[comp.sys.mac.games] VETTE QUESTIONS

rmf@athena.mit.edu (Robert M Fleischman) (04/24/91)

I have some questions about Vette:

	1. How does one jump to/over Alcatraz?? Whats the street??

	2. What are some techniques of getting away from or avoiding
	  cops??

			thanks,

			Robert Fleischman
			rmf@athena.mit.edu

bernard@cs.colorado.edu (Bernie Bernstein) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.184302.24135@athena.mit.edu>, rmf@athena.mit.edu (Robert M Fleischman) writes:

> I have some questions about Vette:
>
> 	1. How does one jump to/over Alcatraz?? Whats the street??

I have tried it to no avail.  I think any time you are over the
water, you are considered "crashed" and it tows you out.

> 	2. What are some techniques of getting away from or avoiding
> 	  cops??

It seems that once you have gone over the speed limit or committed
something illegal, anytime you are near a cop, they will pull you
over even if they didn't see you commit the act.

In the city I don't worry about them when I hear the siren because
chances are that they are on a side street.

On the highway I have used two techniques:

	1. Get one ticket and then pass them going <= 75mph (in a 55 zone).
    I think they only pull you over for > 20 over the limit.
    Once you are out of range, take off.  Of course once you go >= 76 mph
    they will turn on their siren again you will have to repeat this
    procedure.

 2. If you pass the cop in the far left of the left lane (far away
    from the cop) you won't get pulled over.  I don't know how fast you
    need to go, but I have gotten away with this many times.

Bernie Bernstein
"I left my [tailpipe] in San Francisco..."
bernard@cs.colorado.edu

wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.184302.24135@athena.mit.edu> rmf@athena.mit.edu (Robert M Fleischman) writes:
>I have some questions about Vette:
>
>	1. How does one jump to/over Alcatraz?? Whats the street??

For the last time, you *can't* jump to Alcatraz no matter what
you do with the car.  I'm sorry I ever said you could; it was
a harmless exaggeration.  The graphics set doesn't support
Alcatraz; it's not there to jump over.  What you can do is set
gravity to zero and get a good run up to Pacific Heights.
Done correctly, you can jump into the Bay.  You can also jump
past the TransAmerica tower.

gerson@parc.xerox.com (Dan Gerson) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.184302.24135@athena.mit.edu> rmf@athena.mit.edu (Robert M Fleischman) writes:

	   2. What are some techniques of getting away from or avoiding
	     cops??

In addition to those already mentioned, you can of course outrun them if they
are behind you, turn around and make a quick exit if they are in front of you,
or my favorite if you are near any open ground (including gas stations, parks,
etc) is to go off the road.  Unlike the real cops, the cops in vette must have
eaten too many doughnuts since they refuse to get out of the car, and so will
just circle you.  So wait until have just passed or are on the opposite side,
and make your escape.