[comp.sys.mac.games] Mac modem games

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (05/02/91)

Hi guys... Someone here on a local BBS asked the question: why
aren't there any games about that we can play over the modem?

So, what I want to know is, what (two-player) games are about for
the Mac that can be played over a modem? I think Falcon can be, I
can't remember offhand. I have a feeling that there is at least
one other, but I may be getting confused with an Amiga game...

Anyway, that's the question. Any ideas? Email me and I will
summarise for the net. Thanks.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Chris Russo) (05/02/91)

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:

>Hi guys... Someone here on a local BBS asked the question: why
>aren't there any games about that we can play over the modem?

Well, two relatively new games come to mind.

Vette! -  It's a well done (for the Mac) driving simulator that lets you
         drive all over San Francisco.  It's at its best when you're
	 racing against a friend on the network or over the phone.

Armor Alley - I've yet to play the real version of this game, only a
	demo.  The game is - almost exactly - a version of an old Apple II
	game called Rescue Raiders.  I really liked it for the Appleii.  The
	controls for the Mac version (the mouse) aren't the best, but it
	looks good.
           By the way, it's a helicopter game, kind of.  The object is for
	you to escort your explosives truck to the enemy's main base.  To
	do this, though, you need to send some tanks to protect it and
	some missile trucks to shoot at enemy helicopters.  Other things
	like ground troops serve their purposes.
	   One of the neatest things about this version is that over a
	network, four people can play at once.  It works out as a 2 on 2
	match up.  The main problem is that you need _4_ copies to have
	this kind of fun.

  The modem games out lately have been a lot of fun.  I hope more come
out soon.

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

rivers@sessun.UUCP (Kristan Rivers) (05/02/91)

VETTE! may be played by modem as well.

My question is just an opinion question. I'm interested in seeing if anyone
else feels the way I do about this:

Why must a person own TWO copies of either falcon or VETTE! (both spectrum
holobyte games) in order to play it across a network or modem? In my opinion,
we should be allowed to play with the same copy. If you have a friend over
with a mac, and want to play against him/her for a couple of hours, you
shouldn't have to shell out the bucks for a whole 'nother game. A compromise
that would be acceptable to me would be to ship these games with a "slave"
copy, that could only be played when it detected its "master" (with the
same serial#) on either a modem or network.

Well, enough complaining for now. I thouroughly enjoy both games, by the
way, if anyone from SH is reading.

--Kristan

benser@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Earl Benser) (05/03/91)

Another recent elease also allows modem play. Maxis' RoboSport allows modem
play. It is a great game and reminds me of Computer Ambush (Apple II and
apparently  Mac) where you control individuals during small environment
combat. My friend and I have been spending about 4 hours a night playing
since we received it a week ago.

We have some questions though....

We are having trouble with modem connections. We would like to use a pair
of Best Data Products "Smart One" 2400 baud modems to communicate but upon
answering the phone the gam immediately reports "Connection failed". Anone
else seen this problem or have a solution. I have verified operation using
an Apple Serial 1200 baud modem from my Apple II days which works just
fine.

Any one know of a "terrain editor" or similar capability to design your own
battle fields?

Thanks in advance....

Earl....

      Earl T. Benser        *                            *
Systems and Research Center *  benser@src.honeywell.com  *
      Honeywell Inc.        *                            *
   Minneapolis, MN 55418    *                            *

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (05/03/91)

I have played the same serial numbered FALCON over both appletalk and
modem without trouble.  I have played VETTE! over an appletalk link without
problems also.  THe one that pisses me off if NetTrek:TRV.

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
| "Oh God, I'm so depressed" - Marvin +--------------------------------+
| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
+-------------------------------------+

rivers@sessun.UUCP (Kristan Rivers) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May3.070721.19639@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
> I have played the same serial numbered FALCON over both appletalk and
> modem without trouble.  I have played VETTE! over an appletalk link without
> problems also.  THe one that pisses me off if NetTrek:TRV.
>
>  jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

  Hmmm... Thats interesting. Both games have not let me play over appletalk.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Neither games will "see" the other game
when I try to do this. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

--Kristan

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (05/04/91)

>> I have played the same serial numbered FALCON over both appletalk and
>> modem without trouble.  I have played VETTE! over an appletalk link without
>> problems also.  THe one that pisses me off if NetTrek:TRV.

>  Hmmm... Thats interesting. Both games have not let me play over appletalk.
>Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Neither games will "see" the other game
>when I try to do this. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

This is how you do it:
1) Connect the two Macs printer port to printer port and Turn on Apple Talk.
2) Load up both games.
3) Choose the way you wish to connect under the communications menu.
4) Select "MAC to MAC" and "Appletalk"
5) One person starts their game it will come up with a dialog that says
    "Challenge: <no one>" and one that says "Accept: <no one>"
6) The other person should start now.  The same dialog box should appear on
   this screen.  Under the Challenge dialog it should have your opponent,
   click the challenge button.  Your opponet should hit the accept button.
7) Kill each other.

The above is how it works with FALCON, VETTE! is a little diffrent.

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May1.171059.344@otago.ac.nz>, stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
> Hi guys... Someone here on a local BBS asked the question: why
> aren't there any games about that we can play over the modem?
>
> So, what I want to know is, what (two-player) games are about for
> the Mac that can be played over a modem? I think Falcon can be, I
> can't remember offhand.

TRACON // (an air traffic control simulator) for the Mac can be played over a
modem.  It requires that Flight Simulator be running at the other end, and, at
the current time, means the other guy has to be running on a PC.  FS
aircraft show up as targets on the radar screen, messages can be sent,
and TRACON aircraft can be "seen" in the out-the-window FS view.  It requires
FS 3.0 or 4.0.

If/when the Mac Flight Simulator re-write is completed, there's a good
chance TRACON will support it, as well.  And if it doesn't at first, it will
eventually... :-)

Advertisement: yes, there's a conflict of interest.  I wrote the Mac port.
For more info, call Wesson Intl at 512-328-0100. :-)

---
Robert Dorsett
Internet: rdd@cactus.org
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd