[comp.sys.mac.games] Falcon 3.0 release date

Andre Sean Brown <ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> (04/18/91)

I heard rumors from rec.games.misc that Falcon 3.0 will be released for the
Mac.  However, the release date is not for another 2 years!!!  What's going on
here?!?  Same thing that happened to Vette! is happening to Falcon 3.0.  I must
admit, sometimes I wish I had a <dreaded> MS-DOS machine, even if it has a
clumsy interface and poor hardware designs.  At least I'll get to play these
neat games that are coming out almost every month (like Ultima VI and Wing
Commander).  I guess it is only fair to also mention other software companies
such as Three-Sixty and Maxis for providing excellent mac games while (or
before they developed it for the other machines).  Maxis does an exceptional
job when they released SimCity, SimEarth, and RoboSport.  The mac interface is
reserved through out its line of software and often, they <port> their mac game
to the other platforms.  Why couldn't other game companies do the same thing?
After all, almost every other computer formats are turing toward graphic user
interface that the mac possess ever since the days of the original mac.  Then
there are companies such as Spectrum Holobyte and Sierra-in-Line that does
nothing for its loyal customers.  Lately a lot of people had complain about
the latest Wizardry Bane of the Cosmic Forge.  Before I read these postings, I
was going to go out and buy a copy.  Thanks to others, all I'm going to do is
to write Sir-Tech a letter of complaint.  Thanks to all you guys out there who
provided us these valuable information about softwares that fail to live up to
its standards.  Keep up the good work!

reagle@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (William Reagle) (04/19/91)

Part of the problem might be Spectrum Holobyte's l;ack of a 680X0 programmer. I was at the jan Macworld Expo in SF, and they had a sign posted advertising for a programmer.  Furthermore, I exchanged e-mail with a SH rep on Genie and she said the lack of a 680X0 expert was delaying future upfgrades of Falcon.
  I, too am dismayed by the constant updates of programs on other Operating systems.

Bill Reagle

--
Bill Reagle
NPGS

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (04/19/91)

In article <2126@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil> reagle@cs.nps.navy.mil (William Reagle) writes:
>Part of the problem might be Spectrum Holobyte's l;ack of a 680X0 programmer.

I heard a similar thing on CI$ from the SH rep there.  She said that the
original Falcon was programmed entirely in assembly by the president of SH.
He's been too busy to look at it ever again, and they don't have anyone
there proficient enough in 680x0 assembly to do anything with it.  However,
she did say that if no industrious mac hackers stepped forth, the president
guy was going to work on 3.0 himself, although we probably wouldn't see it
for 2 years or so.  Isn't there _anyone_ out there who wants to work for
SH???

>Bill Reagle
>NPGS

Tob                                   "My parents tried to put me down
bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu              Just because my ham abounds."

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (04/20/91)

In article <117376@unix.cis.pitt.edu> bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) writes:
>                    Isn't there _anyone_ out there who wants to work for
>SH???

It's too little too late.  When Falcon 1.0 came out for the
Macintosh, I thought Spectrum Holobyte would have a great future
creating nice simulations for Macs.  They have placed the Mac in
their back burners for too long to venture into the Amiga and IBM
markets to win me over again.  I wish Spectrum Holobyte well in
their future ventures, 'cuz if I were proficient in 68K assembly
and want to program games for the Macintosh, they would be the
last company >I< want to work for.  How could one be assured
their work won't get cancelled so a non-Mac version could be
brought out to market first?  It took them over--what--3 years to
bring Vette! out.  The ads started to look dull after the first
year--I was amazed to see beta version 1e100 during this year's
MacWorld Expo.  [SuperFamicom would be the way to go if you want
nice games (you've gotta check out F-Zero and Pilot Wings).]

Ooh, I better put on my flame suit.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.032304.4163@ecst.csuchico.edu>, tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu
(Kenneth K.F. Lui) says:

>In article <117376@unix.cis.pitt.edu> bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E     )
>Smith
>writes:
>>                    Isn't there _anyone_ out there who wants to work for
>>SH???
>>

>It's too little too late.  When Falcon 1.0 came out for the
>Macintosh, I thought Spectrum Holobyte would have a great future
>creating nice simulations for Macs.  They have placed the Mac in
>their back burners for too long to venture into the Amiga and IBM
>markets to win me over again.  I wish Spectrum Holobyte well in
>their future ventures, 'cuz if I were proficient in 68K assembly
>and want to program games for the Macintosh, they would be the
>last company >I< want to work for.  How could one be assured
>their work won't get cancelled so a non-Mac version could be
>brought out to market first?  It took them over--what--3 years to
>bring Vette! out.  The ads started to look dull after the first
>year--I was amazed to see beta version 1e100 during this year's
>MacWorld Expo.  [SuperFamicom would be the way to go if you want
>nice games (you've gotta check out F-Zero and Pilot Wings).]
>
>Ooh, I better put on my flame suit.

HA! You don't know how lucky you have it! Amiga 'Vette STILL hasn't
come out, and doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon. 'Matter of
fact, we haven't heard a peep out of SH in months and months.
(despite all the free publicity Commodore gave 'em a while back, too...
ungrateful wretches...)

And Ami Falcon 3.0? Forget it.

What the heck kind of platform ARE they coding for these days, anyway?
Not an I*M, surely. :-/

/ Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu \
| DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT. Kei and Yuri                 ||   //        ||
|             forced me to say it.                            || \X/  AMIGA  ||
\========= "Oh, I'm just a NO-OP in the instruction set of Life..." ==========/