[comp.sys.mac.games] New game called Spectre?

gousha@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Gousha) (05/06/91)

I've been hearing rumors of a new game coming called Spectre.
Apparently it's a tank battle game with network capablities.

Anybody know anything about this?

Charles Gousha                 |    "Yes, Star Trek IS a way of life"
gousha@cory.berkeley.edu       |               (my own philosophy)
All normal disclaimers apply, as well as some abnormal ones.

coganman@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Andrei Cogan) (05/06/91)

    I've seen a pre-release version of Spectre, so I guess I can tell you what
    it's like. Spectre is a tank game vaguely similar to the old Battle Zone,
    in which you are the pilot of a tank (no! surely you jest!).

    The graphics are just 3-D vector graphics, but they're done really smoothly
    and scroll along with very little jerkiness. You can customize your
    tanks to a certain extent, and the game is playable over a network,
    although the version I saw had this feature either disabled or unimplemented

    All in all, a very fun and well-designed game.

       -A

Andrei Cogan (coganman@ocf.berkeley.edu)   ||| "When in doubt, panic."
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you think it will take, even if
   you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

choda@milton.u.washington.edu (Bob Marley) (05/06/91)

I too have had the opportunity to play specter. It is not a terribly bad game.
Although it gets pretty hard after the 12th level and grenades are active...
I have also been able to try it out over a network. I played over Tops. You
need to seperate serial numbers for it to work. You can play several games
against your opponant (in network), such as flag run, and others... To tell
you the truth I thought the network gaming got boring after a while, as either
your opponant was much better than you and kept on kicking your butt, or it
was the opposite, there was no computer involvement invovled (heh)... Any
how, I believe that this game requires color, and I think it will be a hit.

eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May6.072743.5966@milton.u.washington.edu> choda@milton.u.washington.edu (Bob Marley) writes:
>I too have had the opportunity to play specter. It is not a terribly bad game.
>Although it gets pretty hard after the 12th level and grenades are active...
>I have also been able to try it out over a network. I played over Tops. You
>need to seperate serial numbers for it to work. You can play several games
>against your opponant (in network), such as flag run, and others... To tell
>you the truth I thought the network gaming got boring after a while, as either
>your opponant was much better than you and kept on kicking your butt, or it
>was the opposite, there was no computer involvement invovled (heh)... Any
>how, I believe that this game requires color, and I think it will be a hit.

I too had the chance of playing the game and also found the game boring after a
few levels (I've actually taken the time and played upto level 50+, everything
after level 20 is the same).  I too found that you usually get one opponent who
is weaker and the other who just wins game after game after game, etc.

FYI, Spectre REQUIRES a color macintosh, ie. will work only on 68020 and 030
machines only.

Steven
(No Fancy Attachments Here)

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (05/07/91)

Incredibly enough, I also played Spectre.  The movement is definitely very
smooth.  The graphics are simple vector, but this is probably necessary to
keep movements and updates smooth.  Playing one on one on a net really isn't
too fun.  However, how about playing many people on a net?  It does allow
more than one on one...at least that was my impression.  I also wonder when
they plan to release it...

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Philip Wong
(301) 235-3998

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (05/08/91)

In article <282543A2.1763@orion.oac.uci.edu> eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) writes:

>FYI, Spectre REQUIRES a color macintosh, ie. will work only on 68020 and 030
>machines only.

Minor nit: Spectre runs on the LC, all IIs, and the SE/30 (at least the Help
info claims this).  The graphics are pretty smooth on the SE/30 B&W monitor.

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (05/09/91)

From article <8271@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, by ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong):
> Incredibly enough, I also played Spectre.

It seems that EVERYBODY BUT ME has seen or played this game.  You'd think
that as the designer of the original BattleZone they would have let me
in on the biggest non-secret in Mac games, but noooooooooo....

<sounds of a depraved ("on account I'm deprived") game designer crying in his beer...>

	- Ed Rotberg -
	- Atari Games -

calvin@leland.stanford.edu (05/09/91)

Luh) writes:

>>FYI, Spectre REQUIRES a color macintosh, ie. will work only on 68020 and 030
>>machines only.
>
>Minor nit: Spectre runs on the LC, all IIs, and the SE/30 (at least the Help
>info claims this).  The graphics are pretty smooth on the SE/30 B&W monitor.

It does run on an SE/30. I've done it.

Peter Chang                        | "Better to Trade Knowledge than"
E-Mail: calvin@portia.stanford.edu |  Something of Value"
Snail Mail: PO Box 9603            |
            Stanford, CA  94309    | "Eagles may soar, free and proud,
                                   |  but Weasels never get sucked into
                                   |  Jet Engines"

jmp@jaco.Frame.COM (Jeff Papineau) (05/11/91)

ED,

Since I can't find you using a return address, here it is in the public eye:

|> It seems that EVERYBODY BUT ME has seen or played this game.  You'd think
|> that as the designer of the original BattleZone they would have let me
|> in on the biggest non-secret in Mac games, but noooooooooo....
|>
|> <sounds of a depraved ("on account I'm deprived") game designer crying in his beer...>
|>
|> 	- Ed Rotberg -
|> 	- Atari Games -

I have a 6 license copy of the latest beta. BEST MAC GAME I EVER PLAYED.

If you come by the house with your Mac II, I will play you.

Jeff Papineau
N. San Jose, CA

408-946-6743
408-922-2738 days