY want this game!  >1 meg unstuffed??? big deal - compress it with
compactor and get ~50% compression.
If someone could do this and upload to an anonymous ftp site it would
be much appreciated

mike
|         Michael Graham            |   We're two doctors...two big doctors - |
|       graham@ug.cs.dal.ca         |   we're not imposters.  - Woody Allen   |
|        mgraham@ac.dal.ca          |                               Sleeper   |

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (02/05/91)

To all those who have requested a copy of Phoenix: I finally received it from
the guy who started this thread (He is now an expert in sending files across
internet).

Anyway, I e-mailed it to sumex-aim (36.44.0.6) last night, so I gather that it
will appear in about 1 week.  There are two files: the main application and a
second file containing the various digitized HAL voices.  Please be patient!

It is interesting to play; however, as someone has stated before, it requires
extensive knowledge of the 2001 and 2010 movies.

Enjoy!--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget
The George Washington University            Wash., D.C.  20503
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science   Voice: 2023954922   Fax: 2023953910

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (02/11/91)

I *know* that I need to be watching the movies in order to play this,
but I am going nuts, and I don't have them or the time to rent 'em, and
jsut want a general hint:  I am presuming that I *need* to 'activate'
HAL in order to get life support, but can I do that simply by
interacting with the pod bay console, or do I need to go somewhere else,
such as the bay with the modules in it that Dave yanked?  Also, HOW the
HECK do I activate him?  I have gotten him to say 'good morning Dr.
Chandra' but that's it!  Argh!  Lastly, the file I d/l from sumex has
only one archive, with only one file.  Am I missing the Hal sounds?
Thanks for any help!

-JBZimmerman!
___________           |-In Washington, undercover DEA agents trick mayor
     ||               | Marion Barry into licking a toad. -Dave Barry
||   ||acob Zimmerman!+> <zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> INTERNET
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

icsu0057@khan.cs.montana.edu (Nick) (02/12/91)

With all due respect to the author and the movies.  I have seen both 2001 and 2010 many times and STILL cannot figure out how to get HAL started.  Do you have to do something like type or say EXACTLY what Dr. Chandra says in 2010 when he first restarts HAL?		icsu0057@caesar.cs.montana.edu

--
					thanks again
					icsu0057@caesar.cs.montana.edu

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (02/12/91)

Well, it seems that Phoenix is getting around now that I posted it to the
sumex-aim archives.  BTW, they would not except the sound file that accompanys
the program, so if someone could give me directions on how to post to umich
(35.1.1.43) or rascal, I would be more than glad to make it available to
everbody.

Hope everyone is enjoying it.  On another note, how do you start up HAL?????
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget
The George Washington University            Wash., D.C.  20503
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science   Voice: 2023954922   Fax: 2023953910

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (02/13/91)

How big is the sound file when compacted and binhexed? Are the sounds
REALLY good. I downloaded the game, but I REALY want the sounds...
coud someone possibly mail them to me?

mike

--

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (02/13/91)

In <3478@dali> icsu0057@khan.cs.montana.edu (Nick) writes:

>I have seen both 2001 and 2010 many times and STILL cannot figure out how
>to get HAL started.

I'm in the same situation as you, but I want oxygene, how do I get it?
Btw, how do I type in commands on the Hal console?

I hate these kind of games, but I can't stay away from them.

winkels@swi.psy.uva.nl (Radboud Winkels) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb12.181241.14093@sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:

>>I have seen both 2001 and 2010 many times and STILL cannot figure out how
>>to get HAL started.
>
>I'm in the same situation as you, but I want oxygene, how do I get it?
>Btw, how do I type in commands on the Hal console?

OK, I already answered two earlier messages through private email, but
it seems a lot of people are stuck, so here are some hints/spoilers:

First of all get the prompt at the console,
then start talking to HAL, but
be polite and friendly!

Concerning the oxygen:
The same as with opening doors, YOU cannot do anything. HAL has to do it
for you, but the he will have to be REACTIVATED.

Good luck,
For more details, contact me at the above email address or the one below.

(By the way: I have got nothing to do with the Game, I just solved that
part of the puzzle)

Radboud

    \\//    _    ____  _     Radboud Winkels
    //\\   | |  |  _ \| |    Dept. of Computer Science & Law
    \\//   | |  | |_| | |    University of Amsterdam
    //\\   | |__|    /| |    Kloveniersburgwal 72
    \\//   |____|_|\_\|_|    1012 CZ  Amsterdam
    //\\                     the Netherlands
                             email: winkels@uvalri.UUCP

winkels@swi.psy.uva.nl (Radboud Winkels) (02/18/91)

OK, a follow-up to my own article. I received many requests through email
to be more specific about how to get HAL started (most of which I answered),
so I thought it might make more sense to post some more clues.

