[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian II

passaret@copernicus.crd.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti) (02/16/91)

Where can I download (FTP, etc) the newest version???

                                                        - MM

--
passaretti@crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret

ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ali Lemer) (04/27/91)

   Any Solarian II fans out there? For those of you not in the know, Solarian
II is a highly polished, incredibly fun and challenging (not to mention
addictive) PD arcade-style game for the (colour) Mac II series. I was just
curious if anyone out there wanted to trade tips, etc.

				-- Ali.

Ali Lemer			|  "Humour is an affirmation of dignity, a
Columbia University		|   declaration of man's superiority to all
ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu	|   that befalls him." -- Romain Gary

tneu1@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steve Linnerooth) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.175655.11136@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ali Lemer) writes:

>   Any Solarian II fans out there? For those of you not in the know, Solarian
>II is a highly polished, incredibly fun and challenging (not to mention
>addictive) PD arcade-style game for the (colour) Mac II series. I was just
           ^^^^

  Actually, it's not free.  The author wants either $25 or $35 for it.

                                              - Steve Linnerooth
Remember:  Nothing can be made foolproof        tneu1@ccvax.iastate.edu
           because fools are so ingenious!     """"""""""""""""""""""""

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.004240.8537@news.iastate.edu> tneu1@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr26.175655.11136@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ali Lemer) writes:
>>
>>   Any Solarian II fans out there? For those of you not in the know, Solarian
>>II is a highly polished, incredibly fun and challenging (not to mention
>>addictive) PD arcade-style game for the (colour) Mac II series. I was just
>           ^^^^
>
>  Actually, it's not free.  The author wants either $25 or $35 for it.

The author is also on the net.  It's $25.  Hi.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"Private eyes / Are watching you / They see your every move..."
     - Hall & Oates

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr26.175655.11136@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
ali@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ali Lemer) writes:
>    Any Solarian II fans out there?
> [...]
> I was just curious if anyone out there wanted to trade tips, etc.

Yes, I would like to trade tips, etc., and I did send Ben Haller
the shareware fee.

I found that I had finally become bored with the game, consistently
scoring in the 200,000's, but with no apparent way to go beyond that
because the gifts no longer come to the bottom of the screen after level 7
or so.  Ben says the gifts can be "captured" anyway, but no one I know has
ever done it.  They often just burp and go off the top of the screen in
1-2 seconds, or follow what Ben calls "crazy" paths around the screen.
Also, I normally get 40-42 on the second type of challenge round (the one
that begins with a stream of Eyedroids coming in from the right) but don't
seem to have to key to getting all 44.  The result?  Boredom because of no
way to continue to improve.  You have to continue to get the gifts, and
you have to ace the challenge rounds, but there doesn't seem to be a way
to do either.  Although I lost interest in the game (in favor of the Chuck
Yeager Advanced Flight Trainer, the commercial Tetris, and others) I would
be interested in tips in these two areas.  Maybe the game would
become interesting again.

Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.    |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

Andre Sean Brown <ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> (04/29/91)

Does anyone out there know if Solarian II can be played on a 1 meg b&w SE?  Is
there anyway to convert the program so that it is compatible with all Macs?

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (04/30/91)

In article <11083@bunny.GTE.COM> CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) writes:
>I found that I had finally become bored with the game, consistently
>scoring in the 200,000's, but with no apparent way to go beyond that
>because the gifts no longer come to the bottom of the screen after level 7
>or so.  Ben says the gifts can be "captured" anyway, but no one I know has
>ever done it.  They often just burp and go off the top of the screen in
>1-2 seconds, or follow what Ben calls "crazy" paths around the screen.

Now come on, if I say they can be captured they can.  In terms of skill,
anyone could do it.  All it requires is that one *think* and figure out
*why* the presents are flying off of the screen.  There is a very good,
and very simple, reason.  I've known several people who have figured it
out without any hints - it's really fairly obvious if you just pay
attention.
  The crazy presents are the only ones that are at all hard to catch.
They require a fairly unobvious kind of movement to coerce them down.
But people have even figured this out all by themselves.

