[comp.sys.mac.games] chess on the si

jhsu@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) (03/01/91)

Anybody know what chess programs run on the MacIIsi? Sargon IV crashes and
ChessMaster 2100 has display problems.

Thanks,
Jeff

vaughan@puma.cad.mcc.com (Paul Vaughan) (03/01/91)

The version of ChessMaster 2100 I have for my Mac II could only be
called "the shoddiest chess program in the world". I talked to the
company about it and they said I should get the update version (which
they offered for free). I haven't seen that yet, so I can't comment.
The version I have (1.0 I think) has display problems and nearly every
feature has something wrong with it. Not to mention that it makes
illegal moves occasionally and misses really obvious plays (like mates
in 1 or 2). I did find that getting out one of the feedback windows
fixed the color scheme so that I could at least see the pieces.

--

 Paul Vaughan, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: vaughan@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3639
 Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!vaughan

jhsu@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) (04/09/91)

Would someone please tell me of a viable chess program for the MacIIsi?

These don't work:	ChessMaster 2100 (display problems)
			Sargon IV  (crashes)

Thanks much,

Jeff

hillman@uservx.afwl.af.mil (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr8.225439.15605@neon.Stanford.EDU>, jhsu@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) writes:
> Would someone please tell me of a viable chess program for the MacIIsi?
>
> These don't work:	ChessMaster 2100 (display problems)
> 			Sargon IV  (crashes)
>

> Thanks much,
>
> Jeff

Ditto
Hillman@uservx.afwl.af.mil

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.204757.22035@uservx.afwl.af.mil> hillman@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:
>In article <1991Apr8.225439.15605@neon.Stanford.EDU>, jhsu@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) writes:
>> Would someone please tell me of a viable chess program for the MacIIsi?
>>
>> These don't work:	ChessMaster 2100 (display problems)
>> 			Sargon IV  (crashes)

My company just finished work on two Macintosh chess programs that *do* work
on the IIsi.  Here are one-line descriptions of each, to avoid making this
post into a commercial.

(1) Battle Chess is a 3-D animated chess program where the pieces walk around
    and beat each other up while playing a good chess game between two people,
    one person versus the computer, or over the modem.

(2) Checkmate is the best computer chess program available; it beat
    Chessmaster, Sargon, and AI Chess in our tests, and is for people who
    want a reeeeally good game of chess, with plenty of features to keep you
    happy.

Oh yeah, Battle Chess is black & white only for the Macintosh.  The 256-color
version will be a CD-ROM product.  Checkmate uses 256 colors or black & white.
Both are compatible with every Macintosh that exists today.  They were *just*
finaled and should be shipping presently.

bill

Disclaimer:  I work for Interplay Productions, which publishes both
Battle Chess and Checkmate.

c60a-jd@amazon.Berkeley.EDU (Demian) (04/23/91)

Chessmaster 2100 works fine on my friend's Mac si runnin' system 7f2...

deselms@cals.enet.dec.com (Jim DeSelms) (04/24/91)

In article <12958@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, c60a-jd@amazon.Berkeley.EDU (Demian) writes...