[comp.sys.mac.games] mac.archive.umich.edu Access

senetza@honte.uleth.ca (Len Senetza) (05/08/91)

The summary pretty much says it all.  There is little to no access via
guest.  I was trying to get the new Robot Battle game and the file was
set to 600.  Also, I noticed that a number of other files were the same,
whereas others were 777!!  What's up?

|  Len Senetza                                Internet: senetza@hg.uleth.ca |
|  Academic Consultant, U of Lethbridge

senetza@honte.uleth.ca (Len Senetza) (05/08/91)

Oops, I meant 'anonymous' instead of 'guest'.  'Scuze.

dauter@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Michael Dautermann) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.151158.25845@honte.uleth.ca> senetza@honte.uleth.ca (Len Senetza) writes:
>The summary pretty much says it all.  There is little to no access via
>guest.  I was trying to get the new Robot Battle game and the file was
>set to 600.  Also, I noticed that a number of other files were the same,
>whereas others were 777!!  What's up?

Hi Len.. (and the rest of the world)...

  The reason the permissions seem to be set so wild is because we are
running the archive under AFS (Andrew File System), where the permission
set up is totally different... (instead of "chmod" commands, I use
"fs" commands to set file permissions)... Robot Battle, and everything
else you see within the archive is very much readable (although you can't
delete it or write over it, heh heh) and retrievable... go ahead..
try it.. it's all there.

Michael....

Mike @ ccs.itd.umich.edu
(  (  ( ( (( in stereo )) ) ) )  )
Mike Dautermann - U-M Ann Arbor, Dearborn and the WORLD!!