>Also, I normally get 40-42 on the second type of challenge round (the one
>that begins with a stream of Eyedroids coming in from the right) but don't
>seem to have to key to getting all 44.

If you've gotten 40-42, you must have the correct idea, you're just not
quite smooth enough in your execution.  It took me about two days of
on and off playing from the point where I was getting 40-42 to the point
where I was getting 100% about two thirds of the time.  If you're not
willing to practice to that extent, then you clearly have a problem, yes.

  Solarian II is not a *simple* game (like Tetris, which he mentions).  It
requires thought, and it requires practice.  If you do these things, then
you get to see all the nifty later rounds, and *maybe* finish the game.  If
you don't, then you get bored and give up.  Keep practicing and thinking,
or don't.  Your life, do with it what you will.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"Normally I wouldn't spray naked girls with shaving cream,
 but today was an exception."  -  Jeff

In article <Not available> mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) writes:
> It would be nice if there was a way to trick games and other programs like
> Solarian into running on an LC with a 12" monitor.

The question that would not die.  I've had people ask me if it will run on
the IBM PC, too.  No, Solarian II will only run on machines that have
640x480 (or larger) 8-bit monitors.
  And yes, it would be nice if you could "trick" Solarian II into running
on a Mac Classic, too.  Only problem is, there's no way to do it.
Ain't that a shame?

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"One day, you will break out of your spell,
 And someday, you will want me for your own,
 And I'll say 'Welcome to Reality.'" - XTC

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.190518.14202@agate.berkeley.edu>
deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes:

> Now come on, if I say they can be captured they can.

I'm sure they can; I do believe you.  I simply described the problem as
mysterious, with the solution not apparent to me or my colleagues.

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr27.004240.8537@news.iastate.edu> tneu1@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>>   Any Solarian II fans out there? For those of you not in the know, Solarian
>>II is a highly polished, incredibly fun and challenging (not to mention
>>addictive) PD arcade-style game for the (colour) Mac II series. I was just
>           ^^^^
>  Actually, it's not free.  The author wants either $25 or $35 for it.

And it is worth every penny!  When I sent in my cash, I asked Ben why it
wasn't a commercial game.  I haven't gotten a response, but I suspect
that Spectrum Holobyte would snap this thing up if he wanted to sell
it.

--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (05/02/91)

[deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes:]
[] Now come on, if I say they can be captured they can.

[CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) writes:]
[] I'm sure they can; I do believe you.  I simply described the problem as
[] mysterious, with the solution not apparent to me or my colleagues.

count me amongst the grateful deadman fans ...

catching the "shy" and "crazy" presents is non-obvious.  when playing
Solarian II, i adopted the attitude that things happened for a reason
(as Ben sort of hints at in the help screens).  with this reasoning you
can discover why the "shy" presents have a change of heart (you don't
want spoilers do you?).  however those "crazy" presents are another
story.  for the longest time i tried to figure those out and couldn't!
i then gave up in disgust, shook the mouse as hard as i could and it
came to me.  really!!!  circumstances permitting, i can now lure those
suckers in, just about every time.  i think i got lucky but it makes
sense in a strange sort of way ...

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

stur0832@mstr.hgc.edu (douglas sturim) (05/03/91)

Does anyone know the numeric address of the FTP site that contains
Solarian II

Thanks

Doug Sturim
att!chinet!mcdchg!clyde!ds
stur0832@sz8.hgc.edu

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (05/05/91)

In article <1991Apr30.135427.16076@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>  When I sent in my cash, I asked Ben why it
>wasn't a commercial game.  I haven't gotten a response, but I suspect
>that Spectrum Holobyte would snap this thing up if he wanted to sell
>it.

