[comp.sys.mac.games] Question about Vette!

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (04/09/91)

About three weeks ago, someone mentioned something about jumping over to
Alcatraz.  How do you do that?  I've tried many different ways....heading north
on Grant and Stockton, but had no success.  Any help is appreciated.  I am
curious as to how Alcatraz looked like on the inside.

Jaxon.

wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) (04/13/91)

In article <13250@ur-cc.UUCP> jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) writes:
>About three weeks ago, someone mentioned something about jumping over to
>Alcatraz.  How do you do that?  I've tried many different ways....heading north
>on Grant and Stockton, but had no success.  Any help is appreciated.  I am
>curious as to how Alcatraz looked like on the inside.
>
>Jaxon.

Sorry, I exaggerated.  You can't jump to Alcatraz.  You can
get some serious air near the Transamerica building, though,
if you hit the crest of Nob Hill at 250+mph with 0 gravity.  I
really wish there was an option to turn off the airborne
tumble 'cause it takes all the fun out of extended flight,
even if it is realistic.  Here's some more wishes for the next
rev. of Vette:

	Default characteristics: You've done a great job with
	the garage/opponent/course graphics in the game set-up
	front end, but it's slow, slow, slow.  When I was
	working on a hot start for Course 1, I was spinning
	out into the drink every other time.  To slog through
	those screens each time was maddening.  Also, the
	delay for configuring the course is too long.  If the
	target machine has enough memory, Vette should be
	smart enough to dump all the course information into
	RAM at start-up and avoid reconfiguring each time.

	Larger screen:  For those of us with 13" monitors and
	Macs fast enough to handle the increased graphics
	overhead, a larger game screen would be the biggest
	improvement.  The lack of peripheral vision makes
	jockeying in traffic a nightmare.  Also, it would
	increase resolution of far off objects.  At top speed
	you often can't see oncoming traffic until it is too
	late.

	Complete graphics:  C'mon, give us *all* of SF, or
	at least everything north of UCSF Med.  For those of
	us with hard disks, space isn't that much of an issue.

	More accurate graphics:  Vette lists me as still by
	the Cliffhouse when I'm way up past the Presidio.  It
	also gets confused a lot in other areas.

	Better physical maps:  The little map that shows what
	geographical areas are supported is lame.  It's too
	hard to plan alternate race routes because you never
	know when you're going to hit one of those
	end-of-the-world walls.

You listening SH?  Oh, and one small kudo:  I like the way the
F40 is smart enough to block you out when you try to pass.
Nice touch, but I think the graphics should support you being
able to block him into a wall and see his car explode into
flames.  It's only fair....

I'd like to hear some times that people are putting up.  With
ideal conditions (no traffic, Porsche opponent, maxed out
preferences), my best time for Course 1 is 2:20.  I think I
could cut 10 seconds off that with manual shifting, but it's
too hard with no joystick and using the numeric keys.  The
upshift/downshift keys (+ and -) DON'T WORK on my IIcx.  There
are a lot of other bugs too, although none of them fatal.  But
Vette works almost perfectly with Multifinder, which is pretty
good for a large, memory and graphics intensive game.