[comp.sys.mac.games] Bard's Tale I Help needed

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter &) (04/17/91)

I'm close to the end of Bard's Tale I (or so I believe), but I'm missing a
crucial item.  Any help locating it would be greatly appreciated:

(Spoilers follow)

I've made it into Kylearan's tower and I've found the crystal golem.  In
Harkyn's castle, there's a clue which implies the existance of a crystal
sword, but I can't find one.  Where is the crystal sword?

In a perhaps related question, I am unable to get into Mangar's tower -- I can
enter the door, but a Magic Mouth tells me that I can't enter the tower
without Mangar.  Is this something I should be able to do by this point in the
game?

							Thanks in advance!
								-Peter Lee
--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (04/17/91)

In article <LEE.91Apr16140328@quincy.cs.umass.edu> lee@cs.umass.edu writes:
>I'm close to the end of Bard's Tale I (or so I believe), but I'm missing a
>crucial item.  Any help locating it would be greatly appreciated:
>
>(Spoilers follow)
>
>I've made it into Kylearan's tower and I've found the crystal golem.  In
>Harkyn's castle, there's a clue which implies the existance of a crystal
>sword, but I can't find one.  Where is the crystal sword?
>
>In a perhaps related question, I am unable to get into Mangar's tower -- I can
>enter the door, but a Magic Mouth tells me that I can't enter the tower
>without Mangar.  Is this something I should be able to do by this point in the
>game?
>
>							Thanks in advance!
>								-Peter Lee
>--
Spoilers...

Here's some hints that should help you...
The Crystal Sword is on the first level of Harkyn's castle in the south-east
region.  Make sure that someone has a space to carry the item.  It's guarded by
a Jabberwock.  Supposedly this is what you need to kill the Crystal Golem,
although I believe that I killed it by other means.
You need to find the wizard Kylearan in order to get to Mangar's Tower.  And
even then, you have to go through the sewers...but I think you know that.
I just solved it last night.

Good luck.  Hope this helped.

Jaxon.

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (04/18/91)

In article <13475@ur-cc.UUCP> jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) writes:
>In article <LEE.91Apr16140328@quincy.cs.umass.edu> lee@cs.umass.edu writes:
>>I've made it into Kylearan's tower and I've found the crystal golem.  In
>>Harkyn's castle, there's a clue which implies the existance of a crystal
>>sword, but I can't find one.  Where is the crystal sword?
>
>Here's some hints that should help you...
>The Crystal Sword is on the first level of Harkyn's castle in the south-east
>region.  Make sure that someone has a space to carry the item.  It's guarded by
>a Jabberwock.  Supposedly this is what you need to kill the Crystal Golem,
>although I believe that I killed it by other means.

Even Worse Spoiler....

  If I'm not mistaken, I believe that there is a short cut to get to this
sword.  It's been years since I played Bard's Tale and it was on a C-64, not
a Mac so it might be different, but....

  If this castle is the castle in which you have to kill the stone golems and
the dragon to get into and has 3 levels (it is 3, right?), then there is a
cheap trick to get the sword.

The Actual Spoiler :

  When you first enter the castle, face west.  Then do cast the spell that
makes a wall disappear.  I forget the spell name.  You know which one I mean.
When the wall disappears, ther should be a passageway.  Go right, north that
is, and follow the passageway.  I believe it turns right after a bit.  At the
end of the passageway is the sword.

  These directions are probably a bit rusty, but try them out.  That sword
is really close to the entrance because of the warping effect.