At the concole, seeing a prompt (>) you can start talking to HAL.
He has been asleep for quite some time, so "good morning" might make
a nicer start than "HEY YOU, GET ME SOME OXYGEN !"

Then...

get him to resume his duties, i.e. run the ship and get you that oxygen
and more (i.e. have the ship "care" for good "living" circumstances).

Good luck,
Radboud

    \\//    _    ____  _     Radboud Winkels
    //\\   | |  |  _ \| |    Dept. of Computer Science & Law
    \\//   | |  | |_| | |    University of Amsterdam
    //\\   | |__|    /| |    Kloveniersburgwal 72
    \\//   |____|_|\_\|_|    1012 CZ  Amsterdam
    //\\                     the Netherlands
                             email: winkels@uvalri.UUCP

darin@chem.ucsd.edu (Darin R. Kent) (02/19/91)

Can someone please tell me how to get the environment full of air. I can get
Hal to say good morning Dr. Chandra and that is it. After that, I suffocate.
Please E-mail me some answers if you have them. Thanks in advance.

DDDDD     AAA     RRRRRRR   IIIIII  NN    NN / My Opinions Are Mine Alone!!!
DD  DD   AA AA    RR    RR    II    NNNN  NN / Quick to judge, Quick to Anger,
DD  DD  AAAAAAA   RRRRRRR     II    NN  NNNN / Slow to Understand, Ignorance,
DDDDD  AA     AA  RR    RR  IIIIII  NN    NN / Prejudice and Fear, Walk Hand in
============================================ / Hand.   RUSH - Witch Hunt

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (02/19/91)

Me too!  I'm getting stuck at the same blinkin' place!

Peace and Long Life,

-=> doug <=-

darin@chem.ucsd.edu (Darin R. Kent) (02/21/91)

I am still totally stuck. I cannot activate HAL 9000. I can get the cursor
and get the computer to say "Good morning Dr. Chandra" and then I
suffocate. I try to reactivate the life support system, but the game says only
hal can do that. HELP.

DDDDD     AAA     RRRRRRR   IIIIII  NN    NN / My Opinions Are Mine Alone!!!
DD  DD   AA AA    RR    RR    II    NNNN  NN / Quick to judge, Quick to Anger,
DD  DD  AAAAAAA   RRRRRRR     II    NN  NNNN / Slow to Understand, Ignorance,
DDDDD  AA     AA  RR    RR  IIIIII  NN    NN / Prejudice and Fear, Walk Hand in
============================================ / Hand.   RUSH - Witch Hunt

kem@h.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Kenneth Mohnkern) (02/22/91)

OK, I'm sorry to ask the same things as everyone else, but It's
frustrating to be stuck so soon in the game.

HAL has said good morning. I can't get him to start up life support.
Please send me spoilers (hints are a waste of time with me).

It's been a long time since I've seen the movies and read the books.
 Thanks,
	ken

kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) (04/12/91)

Hi,
   I've been having no luck with Pheonix, the 2001 adventure game.  I guess
it has to do pretty heavily with the content of the movie.  I get HAL9000
started along with life support, but I can't seem to do anything else?  Does
anyone know what to do with the pod?  I can enter it, but nothing works inside.
Please, if any hints, send them to me....they would be much appreciated!

Actual consulting call -"I have this disk         Kent P. Iler
   stuck in my drive and I tried to get           Mainframe consultant
   it out with a fork but ... "                   Kansas State University
Bitnet : kentiler@ksuvm,Internet : kentiler@ksuvm.ksu.edu

ylsul@athena.mit.edu (Young Sul) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr12.154434.2655@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:
>Hi,
>   I've been having no luck with Pheonix, the 2001 adventure game.  I guess
>it has to do pretty heavily with the content of the movie.  I get HAL9000
>started along with life support, but I can't seem to do anything else?  Does
>anyone know what to do with the pod?  I can enter it, but nothing works inside.
>Please, if any hints, send them to me....they would be much appreciated!

Yes! Could anyone please post some hints for all of us frustrated folk? This
game is pissing me off (and I just watched 2001 and 2010!)!

					Young