[comp.sys.mac.games] M&M II help, please!

B_Foster@oxy.edu (04/16/91)

I think I am almost finished with Might and Magic II, but a couple of things
are holding me back. SPOILER ALERT!

I have the four talons and the four "mechanical" parts (the todilor, capitor,
etc.) that the game says I need to retrieve the orb.  I know where the orb is,
and am able to reach it, but every time I get it, it won't let me exit the
dungeon. What do I need to do?  Am I missing something?

P.S. - I've done all of the quests to receive status as the Chosen Ones, but I
haven't entered the cavern of the chosen ones yet.  Do I do this before or
after I get the orb?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon T. Foster
Occidental College
b_foster@oxy.edu

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/16/91)

In article <741@gate.oxy.edu> B_Foster@oxy.edu writes:
>I think I am almost finished with Might and Magic II, but a couple of things
>are holding me back. SPOILER ALERT!

>I have the four talons and the four "mechanical" parts (the todilor, capitor,
>etc.) that the game says I need to retrieve the orb.  I know where the orb is,
>and am able to reach it, but every time I get it, it won't let me exit the
>dungeon. What do I need to do?  Am I missing something?
>Brandon T. Foster
>Occidental College
>b_foster@oxy.edu

Oh man.  You're not going to believe this.  I LOVED this game
and played it for months before finishing it, but what you have
to do at this point is so incredibly, unspeakably stupid!

The answer is: Give the orb to a hireling and dismiss him!!!
Then when you get back to the Inn that hireling will have it
in his possession.

No, this is NOT tricking the program.  The CHEAT book even says
this is what you're supposed to do!

Now I ask you, is that dumb or is that dumb?

(enter Rosanne Barr imitation...)

"Yeah, right--so here I am in this rat-infested slop of a
dungeon, and I'm like trying to get out with this stupid orb...
so OF COURSE it won't let me out with it; no, that would be
too easy!  And of course there's like NO CLUE what I'm
supposed to do, right?!  Give me a break!  It's not like I
haven't busted my butt for hours trying every spell in the
book and going over all my DOZENS of pages of notes!  Well,
so anyway, I then realize that the programmers must have
mixed something in with their late night coffee to dream up
this scenario...and the LAST realistic thing a person would
do in a REAL situation would be to hand the orb to a pee-on
hireling and dismiss him--like THAT should work when you know
that's the last time you'll ever see that orb again, ha!  But
of course that's what the programmers decide to do, see?--
something that doesn't make any sense at all and completely
destroys any faith you had in logical problem solving..."