[comp.sys.mac.games] Dragon's Lair

6600kato@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Bryan Kato) (02/23/91)

Man!  I saw a copy of Dragon's Lair running at this
computer store and the graphics are cool!  The
actual game looks like it's as stupid as the arcade
version, but jeez, you HAVE to check out the
animation!

I tried to play it but I couldn't figure out the
controls and the guy who was working didn't know
either.  I wouldn't recommend buying it but go check
it out!

-Bryan

robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) (02/24/91)

A while back, someone posted about "Dragon's Lair," and its graphics.  I
saw it while looking for some other stuff today, and purchased it.

Basic summary:  It's just like the arcade game of the early 80's...Including
most of the sounds (from what I remember of the arcade version).  It's also
got the same movement commands - forward, backward, up, down, swing sword.

And the graphics are pretty nice - full color, good motion for the most
part (very smooth animation).

Nits - The game itself is trivial.  Anyone who tried it in the arcades will
recall that all you had to do was memorize certain moves...

Also, the install program was a buggy nightmare.  I finally stopped using
it, and just dragged everything to the hard disk.  Worked fine.

It doesn't appear to like Multifinder...I'll have to experiment more to be
certain, though.

Final nit - it comes with one of those burgundy-colored key sheets that
are impossible to read except under 10,000 watt lamps! Ugh! ...

summary - nice demo of some mac graphics and sound; boring game...

-rob.

ylsul@athena.mit.edu (Young Sul) (02/25/91)

In article <9365@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600kato@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Bryan Kato) writes:
>Man!  I saw a copy of Dragon's Lair running at this
>computer store and the graphics are cool!  The
>actual game looks like it's as stupid as the arcade
>version, but jeez, you HAVE to check out the
>animation!
>
>I tried to play it but I couldn't figure out the
>controls and the guy who was working didn't know
>either.  I wouldn't recommend buying it but go check
>it out!
>
>-Bryan

Use the numeric keypad (only 2,4,6,8 and 0 for actions) to move your dude
around. Yes! it is really cool, and runs nicely on a Mac SE, but, if you've
played the original video game, you'll find that it is a VERY small part
of the original. Dragon's Lair has ~15 (I think) different screens, while
Space Ace has ~30....furthermore, you'll need about 4 MB hard disk space
for it. To top it off, they've got copy protection that uses a card FULL
of codes on it (which I don't mind), but they use a faint xerox-proof
print that is really hard to read (which I DO mind).....

				Young Sul
				Project Athena, MIT

tavassol@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Dominic Tavassoli) (04/19/91)

	Can anyone help me? A friend of mine gave me a load of his "old" games and among them was Dragon's Lair, a quite cute game with nifty graphics. The    problem is, I can't do anything! At the beginning my character falls through a drawbridge and I haven't even got them time to work out how to do anything>
	It's the Mac II version. Can anyone email me the command words/buttons/
 controls or whatever? I've even tried phoning the company,but they won't listen (and it's expensive). Thanks...

***Dominic Tavassoli              *  "I am not a letter! I am the number 3!" *
***Alcatel-Alsthom R.             *         (the hero in 3 in Three)         *
***France                         *"Hey baby,wanna see my Wand of Fireballs?"*
***tavassol@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr*        Segermund,5th level MU            *

forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu (Scott Forbes) (04/21/91)

tavassol@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Dominic Tavassoli) writes:

>	Can anyone help me? A friend of mine gave me a load of his "old" games
>and among them was Dragon's Lair, a quite cute game with nifty graphics.

I've never heard about this game or seen it for sale.  Does anyone know
what company makes it, whether it is still in print, if it's any good?

Scott Forbes
forbes@csrd.uiuc.edu		Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
strustee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu	University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

utruth@mcs.drexel.edu (Troy A. Ruth) (04/24/91)

Besides the fact that the keys are 0: sword, 2: down 4: back 6: forward
and 8: up,

Be advised that you get *ONE* keystroke for each movement, i.e.
DON'T continuosly BANG '0' to make the sword go, or you'll foul
things up.  Picking the right time to hit the key contributes significantly
to whether or not the action will work and also to how much score you will
receive.

To get by the draw bridge, don't hit any keys, wait until you fall through,
THEN just before the monster strikes, hit the '0' ONCE to take a swipe
with your sword.  As soon as the sword swipe is complete, hit 8 to quickly
climb out of the hole and into the next segment.

You're on your own from here, but have fun through the rapids!

Remember, THINK before you hit a key, because you'll only get one shot!

Troy A. Ruth

Troy A. Ruth

nagamatu@smsc.sony.com (Tatsuo Nagamatsu) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr19.045654.13091@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr> tavassol@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Dominic Tavassoli) writes:

> Can anyone help me? A friend of mine gave me a load of his "old"
> games and among them was Dragon's Lair, a quite cute game with nifty
> graphics. The problem is, I can't do anything! At the beginning my
> character falls through a drawbridge and I haven't even got them
> time to work out how to do anything>

At first, you must try to attack with monster and climb upward.
On this game, acceptable command is only followings.

	0 - attack, 2 - down, 4 - left, 6 - right, 8 - up

You need critical timing on typing these command.
Good luck. More adventures are waiting for you :)

_
Tatsuo Nagamatsu  -  Sony Microsystems Corp
651 River Oaks Parkway  San Jose, CA  95134
Tel: (408)-944-4982  nagamatu@smsc.sony.com