[comp.sys.mac.games] Reach for the stars

jmh@ns.network.com (Joel Halpern) (09/25/90)

 have been playing "Reach for the Stars" a lot.
 I was wondering whether anyone has tried playing with any of
 the settable parameters (ship costs, ship ranges, tech costs, ...).
 If so, have you found any other combinations that produce enjoyable
 games?

 Currently I play with the options:
	Random star map,
	Star cloud effects
	enhanced vetrans (and vetran opponents)
	advanced rules

I almost always win easily.  I enjoy the game anway. Just
looking for interesting variations.

Thanks,
Joel M. Halpern			jmh@nsco.network.com

hasses@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Stephen Haase) (04/03/91)

What is the current version of Reach for the Stars? My friend has a copy of
1.3, I believe, but that was from 1987. They are still advertising it in the
major mail order places. I would consider buying a newer version, but 1.3 has
some bugs and does not have nearly as many options as my old //gs version had.

Also, has anyone heard of a program called Stunts for the IBM? It is a vector
drawn driving program that dusts any I have seen to date. It is nearly exactly
the same as the game Hard Drivin' in the arcade. Is this ever going to come
out on the Mac? I've heard Vette is pretty good, but I don't know if it would
stand up to Stunts...
Steve
hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr03.041825.6811@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> hasses@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Stephen Haase) writes:
>Also, has anyone heard of a program called Stunts for the IBM? It is a vector
>drawn driving program that dusts any I have seen to date. It is nearly exactly
>the same as the game Hard Drivin' in the arcade. Is this ever going to come
>out on the Mac? I've heard Vette is pretty good, but I don't know if it would
>stand up to Stunts...
>Steve
>hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu

I think the program you're referring to is StuntDriver by Spectrum
Holobyte.  It sure does look impressive.  Since these are the same
folks that did Vette, and sinceVette just appeared, I suppose it's
at least possible that StuntDriver might appear for the Mac at some
point... I'd imagine the graphics engine is pretty much the same
for both programs.  I asked this very question of the Spec. Holy rep.
on CI$, but haven't received a reply yet.

Tob
bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu

jcj@virtech.uucp (Jeff C. Jones) (04/03/91)

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) writes:

>In article <1991Apr03.041825.6811@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> hasses@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Stephen Haase) writes:
>>Also, has anyone heard of a program called Stunts for the IBM? It is a vector
>>drawn driving program that dusts any I have seen to date.
>I think the program you're referring to is StuntDriver by Spectrum
>Holobyte.

No, the program he's referring to is Stunts, by Distinctive Software, published
by Broderbund.  I've got a copy for IBM/compatibles, but haven't had a chance
to play with it yet (reason?  I've got a Mac at home, but Messy-Dos machines
here at work;  I'm too busy to play games at work :-).

If the program is anything like what the box/documentation says it is, it's
a good game (course, we all know that that's not often the case :-).  Looks
impressive, one of these days I'll get around to playing it.

--
Jeff Jones	uunet!virtech!jcj
Virtual Technologies, Inc.

hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu (Stephen Haase) (04/04/91)

In article <110796@unix.cis.pitt.edu> bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) writes:

>I think the program you're referring to is StuntDriver by Spectrum
>Holobyte.  It sure does look impressive.  Since these are the same
>folks that did Vette, and sinceVette just appeared, I suppose it's
>at least possible that StuntDriver might appear for the Mac at some
>point... I'd imagine the graphics engine is pretty much the same
>for both programs.  I asked this very question of the Spec. Holy rep.
>on CI$, but haven't received a reply yet.
>
>Tob
>bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu

No, the game is called Stunts and it is made by MicroMind. You choose from
about 10 different cars and can make your own tracks. The tracks have loops,
jumps, barrell rolls, all sorts of good stuff. After you race a track, you can
view a replay of if from the different perspectives such as the drivers, a
helocopters, a fixed point that you can move and a camara mans. All in all
it is awesome....
Steve
hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu

s8105119@ipc10.tmc.edu (Gary Kevin MAKIN) (04/16/91)

If you are talking about the Mac version of Reach For the Stars,
the latest version is 3.01. The first version was 3.0. What
machine was the version 1.3 you were talking about for?

Gary Makin