[comp.sys.mac.games] What ever happened to Chipwits?

wab@Rational.COM (Bill Baker) (05/09/91)

When the Mac first reared its little beige head, there was a
very cool game called Chipwits, in which you programmed a
robot to navigate different mazes using a symbolic programming
language represented by different icons.  It was an amazing
tool for teaching basic programming to kids.  Unfortunately,
my version didn't run past the first ROM upgrade and I've long
since lost the binary.  I don't even remember who published
it.  Can anyone enlighten me as to who originally put it out
and why they didn't write ports for the newer Macs?

dbk@odgate.odesta.com (Dan Keith) (05/10/91)

In article <1091@igor.Rational.COM> wab@Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:

>When the Mac first reared its little beige head, there was a
>very cool game called Chipwits, in which you programmed a

>it.  Can anyone enlighten me as to who originally put it out
>and why they didn't write ports for the newer Macs?

I don't know all the answers, but I have some clues.

Chipwits was written by BrainPower, Inc. I think they are now extinct
(unfortunately for all of us, IMHO). Two years ago they wrote a very neat
hypertext editor called ArchiText, which was powerful, but had a few
MacFlaws (e.g., Undo didn't work). I waited and waited for a new version,
then eventually tried to track them down and found out they had
disappeared. If anybody knows anything about either of these programs, or
where I could get a hold of the authors, I'd be grateful.

--
Odesta Corporation           | Whatever is, was. Whatever was, will be.