  Well, since I get this question so often, perhaps it's of general enough
interest that I should post a reply.
  When I first wrote Solarian II, I tried in various weak ways to find a
publisher.  I had absolutely no idea how to contact a publisher (little did
I know that most of them have phones :->), like asking friends, calling Mac
magazines, etc.  With hindsight, I am amazed that I was so clueless that I
never managed to actually get in touch with a real honest-to-god software
publisher.
  By the time I got a clue, Solarian II had been posted for some time, and
therefore all of the publishers who talked to me said things like "We'll
publish it, but you'll have to produce a substantially improved version so
all the people who bought the shareware version will buy our version too",
or alternatively "We'll publish it, but you've got to make a Mac Plus -
compatable version", which I didn't want to do.  A lot of them also wanted
things like a CritterEditor (which may be trademarked by whoever Patrick
Buckland sold Crystal Quest to, I wouldn't know, sorry if it is), which I
feel *strongly* is a bad idea if not done very carefully - game design is
not trivial, and the "parameters" of a game are very carefully tuned.
  But the main reason I haven't gotten it published is that:
   1. Publishers are flakes.  They don't return your calls, they have
      absolutely no incentive not to milk you for every last penny you
      own, they want control over packaging, etc., whereas I want total
      creative control, etc.
   2. I make enough money to consider it worth my effort right now, which
      is all that really matters.
  Due to these two reasons, I intend to distribute everything I write that
isn't written under contract to someone else, as shareware.  I heartily
recommend that others do so too; I've had a lot of success with shareware,
quite possibly *more* than I would have had going the commercial route.
And as more people get access to online services, shareware's viability
continues to rise.
  Sorry if someone doesn't think this appropriate posting material for this
list; it seems at least marginally relevant (distribution & publishing of
games, etc.)  If people tell me not to post such things, I'll abstain, but
I've never gotten shouted at yet (at least not for this particular
trait... :-> )

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"Passion is an art form
 It is not sex, it isn't fashion..." - The Horseflies

chaffee@reed.edu (05/06/91)

In <1991May3.141544.1677@mstr.hgc.edu> stur0832@mstr.hgc.edu (douglas sturim) writes:

>Does anyone know the numeric address of the FTP site that contains
>Solarian II

36.44.0.6 (sumex)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.211138.3512@agate.berkeley.edu> deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.135427.16076@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>>  When I sent in my cash, I asked Ben why it
>>wasn't a commercial game.  I haven't gotten a response, but I suspect
>>that Spectrum Holobyte would snap this thing up if he wanted to sell
>>it.
>
>  Well, since I get this question so often, perhaps it's of general enough
>interest that I should post a reply.
[...]
>  Sorry if someone doesn't think this appropriate posting material for this
>list; it seems at least marginally relevant (distribution & publishing of
>games, etc.)  If people tell me not to post such things, I'll abstain, but
>I've never gotten shouted at yet (at least not for this particular
>trait... :-> )

Ben, mark my vote as a shout of "Thank You!"  I always like to hear an
author's reasons for going with the shareware market, and it's
comforting to hear that programs like Solarian _are_ making their
authors some $$$. (Maybe $$?  Or only $? :-)

And by all means, _do_ post interesting tidbits like new games you are
distributing!
--

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.134648.28664@mmm.serc.3m.com>
pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
> In article <1991May4.211138.3512@agate.berkeley.edu>
deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes:
> >  Well, since I get this question so often, perhaps it's of general
enough
> >interest that I should post a reply.
> [...]
> >  Sorry if someone doesn't think this appropriate posting material for
this
> >list; it seems at least marginally relevant (distribution & publishing
of
> >games, etc.)  If people tell me not to post such things, I'll abstain,
but
> >I've never gotten shouted at yet (at least not for this particular
> >trait... :-> )
>
> Ben, mark my vote as a shout of "Thank You!"

Mark mine, too... :)