[comp.sys.mac.games] OIDS

spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (11/14/90)

OK, all of this talk about this fantastic game OIDS has me wondering:
Is there some demo version of this game lying around somewhere?
If so, where might I find it?

Thanks...

steve

tesst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (02/22/91)

Yup, the real OIDS is out, and it more than lives up to its demo.  Got mine
from Mac's Place (800-367-4222) for $32, though I've heard its around in
retail stores for ~$40.  The level editor is very nice to have, and the
game, overall, is just amazing.

Tob
tesst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb22.160946.11313@cbnewsl.att.com> conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) writes:
>In article <1991Feb21.222246.606@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) writes:
>Some choice words about Phoenix:
>
>This has to be one of the worst (if not THE worst) text adventure I've
>ever had the displeasure of plowing through.  The requirement of "magic words"
>that would only be familiar to someone who knows a certain SF movie by rote
>is an extremely bad design decision.
>
>Don't get me wrong, I like 2001 and 2010.  But if I need to be playing the
>movies back and forth in my VCR in order to solve the game, I'd rather WATCH
>the movies and throw the game into the Trashcan.

I did exactly that.  The sound files are spectacular (and I copied several of
the resources into my system file), but *there is no goal to the game* except
to exactly repeat every move that was made in the movie to reactivate HAL, etc.
	I this is the
absolute worst game I've ever seen (yes, even worse than the "Leisure Suit
Larry" game or whatever it's called).

flame off.

Peace and Long Life,

Doug

tesst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (02/26/91)

Glad you bought OIDS, Dan.  However, just because you threw away your old
demo doesn't mean you don't have a demo - there's one included on the disk!
As for the OIDS-demo-to-sumex requests, I'd be happy to upload it, if
someone (big sheepish grin) can tell me how to upload to sumex!  I also have
begun to accumulate some PD OIDS galaxies.  Most of them are stinkers, but
a few aren't bad.  I could upload those, too.

Tob
tesst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu
"Macintosh Jr. - The Power To Crush The Other Kids"

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (02/26/91)

tesst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) writes:

>Glad you bought OIDS, Dan.  However, just because you threw away your old
>demo doesn't mean you don't have a demo - there's one included on the disk!
>As for the OIDS-demo-to-sumex requests, I'd be happy to upload it, if
>someone (big sheepish grin) can tell me how to upload to sumex!  I also have
>begun to accumulate some PD OIDS galaxies.  Most of them are stinkers, but
>a few aren't bad.  I could upload those, too.

>Tob
>tesst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>"Macintosh Jr. - The Power To Crush The Other Kids"

Yup, you're right, there's the demo, on my disk.  I hadn't even noticed,
I was too busy playing :)

Dan

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/01/91)

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) writes:

>Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the demo was HORRENDOUS!  We are
>talking a screen flickering that would drive me batty were I to play it
>for any great length of time!

I have had Oids for several months now, and I have no idea what flickering
you're talking about....

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (05/01/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.games
Subject: Re: OIDS
In article <28314@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) writes:
>I have a question concerning OIDS.  I was thinking of buying it, but I
>downloaded the demo to try out first.
>
>Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the demo was HORRENDOUS!  We are
>talking a screen flickering that would drive me batty were I to play it
>for any great length of time!
>
>Question:  is this flickering
>	a) caused by my hardware (I ran it on a IIcx,13", 8-bit)
>	b) caused by the demo version (maybe totally different
>	c) caused by the program itself (i.e. does the real program do
>	   this?

Are you using MaxApplZoom?  When I tried out this INIT, it seemed to cause the
OIDS demo to flicker like crazy.  However, the OIDS demo works just fine on my
IIcx (no flicker) without MaxApplZoom.  If you are not using MaxApplZoom, and
you still have the flicker, try playing around a little with your
configuration.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.      internet: dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

--
Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.      internet: dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (05/01/91)

Thanks for all the responses.  The culprit was MaxAppleZoom; OIDS and
MAZ do not mix, the screen flickers badly.

I tried to buy the game today, but all the places I called were either
out of stock or didn't sell it.  Where can I buy it?

	      #2:  If the enemy's in range, so are you
	      #3:  Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you
	      #4:  Never forget that you weapon is made by the lowest bidder